Apple has quietly updated the Australian prices of every Mac in its lineup over the last week or so – most likely due to the current exchange rates, though Apple has not discussed the changes. We reported the Mac Pro price changes on Saturday, which we noticed with the introduction of the Mac Pro Server (and discontinuation of the Xserve), but a few Twitterers and forum commenters have brought to our attention a wider price drop across the entire Mac lineup.
Normally computer price drops wouldn’t be particularly newsworthy, however, Apple almost never changes Mac pricing without refreshing the hardware, so felt it was worth drawing your attention to the changes.
So that you don’t drive yourself mad trying to figure out just how much the prices have dropped (Apple cleans up most evidence of the old prices, making it difficult to compare), we’ve compiled a handy guide to the current and previous wads-of-cash you need to hand over for a shiny new Mac. In the interests of completeness, we’ve included the new MacBook Airs and Mac Pro Server, though their prices remain as announced. If you’re in the market for a new machine, make sure you also check out our complete benchmark results for every Mac currently available.
- 13in MacBook 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo – $1199 (launched at $1249)
- 13in MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo – $1449 (previously $1499)
- 13in MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo – $1799 (previously $1899)
- 15in MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i5 – $2099 (previously $2199)
- 15in MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Core i5 – $2399 (previously $2499)
- 15in MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Core i7 – $2699 (previously $2798)
- 17in MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Core i5 – $2798 (previously $2899)
- 11in MacBook Air 64GB 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo – $1199 (new)
- 11in MacBook Air 128GB 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo – $1449 (new)
- 13in MacBook Air 128GB 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo – $1599 (new)
- 13in MacBook Air 256GB 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo – $1949 (new)
- Mac mini 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo – $899 (previously $999)
- Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo – $1299 (previously $1399)
- 21.5in iMac 3.06GHz Core i3 – $1449 (previously $1599)
- 21.5in iMac 3.2GHz Core i3 – $1799 (previously $1999)
- 27in iMac 3.2GHz Core i3 – $2049 (previously $2199)
- 27in iMac 2.8GHz Core i5 – $2399 (previously $2599)
- Mac Pro Quad-Core – $3199 (previously $3499)
- Mac Pro 8-Core – $4499 (previously $4899)
- Mac Pro 12-Core – $6599 (previously $6999)
- Mac Pro Server – $3799 (new)