Apple will ditch 17in MacBook Pro, to make way for new ‘hybrid’ model

Macworld Australia Staff
24 April, 2012

Apple could be scrapping its 17in MacBook Pro model, according to a new report published by research analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Kuo, who has offered accurate information on Apple’s Mac roadmap in the past, believes the company wants to drop the 17in MacBook Pro due to weak sales, reports MacRumors.

“While adding new products, Apple is likely to stop making the 17in MacBook Pro this year due to falling shipments, in order to maintain a lean product line strategy,” Kuo explains.

The analysis is timely, given that Apple is expected to launch a new line of notebooks this year. Various reports suggest that a MacBook hybrid combining elements of the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air will launch in the coming months.

While it’s still unclear what the new notebook will look like, Kuo says Apple is working on a streamlined model that utilises the portability of the MacBook Air and processing power of the MacBook Pro.

“We predict Apple will roll out a fully new MacBook model in early 3Q12, boasting strong performance and easy carryability by combining the advantages of MacBook Air and MacBook Pro,” Kuo says.

Rumours point to June as a possible launch date for the new hybrid MacBook.

What do you think – is ditching the 17in MacBook Pro a smart decision by Apple? And what features would you like to see in the new MacBook model? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

10 people were compelled to have their say. We encourage you to do the same..

1. Pedro says:

I am shocked. I was planning on buying the next model 17″ MacBook Pro. I always buy the largest MBPs.

2. Lloyd says:

Not at all surprised. It’s overpriced and any professional requiring the extra screen real estate will hook it up to an external monitor for serious work. Hopefully, a 15″ model with similar grunt will be produced.

3. Glenn Cardwell says:

My last three MacBook Pros have been 17″. A little cumbersome when travelling, yet perfect for the office and presenting. Plenty of ports. Will be missed. Glad to hear of this news early, as was planning on 17″ #4 mid-year. I’m a human. I can adapt.

4. Christopher Thorpe says:

It’s an interesting proposition. Having owned a unibody 17″ MacBook Pro for the last 3 and a bit years, the ease of being able to design while away from a desk is second to none. That extra bit of screen real estate means that you can work at 1:1 and see most of anything up to A3. For print designers, this is great. The pixel density on the screen is also amongst the highest in the Mac range.

I love this computer.

Having said that, it is as heavy as they come. Three and a bit kilograms (almost four, really) starts to weigh on you if you have to lug it around. Even though it’s drastically lighter than a lot of Windows PCs with the same screen size, it’s still a behemoth compared to a MacBook Air.

People who borrow this computer from me remark just how large the screen is. It’s true—this thing is huge. If you want/need a large screen, and have to travel for work, there really is nothing better.

Given the large expanse of brushed aluminium required, I’m not sure there’s much weight to be gained in switching to an SSD and slimline form factor. So much of the mass is tied up in providing a massive battery to drive the screen.

As with all such speculation, it remains clouded, and similar discussions surrounding the Mac Pro have swirled for years. However, I just advised a friend to buy a 13″ Air and a Thunderbolt Monitor—for about the same price as a 17″ MacBook Pro.

Apple have shown that they will take the more profitable route, and if the 17″ MacBook Pro is unprofitable, it will be ditched in favour of the above mentioned set-up.

5. Jean-Luc says:

I’ve been buying top of the range 17″Mac PowerBook, and Macbook since they started making them, I ‘ll need a new one soon, and I have been putting it off waiting for better processing power and higher definition screen.

Been Pro machine with price to match, obviously limit the sales volume, it does not mean, people are not willing to buy if it is worth it.

The best 17″ machine ever of all was the 1.67 Ghz PPC (the last 17″ G4 before the Intel) it was a fantastic machine and I still have 2 running, the MacBook Range intel were not has good overall. Hopefully Apple will give us an Airbook Style 15″ with 17″ definition !.. SSD + Pro Specs.

6. Vlad Bunyevich says:

Only reasons for buying a 17″ were the screen res. and the express card slot. An express card slot and a HD screen in a 15″ please!

7. Graeme says:

What’s needed is a MBPRo with pressure sensitive tablet screen. I’d buy one.

8. Michael Griffith says:

As a teacher I always use a 17″ for the screen real estate- together with a 24″ or larger monitor. I have thought of getting a smaller computer with a large screen, but that would not match the benefits of having two large screens for marking assignments etc + the advantage of having enough space for 2 open pages when I am not plugged into my screen. I will be holding onto my 17″ macbook pro for a few years and might even upgrade to the newest version before they disappear off the shelves.

9. Richard says:

50,000 units at $3000 each is still 150 Million, there were days when this would have saved apple (instead of Bill Gates)! Please don’t scrap the 17″ Mac Book Pro, I have been saving for a while and am eagerly awaiting the new model’s release.
    Note my eyes are getting older and its getting harder to read the small screens even if they are high resolution!

10. Rod Neucom says:

My first ever mac was a 17″pro… (I moved from the dark side three years ago) I was knocked out by the resolution, power and professional usability however … familiarity breeds contempt and 12 months ago I got an iMac 27… now thats real estate… Even my PC addicted son is lusting after my iMac… The pro is heavy and I lust after that air BUT SSD?!? hands up hose who use their mac for work who completely trust SSD … I want to I would love to … some one convince me… and one port?!?… give me the best of both worlds air/MBP and I am on for an up grade… and my son can have the old pro…