EA pulls The Simpsons: Tapped Out

7 March, 2012 by Joel Mathis, Macworld

D’oh!

If you didn’t already get your copy of The Simpsons: Tapped Out for iOS, bad news: Electronic Arts has pulled the game from the App Store – at least for the time being.

EA has long reigned supreme over the digital gaming universe – a distinction that survived the rise of the iPhone and iPad platforms and a proliferation of successful independent game developers, thanks to big-name titles like Madden NFL and The Sims. But the company must now recover from a pair of iOS-related missteps.

The latest came Monday, when EA pulled its new game The Simpsons: Tapped Out from the App Store after an onslaught of complaints by users that they were unable to connect to the server for multiplayer gaming.

Users who already bought the game can continue to play and should see an improved experience without other new players to overload EA’s servers. “As soon as we have resolved these issues to handle greater player capacity, we will return The Simpsons: Tapped Out to the App Store so that even more people can enjoy this game,” the company said in a statement on its website.

The time-out is magnified, since it comes just days after EA said it was permanently suspending development on Battlefield 3: Aftershock, which it had pulled from the App Store in February because of wide-ranging gameplay problems that included, yes, connection problems.

The company may need to brace itself: Apple, after all, is expected to unveil the latest iPad model on Wednesday. If history is any guide, that means soon millions of new iOS device owners will be searching the App Store for games – and EA, with five of the Top 25 paid gaming apps, should be poised to reap the benefits. But only if it stops pulling its games from the App Store because of performance issues.

EA offered no timeline for returning The Simpsons: Tapped Out to the App Store.

8 people were compelled to have their say. We encourage you to do the same..

1. Bitten By Design says:

I spotted it only a few days ago and downloaded a copy to my iPhone. Not a ground breaking game, but entertaining for a fan of the Simpsons. The server connection issues are pretty annoying, but really, they should have expected that something branded as Simpson’s is going to be popular with the fans.

But considering their other games also suffering from connection issues it may be time for them to upgrade their servers… You’d think anyway.

Just glad I was able to get a copy of it whilst it was still up on the store.

2. Glenn says:

Its a great game… when I can get it to run! As well as the connectivity issue, I seem to also have approximately 5 different ‘Tapped Out’ games running on my iPhone at once! I log into the game, and hope by chance it connects to the right game that I’m furtherest along on, it normally takes 5 or 6 login attempts to get to the right game!

3. Simpson_Fan says:

No wonder, the connection was better yesterday evening. Lucky I downloaded the copy when it came out. Pretty fun game for a fan. However the premium stuff really cost a lot of donuts. Only Simpsons’ extreme fanatics & the riches would get all the virtual Premium Springfield buildings on their iOS device. Wish they enable us to buy premium stuff with virtual money but cost more. At least for us who are not spending will take quite sometime to buy premium items. Then we’ll be playing for a very long time.

4. GI-Johnny says:

Glad I did download a copy and it did work a lil better yday and today. But now I need to add at least 1 more friend as a mission, my screen name is exactly as shown here GI-Johnny thx

5. James says:

I deleted it from my phone this a.m. Even if it were fully functional, it’s just another farmville.

6. Ryan says:

This is a really good game does not crash as much now, all the buildings cost way too many donuts should be reduced by a lot so we can add to our towns and enjoy. You can add me and see my huge town at haze123506. Thanks

7. George Martin says:

Please put it back up and make it so we can socialize with our friends on facebook and all the other social websites and I agree the doughnuts are to expensive ^ to bye the house u need to spend actual money and it’s hard for a 15 teen year old teenager like me because my mum is against using credit cards and PayPal :(

8. dw itok says:

If u dont like the price donuts just jail break your apple product I work for apple and I did