Latest iPhone 6c rumours: February debut, but no 3D Touch

Caitlin McGarry
3 December, 2015

iPhone-5-Macworld-Australia4At this point, we’re not sure if the long-rumoured 4in iPhone 6c is a real product or a figment of our imaginations, but the rumour mill continues to churn with new details about Apple’s petite ‘budget’ phone. The latest: Apple plans to announce the 6c in January and release it in February.

According to Chinese site G for Games, which cites a Chinese website with information from unnamed sources (including, apparently, Foxconn insiders), the pint-sized iPhone 6c won’t be wrapped in candy-coloured plastic like the 5c. Instead, Apple is reportedly designing a metal body that will come in various colours. The 6c will also be cheaper than the 6s and 6s Plus at around US$400 to US$500, which means it will ship without the new iPhones’ flagship feature, 3D Touch.

The 6c will reportedly include Touch ID and support Apple Pay, which is consistent with past rumours.

The story behind the story: We’ve been hearing about a new, more affordable 4in iPhone for months now – some rumours pegged its release to the September iPhone 6s launch event, which obviously didn’t happen. Are these rumours the result of wishful thinking or actual manufacturing intel? That remains unclear. However, it would be unusual for Apple to release a new iPhone in February after the holiday shopping blitz. But perhaps the company is hoping to keep iPhone sales at peak levels in the post-holiday slowdown by releasing a new device for 4in phone fans. Apple has proved in the past, most recently with the iPad Pro, that various device sizes appeal to different markets. Like iPads, iPhones aren’t one-size-fits-all.

Would you pick up a 4in iPhone 6c if it launches in February? Let us know in the comments.

8 people were compelled to have their say. We encourage you to do the same..

1. Bruce S says:

I would consider it as a birthday present for a grand-daughter. I already have an iPhone 6s Plus as well as an iPad Air, iMac and my latest acquisition, an Apple Watch, oh, and an Apple TV …. that’s it (I think). So that’s enough, no more! … though the latest iMac looks tempting.

2. Rossco says:

Yep I’d consider it but buying would depend on cost and features. Huawei is quite tempting at the moment.

3. Rossco says:

I would consider it but buying would depend on cost and features. Huawei have good features, I like HTC’s high megapixel camera so an iPhone would need to compete.

4. Colin says:

I would be interested in a 6c if it had a better camera to replace my wife’s 3s. This would be very dependent on price. Apple prices have not been good with the iMacs and 6s so I am not holding my breath. Cameras on Huawei’s have improved so they are in the mix.

5. Lindsay says:

Yes, for sure. I recently spent five days with an iPhone 4s after my 6s Plus was damaged. It was a breath of fresh air to have such a small device in my pocket and apart from the obvious speed difference, there wasn’t a negative thing I could say about it. For me at least, the 6s Plus is just too big, the 6s is quite acceptable, but the 4s size is killer.

There is no doubt the 6c’s camera will be a huge step up. Pricing is the clincher – Apple seems to be placing a premium here as they are hedging against further currency fluctuations.

Absolutely – I know lots of people holding on to or buying iPhone 5 for that reason

8. Sue says:

It depends on the price tag. Sony makes good mid range phones for many years. I consider switching over from my Android phone if the price was around $400.00 and it like the iphone 5s no plastic like 5c.