iPhone 5 owners report Wi-Fi issues, faults with Apple’s new phone

25 September, 2012 by Karen Haslam

Following its launch on Friday, the iPhone 5 is now in the hands of millions, and, inevitably, reports are emerging of issues and faults with Apple’s newest handset.

No Wi-Fi?

A 35-page thread in Apple’s forum discusses an issue with WiFi on the iPhone 5. One Apple forum poster claims that an AppleCare representative has told them that Apple is aware of the issue, but has not yet come up with a fix. According to that post: “I asked if it was hardware or software related and she said the WPA2 issue seems to be software based and the non-connecting issue may be hardware based, but that they are still trying to identify the cause.”

Users have determined that the problem arises when connecting to WPA2 encrypted Wi-Fi routers, writes MacRumors. The solution appears to be moving to a less secure WEP encryption.I had already tried resetting it without resolving the problem, but I decided to change the security from WPA/WPA 2 Personal to WPA 2 Personal and it seems to have made an improvement” according to one post in the Apple Support Communities.

Scratched iPhones

On Saturday we reported claims that the black iPhone 5 is easy to scratch. It is claimed that the black slate covering wears off easily, making the model look scratched or scuffed.

Now, reports are claiming that some new iPhones are turning up scratched. Customers took to Twitter to report that some iPhone 5 models were cosmetically damaged straight out of the box. The reports claim scuffs and other defects are apparent on the anodized coatings on the metal band surrounding the phone, reports Electronista.

iFixit, who have already published their tear down of the iPhone 5, has run it’s own set of scratch tests that appear to suggest that the new phone’s metal is more easily damaged by keys and coins. Here is a video of iFixIt’s scratch test.

Yellow iPhone screen

There are also iPhone 5 users reporting a yellow tint on the iPhone 5 screen on the Apple Support communities. However, yellow tinted displays are a recurring phenomenon, notes Redmond Pie. The yellow tint is caused by the glue beneath the display not having fully dried, it isn’t a permanent issue, and the yellow tint will disappear when the glue dries out.

iPhone 5 Build quality

One blogger claims that he was disappointed with his new iPhone 5 when he noticed that the faces of the iPhone didn’t line up. “Upon looking at both faces, it looks like the back of the iPhone is flush with the side chamfers, but the front glass actually juts out slightly, but by a noticeable millimeter or so,” writes Fayez Mohamood.

Is Tim Cook to blame?

This handful of issues, coupled with the fiasco that was Apple’s roll out of its own Maps application to replace Google Maps, has lead some to speculate that Apple’s CEO Tim Cook is a poor substitute to Apple’s late CEO Steve Jobs.

It may be unfair to suggest that Jobs wouldn’t have allowed issues to emerge with the new iPhone and the new version of iOS 6. Jobs did allow the release of substandard MobileMe, so he doesn’t exactly have a flawless record for flawless launches. However, Jobs was famous for driving his team to achieve great things, and it could be the ruthless rule that would have left designers in fear of their jobs that is missing from today’s Apple.

Reuters suggests that Apple is missing “Jobs’ obsessive perfectionism and attention to user experience”.

However, Cook does bring something to Apple that perhaps Jobs didn’t have. According to Reuters, the launch of the iPhone 5 has proved that Cook is a great leader for Apple. The speed of the global launch has astounded analysts and investors, validating Cook’s expertise at managing a supply chain. Analysts have been impressed by Apple’s plans for a fast role out of the new iPhone. As Barclays analyst Ben Reitzes said: “We are positively surprised regarding the pace of the rollout, since we had expected a bigger impact from component constraints.”

Raymond Miles, a professor at University of California, Berkeley, told Reuters: “His [Cook’s] skills fit the time period and the flow of product,” noting that Apple may need “someone with a production vision.”

14 people were compelled to have their say. We encourage you to do the same..

1. CJ says:

People need to stop over analysing things. RE: the suggestion that build quality is questionable due to the display sticking out. Take a good look at the apple.com website, none of the photos of the iPhone show that the front display is meant to sit flush with the body of the phone. Nor did they ever say that the display sits flush. There was and is always going to have some display sticking out.

2. Simon Juffermans says:

well the problem is just not with the new iPhone it has also affected some iPads.. this has happened since upgrading to iOS6

3. Susan Fuller says:

I am also having the same issue with WiFi. I will try a full restore to see if there is a software fix for this issue. Right now, WiFi at my home and at my office goes in and out when my other devices ( original iPhone, iPad, laptops ) all have no problem maintaining the WiFi connection. This is so upsetting with my new iPhone 5. LTE is fast and works well but I don’t want to use all of my data alottment when I don’t have to!
    I will post back if the Restore works to solve the issue.

4. Paul says:

I have noticed that WiFi speeds are no better than my old iPhone 4. it’s a little disappointing but I’m sure Apple will get onto it and fix it soon. Knowing the new iPhone 5 used 802.11n on the 5GHz band unlike the older iPhone that uses 802.11n on the 2.4GHz band only I would have thought I would be getting faster transfer speeds with the iPhone 5.

5. Ashok says:

I have seen the battery is draining very fast noticed very first day of using but waiting no improvement so for.
    I am sure my iPhone 4S battery was lot better than Iphone 5.
    This is really a hardware battery problem or IOS 6 not sure.
    took to apple store the guy said they are expecting a fix in about a month.

6. Rob says:

The front glass “juts out” to prevent your fingers from scraping on metal corners. It’s precise and obviously deliberate.

7. Nick says:

My old 4 was having issues with reception and battery life. I got it when it was first released 2 years ago.
    I got the 5 on the Friday it launched and have noticed great improvement in reception and wifi speeds with no issues connecting to my network at all, it all happens seamlessly when Im near enough to my network.

My only grip is with maps and Find My Friends as they use same mapping data (Im guessing) Im finding it’s not accurate at all. When checking if my partner was on her way home, it showed her in the river, lol.

Im sure with software updates these minor issues will be rectified.

8. Ray Constantine says:

Maps is an absolute disaster. Get the Google map-app (deleted by the IOS6 update) and stick with it. The iPhone 5 issues will be a matter of people expecting too much and having little knowledge of the issues.

9. janekg says:

So the iPhone 5 is not perfect and has a few minor addressable issues. Compared with the quality of the ‘also rans’, ‘copyists’ and miscellaneous Android ‘crud’ that’s out there I know which product I would still buy.

Having said the above I get the distinct feeling that Apple Inc. without the ‘perfectionist’ Steve Jobs is not the same institution. Something meaningful needs to be done. Let’s start by kicking a few ‘arses’ and getting rid of the ‘B’ grade players that appear comfortably entrenched in new found key positions in what has become a ‘behemoth’ of a company. The ball is in your court Apple!

10. Sue says:

The battery life is really bad. I barely get a day out of it and I am not an Internet surfer.

11. akima says:

Whats the point in harping on about speedy and effective management of Apples Iphone5s supply chains when the end product that is being delivered at record pace to the market to the consumer is riddled with faults, flaws, and both hard/software issues. The old saying, “Sacrifices have to be made” comes to mind…..

12. Ahmad K says:

The wifi problem is definitely related to the new iOS 6 because I’m experiencing the same problem with my new iPad. So don’t be surprised when you get the first update notification to fix it. Regardless of all the issues mentioned in this article, iPhone 5 is the only product I will buy. Actually, I ordered mine yesterday.
    I do agree however that the loss of Steve Jobs affected apple. Tim Cook seems nicer from what I have read about him but we, as customers, don’t need nice, we need a perfectionist.

13. Mark Pendrey says:

I’m super disappointed by the battery, that and not being able to but lightning adapters or charge cords till October. I hate having to take my bloody charge CPR wherever I go (work/home) Why wouldn’t they release those at the sane time.

14. Fabian says:

Ok all
    There is a problem with the new iphone 5 plus also the ios update.
    Iphone 5 issues noted are:
    * wifi reciever is weaker than my old iphone 4 – proven by just walking around the house. Also when you lose just one bar of strength, speedtest dramatically drops to around 5 Mb/s compared to around 16. (Bigpond thompson router) Placing any fingers or hand around top antennae produces drops. ANTENNAE GATE AGAIN BUT ON WIFI NOW.
    * download of videos slower on wifi than on 3g even though 3g speeds are slower than the usual modems 16Mbits/ s
    * have seen the droput issue when im normally in bedroom where wifi strength was good on iphone 4 and swaps to 3 g and fails to go back to wifi.
    * battery life, crap … Not even 8 hours with normal use. Got 24 hrs on 4.
    PHONE IS NEW FACTORY LOADED WITH IOS 6 so i reckon hardware issue. SURELY THESE APPLE NERDS TESTED ALL THIS?.

IOS 6 UPDATE

* my partners iphone 4 now uses battery like you cant believe and wifi droputs all day having to tap on the network each time.

SO IPHONE 5 “THE BEST PHONE EVER MADE” yeh right tim….the crappiest apple made and sorry steve youve got a bunch of clowns running the show now. Slow down apple and start looking at quality…not quantity…..sell your shares NOW.