The iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus have barely launched – and we’re already thinking about next year’s iPhone 7. The tech world has a short attention span, I guess. The web is full of speculation about new iPhone(s) that Apple will launch in 2016, so in this article we’re going to gather all the rumours about the iPhone 7: its release date, design, specs and features, and any leaked photos and concept illustration that we get hold of.
We’re sure to see a next-generation iPhone in 2016, but what will the new iPhone 7 look like? (Traditionally, Apple alternates between internal upgrades for the ‘S’ update, then a physical redesign for the full-number update, so a radically redesigned chassis could be on the cards.) What new features can we expect? And when will the iPhone 7 come out? We round up the evidence to bring you everything there is to know about the iPhone 7 so far.
Bookmark this page for a regularly updated summary of all the information currently available – and all the rumours doing the rounds – related to the iPhone 7: details, clues, hints and rumours, as well as any leaked photos of the iPhone 7 that emerge. We’ll update the article whenever we hear worthwhile new information (or scurrilous but interesting gossip) on the subject of the next iPhone.
Main sections in this article:
- Macworld‘s verdict on the iPhone 7
- Introduction: What is the iPhone 7?
- iPhone 7 launch date rumours
- iPhone 7 design rumours (updated 21 October with rumours of a buttonless design)
- iPhone 7 new features rumours (updated 16 October with evidence from a new Apple patent)
- iPhone 7 specification rumours (updated 21 October with new rumours about Intel inside)
- iPhone 7 images and videos: leaked images, concept illustrations etc (updated 21 October with new concept images)
If you’re looking for information about the current iPhone range, by the way, read our iPhone 6s review, Phone 6s Plus review, iPhone 6 review, iPhone 6 Plus review and iPhone 5s review, and our iPhone buyers’ guide.
Finally, find out what’s in store for Apple fans throughout the rest of this year: Apple predictions for 2015. And take a look at Apple patents and the clues they offer about the future of iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Mac.
In a nutshell: Macworld‘s verdict on the iPhone 7
In our iPhone 7 rumour round-up we cover a lot of ground: you’d be amazed by the clues, hints and general speculation about the iPhone 7 that people have managed to dig up. But for those who don’t want all the detail, the following section sums up our verdict on the whole thing. Consider it a sort of TL;DR for the article as a whole.
In a nutshell, then, we reckon:
1) Apple will launch a couple of new iPhones in September 2016.
2) We expect a 4.7in phone (called the iPhone 7), and a 5.5in model (the iPhone 7 Plus). If Apple does make another 4in iPhone (which, thanks to the success of the larger iPhones, is by no means a certainty) then we think it’ll be called something like the iPhone 7 mini.
3) The iPhone 7 is likely to get a substantial physical redesign after the largely identical iPhone 6/6s generations. It’s too early to know what direction Apple will pick, but it’s likely to be thinner than ever: putting the ‘cut-down headphone socket’ patent into action would be one way to help achieve this.