With iOS 6, Apple redesigned its App Store for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, removing the ability to buy an app as a gift for another iOS users. But now, it’s back! And just in time for Christmas too. So here’s how you can send a friend an app as a present, and schedule it to arrive on the same day as Santa.
1. Find an app in the iOS App Store that you would like to send to a friend. You can only gift paid apps, and the friend doesn’t need to be running iOS 6 on their device, though you may want to check the requirements of the app before you send it. When you’ve found one, tap on it and then tap the share icon in the top right corner (see the circled icon).
2. Once you’ve tapped share, you’ll be greeted by a menu from which you can email a link to the app, message a link to the app, tweet a link to the app, post a link to the app on Facebook, copy the link and finally, gift the app.
3. Tap ‘Gift’ and you’ll see the ‘Send Gift Form’ which shows the app you’ve chosen and its price, and then lets you choose you who’d like to send it to. You’ll need to type in your friend’s email address in the ‘To’ section. You can send the gift to more than one friend by separating the email addresses with a comma.
4. You can then choose to type a message that will send to your friend along with the app. Don’t forget though, if you are sending to multiple recipients they will all see the same message. If you want to personalise the message for each friend, you will need to gift the apps separately.
5. Once you’ve completed the first four steps, you can now choose which day you would like your friend to receive the app on. This is a new feature in iOS 6. You can opt for the app to be sent ‘Today’, but it is worth noting that the process could take a couple of hours, and is not instantaneous. Alternatively, you can choose a particular date for the app to be sent, such as Christmas or a birthday. Just tap on ‘Other Date’ and scroll through to find your preferred date in the pop-out window. When you’re done, tap ‘Next’.
6. Now, you can choose from a number of themes, which your recipient will see when they get their gift email from Apple. Just swipe through the different designs until you find the one you like best, and then tap next.
7. You will now get a confirmation to let you know that you have successfully send your gift. Tap done to return to the App Store.
8. If you want to check your Gift History you can scroll to the bottom of the App Store Featured screen on your iOS device. You can see your Apple ID, Redeem and Send Gift here. Tap your Apple ID and then tap ‘View Apple ID’. You may have to enter your password in order to access your details. Now, you should be able to see your account details. Tap ‘Gift History, And you’ll be greeted by a list of your scheduled gifts, including who you’re sending it to, what app it is and what date it is due to arrive in their inbox.
9. If you then tap on a gift, you will see further details. You can change the email address here if you think you have made a mistake. If you wish to cancel a scheduled gift, you can do so up to 24 hours before it is sent by contacting Apple Support.
10. Of course, if you would prefer to send an iTunes Gift Card to a friend, you can do so by scrolling down to the bottom of the iTunes App Store Featured page again, and then tapping ‘Send Gift’. This process works in much the same way as the app gifting process does, but this time you can choose the value of the gift card too.
So, now you know how to send an app as a gift to a friend this Christmas.