iPhone 5: Metal back and sub-4in display?

1 September, 2011 by Ian Paul, Macworld

The still-unacknowledged iPhone 5, expected to make its debut in October, is now expected to sport a metal back instead of glass, and its screen size will not exceed 4in, contrary to earlier reports.

Instead, the next iPhone will have a display size between 3.5 and 3.7in – the current model has a 3.5in display – and may also have a thinner bezel along the sides of the device to make the screen look larger than it actually is. Other than those changes, the next iPhone is not expected to be remarkably different from the iPhone 4, sources inside Apple’s supply chain have reportedly told Taiwan-based DigiTimes.

Shrinking Screens

Suggestions the next iPhone would have a 4in screen have been circulating for some time. In February, DigiTimes claimed the iPhone 5 would have a 4in screen, and a similar report followed a month later in the China Times. DigiTimes is apparently backing off its original report, and now says the next iPhone’s display will not be much larger than the usual 3.5in.

Some Apple watchers have expected the iPhone to enlarge its screen size to offset competition from rival Android handsets that usually have displays measuring 4in or more. Some of the most popular and critically acclaimed Android handsets have 4in-plus screens including the HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Droid X and the forthcoming Galaxy S II.

Several Windows Phone 7 devices also have larger displays than the iPhone, including the HTC HD7 and the Samsung Focus. Smartphones debuting at the IFA Berlin trade show that begins this Friday are also expected to trend toward displays measuring 4in or more.

Smartphones sporting screens larger than the iPhone have been available for some time, and Apple has yet to follow suit and enlarge its marquee device. But Apple may yet flirt with enlarging its screen size. Various reports suggest the next iPhone will have an edge-to-edge screen, upping the display measurements by a few tenths of an inch. Those earlier claims fall in line with DigiTimes’ current stance that the iPhone will have a smaller bezel that could make its display size as large as 3.7in.

7 people were compelled to have their say. We encourage you to do the same..

1. Drew says:

Just dont leave it lying around in a bar this time Apple. Oh wait you already did that AGAIN! http://www.goo.gl/svbFD

2. JC says:

The iPhone :( .. As much as I have enjoyed apple products, I’m starting to tire of the iPhone bullshit!.. I have owned the 3G and now the 3GS, I couldn’t open my wallet for the iPhone 4. Simply it did not excite me, then the antenna fault just turned me right off. So I stuck with old faithful 3GS. But now she’s starting to crack on the back near the headphone port. I’ve been trying to follow the iPhone 5, but for christ sake just show us the damn thing or I will change products. Including the iPad and MacBook. Get it apple? Your time in the sun is nearly over.

3. Robbie says:

Are you for real JC? Apple’s time in the sun is nearly over? Ha, ha ha, good one. Go buy an Android, troll!

4. JC says:

Yeah Robbie yep I’m for real. I’m a big fan of apple products I’ve had the iMac, MacBook, iPhone 3G/3GS, iPad 1&2… The direction apple are going is kind of why I dumped all Microsoft products. So if I’m a big fan and thinking of changing, how many others are doing the same??Read about the lion os.. Not to many people impressed with it. As for the iPhone it’s going to have to be way better than the iPhone 4. I could easily dump all and just keep the iPad or change to another tablet. As apple would say simple!

5. JC says:

Ok I just gave myself a reality check, I went into the shops and played with the droid tablets…grrrrr gees really they aren’t so good. Hurry apple :D

6. HS says:

Onya JC, I feel your frustrations mate but never thought about jumping ship. I’m still on iPhone 3 and anxiously waiting for the iPhone 5. Not to mention the new iPod Touch. I already have the new MB Pro, iPad2 and apple TV and all ther rest of the apple products, just waiting for the new 5 & touch. Hang in there mate. droid tabs are too far behind in the race.

7. ddt says:

Whoa! Careful JC. You mentally stable?