Apple has sent a message of condolence to the family of a 23-year-old former flight attendant who was killed by an electric shock on Thursday 11 July. Ma Ailun, a former employee of China Southern Airlines, reportedly died when she made a phone call while her iPhone 5 was recharging.
Police in the Hui Autonomous Prefecture of Changji in the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, where the young woman lived, have not confirmed that a mobile phone was involved as the case is under investigation.
“We feel deeply saddened about the accident and send sincere condolences to her family. We will thoroughly investigate the accident and collaborate with the police investigation,” Apple China said in a statement.
The ninemsn.com website claims that Ma Ailun’s family are claiming compensation from the Cupertino company, quoting Ma’s older sister, who posted on the (Chinese equivalent of Twitter) Weibo social network , “I hope that Apple gives us an explanation.”
She added that her sister had bought the iPhone in December in an official Apple store and was using the correct original charger to charge the phone. According to the Sina English website, she also tweeted, “I want to warn everyone else not to make phone calls when your mobile phone is recharging.”
The website also noted that experts say mobile phones have a low output of just three to five volts, but a problem such as a broken wire could lead to a shock of 220 volts being experienced. It went on to mention a 2010 case, in which a man in north-east China was killed by electric shock in similar circumstances, but was recharging his phone with an unauthorised charger.
by Macworld Australia staff