Apple to launch 7in iPad by Christmas?

Dan Nystedt
18 August, 2010

Apple is reportedly readying another tablet similar to the iPad but with a 7in touchscreen for launch as early as the end of this year, according to a major Taiwanese newspaper.

This is the second report of an iPad 2 sighting in Taiwan, and it comes from the island’s Chinese-language Economic Daily News financial newspaper, which was among the first to correctly report that Apple was making a tablet when other news sources said it would be a netbook.

Taiwan’s Digitimes newspaper last week reported that Taiwanese companies were starting to assemble a 7in iPad for Apple.

The Economic Daily reports that Taiwanese companies have won a number of component contracts for the iPad 2. Chimei Innolux will supply 7in LCD screens, which use the same IPS (in-plane switching) technology found in the original iPad, which improves viewing angles and color on LCD screens. Touchscreen technology for the screens will come from Cando Corporation, the report says.

Apple has also tapped Compal Electronics, one of the world’s largest contract laptop computer makers, to assemble the new iPad, the report says.

The companies named in the Economic Daily report declined to comment. Contract manufacturers and component makers normally do not reveal what products they’re working on because failure to maintain secrecy can cause them to miss out on future contracts.

6 people were compelled to have their say. We encourage you to do the same..

1. Steve says:

This makes a world of sense. I’ve already got a MacBook so I don’t need a 10 inch iPad and I’ve got an iPhone. What I really need is something in between. A 7inch iPad would be brilliant for around the house and travelling, I’ll be getting one for sure, whereas I wouldn’t have bothered with the 10inch version.

2. chase says:

I thought my iPhone was supposed to be my smaller iPad a 7inch iPad is unneccesary, I know I won’t be buying one. However if they can get a 10inch iPad to cost $630 imagine how cheap the 7inch version will be it will be able to get the iPad into many peoples hands if they cant afford the $630 I imagine we’ll be looking at a $500 base price in Australia for the 7inch version.

3. media-sorcerer says:

i think its a great idea,its hard to find the right blend between portability and functionality,ive heard a lot of netbooks just dont cut the mustard for any kind of computing performance,and who wants to lug around a bulky item either?
    at least with apple gear,its solid in performance ,hope they add a few more ports on the next iteration of the ipad,its a good device but it lacks in some ways,

4. Jacqui says:

7in sound fantastic, I might get one depending of the price, hopefully it will not be too expensive

5. Paul Drew says:

Too small. My eyes aren’t so good so a smaller iPad would prove harder to read. My current 10″ one is perfect for my needs.

6. Anthony says:

Hmm… would have to hold it and see how it feels. Bought a 10″ iPad but sold it due to non use. We need more apps and flash support, the iPad is still too crippled for everyday usage.