In a post on the Twitter website, Project Manager Sung Hu Kim said the update would enable users to view media within the Twitter app and help them stay up-to-date.
“When you tap a Tweet linking to a Kickstarter project, for example, you can play its video directly from the Tweet details view in your app,” Kim said. “You can also read article summaries when you tap Tweets linking to sources like The Atlantic or play videos or view images when you expand Tweets linking to websites like Etsy and Vimeo.”
The new search features will allow users to “see more suggestions when you search for people”, and push notifications will help users stay on top of specific tweeters with a notification every time the person they are following posts a Tweet.
Twitter for iOS Version 4.3 is available for free on the iOS App Store.
The full list of new features is:
- Expanded Tweets: When you view Tweet details containing links to partner websites, you can now see content previews, view images, play videos and more (this feature is rolling out gradually).
- Enhanced experience around selected events with the best Tweets and photos from those involved.
- Push notifications for Tweets: Choose to receive notifications from people you follow anytime they tweet or retweet.
- Ambient notifications: Enable you to see brief non-interruptive notifications in the status bar while you are using the app.
- Improvements to search autocomplete for users.
- Discover: Now indicates when new stories are available for you to view.
- Tappable avatars take you directly to user profiles.
- Performance improvements.
- Support for password entry in app when experiencing authentication issues.
- Hungarian language support.
- Updated with new Twitter bird.
- Many other tweaks, polish, and bug and crasher fixes.