iTunes 12.7 for Mac removes iOS app store

Roman Loyola
13 September, 2017

iTunes 12.7 for Mac was released on Tuesday with a major change in the app. Apple has redesigned iTunes so that it focuses on sales of music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks and podcasts. It no longer has an App Store for buying apps for your iPhone or iPad.

This means that in order to buy an iOS app, you must do it on the iOS device itself. You no longer can buy an iOS app within iTunes, and then load the app to your device when you perform a sync.

Apple announced last month that iTunes U content can now be found in the iTunes podcasts section.

If you purchased ringtones through iTunes, Apple says that you can download them through your iPhone using the App Store app, or through Settings > Sounds > Ringtone > Store.

itunes 127 features

How to upgrade to iTunes 12.7

1. On your Mac, launch the App Store app in your Applications folder.
  2. Click on the Update button at the top of the app.
  3. The app will use the internet to look for new updates. If you don’t see the iTunes 12.7 update, try reloading the page by pressing Command-R.
  4. When you’re ready, click the Update button next to the section about the iTunes 12.7 update. If the iTunes app is open, your Mac will tell you that the installation cannot proceed until you close iTunes. Click Continue to have your Mac close iTunes and continue with the upgrade.
  5. The installation will take a few minutes. You should not need to restart your Mac, unless you also decided to click the Update All button, which installs any other OS updates available.
  6. When you launch iTunes 12.7 you’ll see a disclaimer about the changes.itunes 127 disclaimer

11 people were compelled to have their say. We encourage you to do the same..

1. Jamie says:

The removal of the app store my be the last straw for me and make me move to Android.

I find browsing and buying apps painful on the iPhone or iPad so I think my love affair with Apple will now be over.

Bye bye, it was fun while it lasted by after almost 10 years it’s time for me to move to Android and back to Windows and avoid the Apple tax and (what are for me) stupid changes to usability

2. John Paterson says:

I am no not liking this change. I used iTunes to load apps onto the 4 iDevices our household owns, with every update downloading just once into iTunes. Now they’ll download multiple times, for each device. What’s more I used iTunes to organise and rearrange the apps into folders. The interface enabled me to do that reasonably well, although it was even easier on earlier iTunes versions. I guess I’ll guess used to the changes, but that doesn’t mean I have to like them.

3. David Deane says:

What a stupid ass upgrade this is. Not only does it remove the only place where you can centrally control all of your apps for phone & iPad; the changes to the TV Programs page are not user friendly in that the number of unwatched episodes and the screening dates of episodes has been removed.

Very un-Apple like!

4. Milliways says:

What I want is an app which doesn’t try to sell me music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks and podcasts (which I have never used).

I only use iTunes to transfer apps, documents and 3rd party podcasts to the phone.

I will refrain from any updates to iTunes and iOS for as long as possible, or until Apple sees sense.

5. Firitia says:

lookup on the Apple support website: tethered-caching
    It will solve some of John’s problems

6. Rex King says:

I have been an Apple fan for well over 20 years and computing was always lots of fun. Now the latest iTunes update like most things Apple are all about money and not what the end user wants. I tried to go back with time machine but no luck.

I have a much loved MacBook Pro and want to update to Sierra but can’t because of Apple designed redundancy.

Counter-intuitiveness and clumsiness seem to go hand in hand with each update for the past few years. Why?

$1800 for a new iPhone no thanks, hello again Android.

7. Geoffrey Gill says:

Totally agree with John Paterson. Like him I also need to update/download apps for 4 iOS devices. Is Apple going to re-imburse me for the extra data I will use from my isp? and the time wasted doing this 4 times? Back in the 80′s Microsoft became very bossy but have now become much more customer supportive. I’m afraid Apple is now replicating this attitude whilst charging an arm and leg for the experience. Unlike the Apple telling us how excited they are every 5 minutes, how about stopping to think things through? What Apple should do now is to produce a separate App Store app for both the Mac & MS Windows to return to one time download/Sync as before.

8. Geoffrey Gill says:

What a dumb decision! I also have 2 iPhones, 2 iPads and a Nano watch to keep up to date. Now I’m going to rip through my ISP paid for data allowance and spend hours doing the same job 4/5 times. Okay, if Apple wants to remove this function from iTunes, so be it BUT why not offer a stand alone new update/sync program for both the Mac and Windows users that allows just a one time download like before.

9. Hedware says:

Yes another inane bit of thinking by Apple. I can appreciate the reason for making iTunes of Mac more rational in its functionality. But why not introduce an iDevices app store to replace that function removed from iTunes.

Apple gloats about Android fragmentation but here is an example of fragmentation happening in-house at Apple.

BTW Apple Configurator does do some of the functions now removed from iTunes. Surprisingly Apple didn’t really mention this app when it castrated iTunes for Mac users.

10. Graeme says:

Yup, another dumb move from Apple.
    I’ve used apple computers since the late 80′s but recently the downgrades are getting more ridiculous.
    I tunes didn’t need to be gutted, it needed perhaps a rename.
    It was the best i-device manager app there was. Cutting half it’s usefulness is NOT an upgrade.Apple needs to realize not everywhere has America’s connectivity. Typical yank arrogance.

11. Rod Martin. says:

IOS 11 and iTunes 12.7.0.166 – the Good and the very Bad.

Although I appreciate Apple adding new features to existing Programs (Apps) and occasionally completely redesigning an App to modernise it, over the last 17 years in my case, I don’t understand why Apple constantly removes extremely useful features.

Removing any management of IOS Apps in MacOS iTunes has created a nightmare for finding, buying and updating IOS Apps on my iPhone:
    Searching for, and investigating, potential new Apps on my iPhone screen is terrible. I had just bought a new 2017 iMac (27” screen) and suddenly I can’t use it to investigate new Apps; instead I have to do it all from my tiny iPhone screen. Yes, I know I can search Apple web sites for IOS Apps and still view IOS Apps in iTunes (MacOS) but it is hard, very disorganised and with no useful search function. And I suspect Apple will deactivate this method of finding IOS Apps soon!?

No size listed for App Updates anymore. Why on earth would Apple remove this. I need to know if an update is humungous as my monthly data limit is very small. Now I wither waste much internet data or spend ages checking the (very hidden) App update sizes. Apple staff with unlimited internet data downloads probably don’t even think about how much data might be wasted, but in the real world millions of us have limited and expensive data (My plan is US$80 / AUS$120/month for 15GB/month).

Also chewing up lots of my internet data is if I delete an App (to free space etc. etc.) then want to reinstall it on my iPhone I will have to download it all over again instead of just syncing with the “App library” on my iMac.

Inconsistency. It is hard to believe how inconsistent Apple operating systems etc. are. Why does MacOS now have a dedicated App (iTunes) for finding and syncing Music, Films, Movies and Podcasts, but not IOS Apps. Why would Apple remove a useful feature like this after many years, create great problems and inconsistency and try to promote it (the new IOS App Store) as a benefit?

The management of IOS Apps in MacOS iTunes was very convenient and provided version control (an essential feature in any modern OS). I could list my Apps (by size, name etc.), delete them , hide them, move them around, restore an old version if I needed an old feature temporarily, easily find, buy and sync new Apps to my iPhone. Not now.

Apple does so much to drive existing customers to another vendor when trying to attract new customers with “flashing light” features.

I sure hope High Sierra will include a new Program for finding and managing IOS Apps via the iMac. Please! (I don’t mind if it isn’t a part of iTunes – really!).

Cheers,