Setting up Apple Pay in Australia

Macworld Australia Staff
19 November, 2015

If you’ve got and iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus or later, or an iPad Pro, iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 3 and later, iOS 9 or later and an American Express issued American Express credit card, you can set up Apple Pay in Australia from today.

Note: Amex cards issued by a bank are not supported.

I’ve set up Apple Pay on my iPhone 6s and the process was quite straightforward.

Apple Pay on the iPhone

Start by launching the Wallet application on your iPhone. You’ll see a new section in the app, above the cards area, offering you the opportunity to add a credit or debit card to your iPhone.

It’s important to note Apple’s agreement with American Express only includes cards it has issued. That means American Express cards issued by the banks aren’t part of the deal and won’t work.

If you’ve already registered your American Express card with Apple for use in the App Store, all you need to do is enter the card’s security code and a one-time code that’s sent to you via the email address you’ve registered with Apple or via SMS to the mobile number you’ve set up with Apple.

Once the verification is complete, the card is ready to use.

If you’re using a credit card you’ve not used with Apple, then the ‘Add Card’ process will start by activating your iPhone’s camera and capturing the card number. You’ll then need to confirm the expiry date of the card, enter the security code and follow the same verification procedure by either email or SMS.

Apple Pay on the Apple Watch

If you’ve got an Apple Watch and want to use that for contactless payments, launch the Watch app on your iPhone. Open the Wallet section and tap the ‘Add’ button adjacent to the card you wish to use on your Apple Watch.

You’ll need to go through a similar verification process using the card’s security code and a one-time passcode sent to you either by email or SMS.

Once that’s done, you can start making purchases while leaving your wallet at home.

15 people were compelled to have their say. We encourage you to do the same..

1. Peter R says:

When will westpac offer apple pay in Australia ??

There’s no word on any of the big banks. I understand that the stand off is over Apple’s cut of the fees. But I suspect if Amex records increased transactions and new customer growth that starts to cost the banks that they might change their negotiation position with Apple.

Westpac replied to a tweet from me – “We have no immediate plans to accept Apple Pay, but we’ll let our mobile devs know of your feedback”.

4. Charms says:

ANZ call centre didn’t seem to know what I was asking – said something about Android working to which I retorted that Android is not a secure system. Was told if I wanted to complain then use the online complaint forms. The whole debacle caused me to look at AMEX offerings and their Qantas Discovery Card looks very good compared with ANZ Amex. Points for all purchases on 1 for $1 basis and $0 annual fees – so maybe that it the way to go and the more customers who exit the bank CC the more pressure to sign up for ApplePay.

5. Michael says:

I’m afraid the banks in Australia don’t face enough competition to give a rats about Apple Pay and Apple will find its negotiation position far weaker than in the cut-throat banking wirld in the US. It may be a VERY long time long time before Apple Pay is useful here. AMEX? FFS!

6. Michael says:

I used it this morning at my local Woolworths supermarket. I paid using my apple watch. It was so easy and simple. I don’t think the check out operator was overly impressed but I was.

7. Vulch says:

Wow, so not even AMEX cards issued by other banks! So Apple Pay in Aust will be able to be used by…almost nobody.

Good job Apple.

8. Robert Dorr says:

Hooray at last! Well at least it is a start. Apple Pay is the primary reason I purchased my iPhone 6 over 12 months ago. Amex I use as my primary card and I tend to shop at Amex serviced outlets whenever I can. No more misplaced Amex card and hours of searching/recollecting searches as I always know the location of my phone! Thanks to Amex also!

9. Michael says:

I signed up last night. Used it at my local Woolworths supermarket paid for groceries using my Apple Watch. Simple and easy. Only available for AMEX card holders. You can get AMEX cards that are fee free like the QANTAS Discovery card. The card has to be directly issued by AMEX

10. Brandon Cheshire says:

What nonsense is this? In Australia, most vendors either deny purchasers the use of American Express cards or want to pass on to purchasers an exorbitant merchant fee. I stopped using AE a long time ago.

11. Paul says:

I asked ANZ a while back if and when they were going to offer Apple Pay and they told me they had no plans and were working on their own mobile payment system. I told them this was a stupid move and I will move all my banking including credit card to the first bank to offer Apple Pay. They really didn’t seem to worried.

I then repeated this question the other day when Amex started with Apple Pay and this time they said they were working on it and hopefully a deal will be done soon. Again I told them delaying it was stupid and the first bank to offer Apple Pay to their customers would be a winner.

Of course I’m not expecting the greedy banks to listen to just a small customer like myself but it would be great if the banks, for once listen to what their customers want. Our banks make billions of dollars in profit each year and they charge excess credit card fees, so I’m sure they could afford to pay Apple a small fee for each transaction. If the big banks in the US can agree to Apple’s terms and I can’t why the greedy Australian banks can’t.

I guess it’s only going to be a game of wait and see.

12. Mike says:

I emailed westpac regarding Apple Pay, and this is the reply they gave me:
    “At this time we have no date for release of ApplePay functions with Westpac products.

Advertising will be done before the release so please visit our Westpac Website regularly for our latest updates.”

13. Graeme Pearce says:

I used Apple Pay at Harvey Norman for a relatively large purchase. Slick, really slick. I am sold, will use this system at every opportunity.

Very fast and absolutely secure.

14. Larry Hermann says:

I signed up for an AMEX discovery card few weeks ago so now have Apple pay option, but the wording at end of article I can now leave my wallet at home is hyperbole for Australian conditions. Yes it works fine at Coles and Woolworths. Use it at 7 11 (which accepts AMEX) and the whole system just doesn’t work for no obvious reason). Try it at JB (which also accepts AMEX) and also just won’t work. Apart from some of the big chains like Myers or David Jones or Bunnings only a fairly small group of smaller merchants accept AMEX. So as much as I’m also enthusiastic to see this very useful tech get rolled out in this country, it remains very limited even when you do have an AMEX card set up on your iPhone. Btw the AMEX discovery frequent flyers card (the one I got) has no annual fee which is obviously good. What I don’t like about AMEX is their 72 hour processing time. I’d much rather view my cash flow without such a long lag but that’s just how it is with AMEX. Yes let’s see if our tardy banks here finally get with the program (it’s a joke really because they are the most wealthy and powerful institutions in the country so for them to want to quibble about a fraction of a percentage with Apple really is laughable. If they were struggling then maybe fair enough to try and drive hard bargaining with Apple but they are nothing of the sort)

15. Larry Hermann says:

I signed up for an AMEX discovery card few weeks ago so now have Apple pay option, but the wording at end of article I can now leave my wallet at home is hyperbole for Australian conditions. Yes it works fine at Coles and Woolworths. Use it at 7 11 (which accepts AMEX) and the whole system just doesn’t work for no obvious reason. Try it at JB (which also accepts AMEX) and also just won’t work. Apart from some of the big chains like Myers or David Jones or Bunnings only a fairly small group of smaller merchants accept AMEX. So as much as I’m also enthusiastic to see this very useful tech get rolled out in this country, it remains very limited even when you do have an AMEX card set up on your iPhone. Btw the AMEX discovery frequent flyers card (the one I got) has no annual fee which is obviously good. What I don’t like about AMEX is their 72 hour processing time. I’d much rather view my cash flow without such a long lag but that’s just how it is with AMEX. Yes let’s see if our tardy banks here finally get with the program (it’s a joke really because they are the most wealthy and powerful institutions in the country so for them to want to quibble about a fraction of a percentage with Apple really is laughable. If they were struggling then maybe fair enough to try and drive hard bargaining with Apple but they are nothing of the sort)