iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus also introduce Live Photos, bringing still images to life by capturing a moment in motion. We see it as a cross between Instagram and Vine.
iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus introduce new ways to navigate and experience iPhone by sensing pressure to enable new gestures – Peek and Pop – so you can dip in and out of content without losing your place. Press lightly to Peek at a photo, email, web page or other content, and press a little deeper to Pop into the content itself. With Quick Actions, 3D Touch provides shortcuts to the things you do most, so you can send a message or take a selfie with just a simple press from the Home screen.
The iPhone’s cameras both get a significant upgrade. The rear camera now runs at 12MP and can be used to shoot 4K video.
A9, Apple’s third-generation 64-bit chip powers these innovations with 70 percent faster CPU and 90 percent faster GPU performance than the A8, all with gains in energy efficiency for great battery life. The A9 chip and iOS 9 are architected together for optimal performance where it matters most, in real world usage. M9, Apple’s next-generation motion coprocessor, is embedded into A9, allowing more features to run all the time at lower power, including “Hey Siri,” without the iPhone needing to be plugged in.
There’s faster Wi-Fi and 4G LTE Advanced for the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus with support up to 23 4G LTE bands – the most in any smartphone – for better worldwide roaming.
Pricing and availability
- iPhone 6s will be available in gold, silver, space grey and the new rose gold metallic finishes for a recommended retail price of A$1079 inc. GST for the 16GB model, A$1229 inc. GST for the 64GB model and A$1379 inc. GST for the 128GB model.
- iPhone 6s Plus will be available in gold, silver, space grey and the new rose gold metallic finishes for a recommended retail price of A$1229 inc. GST for the 16GB model, A$1379 inc. GST for the 64GB model and A$1529 inc. GST for the 128GB model.
- The new iPhones will be available from apple.com/au and Apple Retail Stores; through Telstra, Optus, Vodafone and additional carriers; and from selected Apple Authorised Resellers.
- Both models will be available in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore, the UK and US beginning Friday 25 September, with pre-orders beginning Saturday 12 September.
- Apple-designed accessories including leather and silicone cases in a range of colours and Lightning Docks in colour-matched metallic finishes will also be available.