Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: Australian Macworld And Touch - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Australian Macworld And Touch V's the US Macworld.

#1 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests: Apple Inc.
    Sony
    Nintendo
    Pixar
    Star Wars
    Superman
    Reading
    Food - Cooking
    Photography
    Design
    Great Coffee

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

I have recently been wondering if touch magazine was still around. I was almost getting ready to ask for my money back and the latest digital edition came out yesterday. Not sure I'll be in a hurry to resubscibe.

Australian Macworld is great magazine but the other day I was browsing the newsstand app and noticed the US edition of Macworld was now available. So I downloaded the trial to have a look. And I couldn't believe my eyes. Not only was this not just PDF but its only $1.99 an issue!

So why is the Aussie mag so much more when in contains some of the us content anyway?
jz
"It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" - Steve Jobs

#2 User is offline   Dave Bullard 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

1. touch is not only still around, but going bi-monthly from this issue. Not all mags are for everyone if you don't like it, don't buy it.

2. Bigger publishers are always the first to adapt new tech/platforms. We just don't have the staffing levels and spare change to do it yet. It's on the roadmap.

3. We don't have the economies of scale to discount to that level.

4. SOME of the US content is right. We're not a clone, and contain more local content than overseas. And the overseas content that we do use is localised with regards to availability, model numbers, pricing, etc.

#3 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

Ahh good to see a short break has bought you back, with plenty of ammo and good cheer :P

It's that or you stole my happy pills :D I await JZs reply with baited breath.
Come on 20K

Ken

#4 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
    Sony
    Nintendo
    Pixar
    Star Wars
    Superman
    Reading
    Food - Cooking
    Photography
    Design
    Great Coffee

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

I never said I didn't like it. It felt like it had been long overdue for a the latest issue.
And the pricing of the Aussie vs the US pricing is an ongoing problem in all products not just Macworld which is why people end up buying from overseas. I realise it's out of your control but it's hard to justify the price difference.
I'm not starting a war Dave but it's much easier to jusify $1.99 a month when your on I tight budget then it is $5 or so it cost for the other.
At the moment I'm subscribed to both touch and Amw.
All I'm saying is the pricing in Australia is forcing me to buy more and more from overseas. I buy all my books, blu ray DVDs, and video games from online stores that are overseas. I save 50% - 75% on these items.
jz

#5 User is offline   Dave Bullard 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

It's actually easy to justify the price difference ... if we (all Aussie publications) discount to the same extent as the US we go out of business. It's that simple. We're looking at bringing prices down, but if it happens it won't be anywhere near what you're asking.

Australian journalism and publishing operates on a shoestring. We don't have flash offices; we don't drive flash cars; we don't earn anywhere near what we should. But we produce as much local content as we can.

It's like everything else, if you want local content you have to pay local prices. The more people buy offshore the less local produce you get and the deeper into shit the Australian economy will slide.

I'd love to employ another writer or buy more local content and pay our contributors a better word rate, but to do that we'd have to put our prices up, which brings us back to the beginning.

I think Catch-22 pretty much sums it up.

#6 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
    Sony
    Nintendo
    Pixar
    Star Wars
    Superman
    Reading
    Food - Cooking
    Photography
    Design
    Great Coffee

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

I understand how it all works but consumers don't see that they just see the cheaper price.
When it comes to the printed edition I can understand the higher price but I don't fully get why the digital edition can't be cheaper.
Aussies pay more for houses, electricity, food, everything.
But when there huge savings being made from overseas it's hard to stay loyal. For example a new video game comes out here $80 - $100. I can order and get delivers to my doorstep for $60 - $70. With a bit of patience, if you wait you can get the game for under $50. That's not just a little cheaper that's a lot cheaper.
But back to the original topic I don't plan on dropping AMW anytime soon. I just noticed the huge price difference and it made me wonder.

jz

#7 User is offline   Liana Pappas 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

touch: Remember this is a separate publication, touch was quarterly and the 4th issue was due to come out end of March, however we halted printing last minute because Apple announced the new third-generation iPad, so we decided to update and because of this issue 4 was out later. As Dave said, we're delighted to announce as of the 4th issue touch will now be out every second month!

Macworld: It's a worldwide brand and we all have to adhere to certain parameters and we work very closely with the other Macworld's to offer the Australian market the best of the available content plus original Australian stories. Currently you can only read Macworld AU digital through Zinio, and Zinio works similar to normal newsstands (print), there are fees and it's not as simple as just uploading the files to them. We've tried to price it so it's a win win for everyone. We also can't cannibalise our print version. Australian consumers have not adapted to digital publications as fast as they have in other countries, so for the moment this is the current situation however we have looked into Apple newsstand and will be reviewing our current pricing structure in the new FY, as we always have.

If anyone would like to chat about this please PM us directly, or call Niche and be put through to us.

Thanks Liana
Liana Pappas

Publisher

#8 User is offline   arcanedevice 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

View PostLiana Pappas, on 02 May 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

Australian consumers have not adapted to digital publications as fast as they have in other countries

Hi Lianna

Not wanting to enflame the discussion, but I would have to argue that the reason for this is probably the exact reason that JZ has raised. Aussies are quickly becoming aware of the 'Australia Tax' and starting to question why we pay so much more than other countries. Most people will always go for the cheaper option, and don't take into account the points that Dave raised about why the cost might be higher. Unfortunately I don't see the current senate inquiry making a scrap of difference though.

To me, I will always look for the cheaper option, but it also has to come with great customer service - and I'm happy with what I get from AMW (even though I'm not a subscriber).

#9 User is offline   Dave Bullard 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

The main difference here is that the Senate enquiry is looking at charging more for the same product imported to Australia. We're not talking about buying Macworld US here, but an Australian publication with some of the US/UK/other content.

Cheers
Dave

#10 User is offline   arcanedevice 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostDave Bullard, on 02 May 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

We're not talking about buying Macworld US here, but an Australian publication with some of the US/UK/other content.

Hi Dave

I actually believe AMW provides great value for money, but my point was more that the general public don't see the factors (licensing, additional formatting etc) you mention as an influence and only compare prices.

The reference to the Senate inquiry was again more that most people think it will make a difference to everything purchased online, when really all it will achieve is wasting more taxpayer funds...

#11 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Hey Jamie...you disappear for over 2 weeks and then come back causing an uproar here....:-)

I feel sorry for retailers and business that supply physical goods in Australia. Yes we are ripped off and yes it's annoying and that's why I buy most things online....but if you think about it, Australia doesn't have the population for the demand of products and goods like the USA does, so retailers etc have to charge more in order to survive and make money. If they charged less, they wouldn't survive....so it really is a catch 22.

I still think we are ripped off and prices should be may lower, but it's not feasible I guess.

In regards to magazine publishing, well MacWorld USA can make it cheaper because the population is bigger, more people buy the Mag and they make their money through the increased demand and population size.

Here in Australia that's not possible. If AUS Macworld lowered their prices both for print and digital, there would be no local AUS Macworld magazine as they wouldn't make any money or profit from the sales as not as many people buy the magazine as they do in the USA.

Am I right in saying that Dave?

But anyway, I am happy to pay what I pay for Australian Macworld as I like the local perspective and I think the guys at Niche do an excellent job. It's the way magazine publishing is in Australia and hence why they have to charge more than other countries with a greater population.

Now if we are talking about electronic eBooks not local magazine publishing, then that's a different story. We should be charged the same as what the USA gets charged. Otherwise we are getting ripped off.
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#12 User is offline   Dave Bullard 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

Dead right, Brian.

Cheers
Dave

#13 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

He morphed into me Brian :D
Come on 20K

Ken

#14 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers ...but am no expert .

IMAc Intel 2.9GhZ Icore i5; Ipod Classic 120GB now reconverted to Iphone5. Ipad air. Love cooking and gardening and travelling and animated discussions.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

I think :mosking: I saw this type of discussion going on this forum just a couple of days ago, when Brian asked to get back on topic : discussing Mac. here we are back to MacWorld .

It is really disconcerting that wherever your turn people feel cheated and fleeced. People come from all sorts of positions and angles to argue why we should not pay more. In spite of all the pro and cons of these discussions about pricing the end result is that WE are paying MORE and that is a FACT no? Therefore it is only natural that people get annoyed and irritable.

It is bound to change and as the word spread around (and it has already) measures /strategies will be taken either to defend our retailers/publishers or they are going to revise their strategies to bring prices to an acceptable level.

It it fastidious to hear the same arguments day in day out! Some genius has to come out of the bottle to devise a plan to implement new ideas.
If you don't ask, there will be no answer!
Curiosity has immense benefits for all!

#15 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers ...but am no expert .

IMAc Intel 2.9GhZ Icore i5; Ipod Classic 120GB now reconverted to Iphone5. Ipad air. Love cooking and gardening and travelling and animated discussions.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

Ken you never cease to make me chuckle! Your metaphors are hilarious and remarkable! :yahoo:

View PostKen Gracey, on 03 May 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

He morphed into me Brian :D

If you don't ask, there will be no answer!
Curiosity has immense benefits for all!

#16 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

I try my hardest to entertain Pegi'
Come on 20K

Ken

#17 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
    Sony
    Nintendo
    Pixar
    Star Wars
    Superman
    Reading
    Food - Cooking
    Photography
    Design
    Great Coffee

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

Well Brian. TL has proved time and time again. These forums get more hits when there's a fight going on.
And as I said. I get why we pay more but that doesn't mean people will when the can save money.
I stand by everything I said. And I subscribe Australian Macworld.
jz

#18 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

JZ, and I thought you were Greek, not scottish :P oops now I have upset the Scott's out there.
Come on 20K

Ken

#19 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
    Sony
    Nintendo
    Pixar
    Star Wars
    Superman
    Reading
    Food - Cooking
    Photography
    Design
    Great Coffee

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Lol TL. What will happen to these forums if we join forces?
jz

#20 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

It will never happen JZ it will never happen we are :italiamac_starwars:
Come on 20K

Ken

Share this topic: