iTunes 10.5.2 addresses iTunes Match issues

Jonathan Seff, Macworld
16 December, 2011

Apple updated its iTunes software to 10.5.2, with unspecified fixes for problems with iTunes Match.

Apple’s brief description reads “iTunes 10.5.2 includes several improvements for iTunes Match and fixes an audio distortion problem when playing or importing certain CDs.”

iTunes Match is Apple’s US$25-a-year service that stores your iTunes library in the cloud, matching the tracks in your library with those in Apple’s 20-million-song catalogue – meaning you don’t have to upload them yourself – and letting you upload the ones it can’t match (for a total of 25,000 tracks not purchased from the iTunes Store).

You can download iTunes 10.5.2 directly from Apple’s iTunes download page. At the time this story was posted, the software wasn’t showing up in Software Update, and the Apple support page for the update was still showing iTunes 10.5.1.

iTunes 10.5 requires OS X 10.5 or later, and is also available for Windows XP (SP2 or later), Vista, and 7.

Update: iTunes Match has now launched in Australia – in keeping with Apple’s promise that it would be released before the end of 2011 – and will cost users $34.99 per year.

6 people were compelled to have their say. We encourage you to do the same..

1. Gordon Stubbs says:

Just finished the conversion to cloud and was most impressed.
    There were even albums which i had previously purchased included in the download and of the 2575 items only 272 were unable to be matched. Impressive really as i have a many albums which were from fairly obscure labels.
    The number of duplicates picked up was rather surprising.
    One small wish is that the iPod classic had cloud capability.
    Thanks Apple another winner on your hands

2. Scottyq says:

$35.00 annually in the land down under. As I type we’re at US 0.99c.. The extra $10 a year is nothing really but why? I consistantly feel like a fool living in this country and being taken advantage of by our own as well as overseas compannies. i just don’t get it!

3. suzanne says:

10.5.1 is a headache. I tried syncing yesterday with no luck so I followed the error message trail and the suggestion was to download the update. Now I have no iTunes at all because after agreeing to the user agreement, nothing happens. I’ve tried emptying temp files, deleting itunes and reloading several times… same problem.

4. Runey says:

If it over priced, then I call it a bug. If any body want me to pay the US too much then too bad my packet stay close. For them to fix the bug, they’ll have to fix the price. $1 for $1 not $10 for $1 -.

5. Bobby says:

@Runey, its not Apple asking for more money, its the AU record labels hiking their fees for licensing and copyright. Apple asks one set fee worldwide, then if local companies or governments want to add taxes to that then Apple increases the fees accordingly. Why do you think we dont have streaming services like, Hulu, Pandora, Spotify, Rara and then some? Cause our local companies and governing bodies can’t come to an agreement on a suitable rate for copyright fees…..too greedy

6. Allan says:

Just bought my daughter a new IPOD for Xmas, thought that I would sync it with my existing Itunes only to find that it needs 10.5.2 to work on my machine. Just spent about 6 hours trying to load this, but comes up with error after error and incorrect validation certificate. About ready to throw it all out the window and go back to my CD collection.