Other World Computing is an Illinois-based US company specialising in Mac and PC upgrades and accessories. This month it was named the Green Tech Company of the Year by Business Intelligence Group (BIG) for its corporate environmental protection efforts.
The awards panel used a variety of judging criteria and selected Other World for its achievements in a number of areas, including: its Vestas V39-500 kW Wind Turbine, which can actually generate more energy than the main headquarters uses; the use of packaging materials and building materials that have a low environmental impact; and the installation of a geothermal heating and cooling system that delivers three times the energy efficiency rating of conventional natural-gas-based systems.
Other World Computing has long been at the vanguard of green business practices, working to reduce its environmental footprint right from its first day of operations back in 1988.
In 2008 it moved into new state-of-the-art, low environmental impact premises that became fully on-site wind powered by the following year.
In 2010 Other World received the Green Building Certification Institute awarded OWC LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum Certification – the highest possible level.
Other World Computing’s reduce, reuse and recycle efforts include the following strategies and tools:
- on-site Vestas V39-500 kW wind turbine
- geothermal underground system for heating and air-conditioning
- high energy value materials in roofing and walls
- Pyrolytic glass to reduce UV rays and cooling costs
- interior lighting enhanced with daylight harvesting technology
- interior wall and floor coverings that reduce emissions of VOC (volatile organic compounds)
- groundwater protected by a bio-aquifer storm system
- high-efficiency, water-saving plumbing fixtures
- ‘smart room’ technology to reduce energy use in unused spaces
- in-house water filtration to reduce plastic bottled water use
- high-end air filtering for staff health benefits
- continual recycling programs with ‘Zero Waste’ goal, and
- office and warehouse layouts optimized for efficient heating/cooling.
David Amsallem, BIG Awards judge and CEO of HeyBubble.com said, “It’s great to see a company with such big environmental achievements.” For a full list of this year’s BIG winners, visit http://bigawards.org.
by Macworld Australia staff