Apple retires its Thunderbolt Display without warning or a successor

John Ribeiro
27 June, 2016
View more articles fromthe author
AAA
News

Apple is discontinuing its Thunderbolt Display, the high-resolution external display that users of the MacBook and other Macs could use to get a better picture and work with more apps.

The company said Thursday that the 27in widescreen display with LED backlight technology will be available on Apple’s online store, Apple retail stores and authorised resellers while supplies last. A successor wasn’t announced.

The Thunderbolt Display currently retails on the Apple online store at $1599. It has a 2560 by 1440 pixels resolution.

It isn’t clear whether Apple plans to follow with newer versions that use 5K resolution displays at 5120 by 2880 pixels, which is the display technology Apple uses on its high-end iMac. There was speculation earlier that a new version would be announced at the company’s Worldwide Developers Conference this month.

An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment on whether Apple planned to offer a refresh to the display.

Apple said in an emailed statement that “there are a number of great third-party options available for Mac users”.

Leave a Comment

Please keep your comments friendly on the topic.

Contact us