New Apple TV is here – Apple Tax is alive and well

Anthony Caruana
27 October, 2015

First, the good news.

Apple has launched the new Apple TV  in Australia. There are two models, one with 32GB of internal storage and the other with 64GB. It runs the all new tvOS, which brings apps and games to your TV with the promise of continuity between your TV and other Apple devices. So, if you’re playing a game on your iPhone, you can continue it on your TV when you get home.

The Apple TV  also boasts an all new remote that doubles up as a game controller.

Now the bad news.

Local prices for the new Apple TV  are $269 for the 32GB with the 64GB coming in at $349. US prices are US$149 and US$199 respectively. Or, about $205 and $274. Even when you add 10 percent to those for GST we’re getting slugged a premium.

Clearly, Apple is taking a very conservative position with respect to future currency fluctuations. But the often maligned ‘Apple Tax’ seems to be back. Until recently, local prices were either close to par with the US or, in a few cases, better. Until the recent changes made in the App Store, the exchange rate was working in our favour.

But I expect there will be a few suitcases coming back from US holidays with some extra Apple gear over the coming months.

9 people were compelled to have their say. We encourage you to do the same..

1. AppleMacUser says:

Is there something unique about televisions in Australia? i.e. if you plugged in a US-sourced Apple TV, would it still handle the Australian television standards? Or is my thinking just a legacy of the analogue TV world, and digital TV is digital TV anywhere? (I am still having fun with US-sourced DVDs in Australian DVD players)

I’m in the US and planning to buy one before I leave so I’ll let you know next week.

However, other than the power cable, there’s no other localisation. The content localisation is via your iTunes account.

3. Stephen Finlay says:

Well, actually it is an Apple TV 4 that went on sale today.

4. MBPman says:

The AUD price looks about right – or at least not outrageous. I work in finance and we give forecasts to help our clients manage their global investment and risk exposures. There will be currency bounces but there is a chance the USD could be much closer to 60 cents to the AUD in the next 12 months. This is an over simplification of how they manage their global currency exposures but I f I were running Apples currency exposures I’d probably like to use 65 cents to hedge the risk. That makes USD149 look like AUD229 or AUD251 if you add 10% GST. OK at AUD269 for the entry level version still seems a bit rich but understandable.

5. Stuart says:

Have a friend going to USA. Would happily get me one but since the power is built in not a power pack it wouldn’t be any good. 110 vs 240 here. Guess I’ll bite the bullet and just get it.

I’m getting one from the US while i’m here

7. Jamie says:

Yep, Apple is all about profit and mediocre products now. They no longer produce items with the ‘wow factor’ (other than – wow that is expensive!).

This long time Apple user won’t be spending any more of his hard earned cash on Apple gear.

Case in point why get an Apple TV for Plex at $299 NZ when I can get a $89 Raspberry Pi 2 that will do it just as well.

8. Craig says:

Few things here, power USA v AU. The power supply should be fine, most devices today are made to switch for the right voltage, I’d be more concerned about getting the right lead.

As for connecting to your TV, it uses HDMI which is a universal standard, so that should not be an issue.

Of course check with Apple or retailers before just in case they changed things or just buy locally, it might cost more than the US but it’s still a good price for a fantastic product. I can’t wait to upgrade my old AppleTV box.

9. Louie says:

Yeah completely agree Jamie. I’m a long time Apple user but the products are now average and very overpriced. Apple is also avoiding it’s social contract and making an arse of itself with very dodgy tax arrangements. Lastly, they keep thumbing their noses at once loyal users by dropping previously excellent software, presumably because it is not adding to their billions in profit fast enough. “Think Different” has become “Think Greed”.