Following several reports of electric shocks in connection with iPhone use, including, most notably, the death earlier this month of Chinese woman Ma Ailun, who allegedly was electrocuted by answering her iPhone while it was being charged by an unauthorised charger, reports have now come to light regarding a similar case in Sydney.
The Daily Mail online, along with various other outlets, has reported that an unnamed woman in her 20s was taken from Chatswood by ambulance to the Royal North Shore Hospital after allegedly receiving a shock from her iPhone.
“It is not known whether the phone was plugged into a charger at the time, but a spokeswoman said paramedics had responded to a number of shocks from mobile phone chargers this year,” reported the Mail.
“The spokeswoman said mobile phone users should keep an eye on their phone’s connection. ‘If the appliances are dusty, they should be given a vacuum clean,’ she said, suggesting that dust could get into the terminals and cause a short circuit.”
According to media reports, the spokeswoman also claimed that the young Chatswood woman was in a stable condition after her ordeal.
by Macworld Australia staff