Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: Good Arguments For Macs And Iphones Please! - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good Arguments For Macs And Iphones Please! I need ARGUMENTS!

#1 User is offline   xenicraft 

• Group: Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

Hello Everyone :)

I have a lot of friends that are very windows phone, android and windows OS oriented people, and I was recently having a friendly argument with them about why iOS, Mac are better than windows phone, android and windows OS. I found out that I didnt really have any good arguments. A few but not enough. One of them was boasting that he had Pokemon red on his windows phone and how well skydrive worked. You can't get pokemon on iPhone unless you jailbreak right? Also another friend keeps saying that apple is too controlling and restrictive. He's the android and google person. What can I say back? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
xenicraft

#2 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

Just wait until your Android-owning friend is complaining that his phone isn't having its OS updated and is incompatible with newer software. Pull out your iPhone and update iOS over the air.
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#3 User is offline   Islandhead 

• Man with the big zucchini
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:IT, Mountain Biking, Gardening, Reading

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Why do you need an argument that your choice is better?

What happened to the old adage that it would be a boring world if we were all the same?
~ Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. ~ Winston Churchill

#4 User is offline   xenicraft 

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostDylstra, on 21 April 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

Just wait until your Android-owning friend is complaining that his phone isn't having its OS updated and is incompatible with newer software. Pull out your iPhone and update iOS over the air.

Yea lol. :)
Thanks

#5 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Android/iOS - fragmentation, security, quality of apps, availability of updates, consistent UI all favour iOS. Openness is a mixed bag - customise my phone how I want and download any app breaks security, quality and consistency. It depends what's important to you.

WP/iOS - I'm not so sure. I'd say availability of apps (but that could change). Windows are paying developers to write apps for WP.

Windows/Mac - we'll have to see how W8 pans out. I think the two are a lot closer than when I switched from Vista, which was a dog. But I haven't used W7 nor tested W8 so can't really comment. Obviously app selection favours Windows. It may be 6 of one/half a dozen of the other, but integration of iOS and OS X is getting better all the time.

Generally I think the Apple ecosystem is better.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#6 User is offline   xenicraft 

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostSome Random Bloke, on 21 April 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

Android/iOS - fragmentation, security, quality of apps, availability of updates, consistent UI all favour iOS. Openness is a mixed bag - customise my phone how I want and download any app breaks security, quality and consistency. It depends what's important to you.

WP/iOS - I'm not so sure. I'd say availability of apps (but that could change). Windows are paying developers to write apps for WP.

Windows/Mac - we'll have to see how W8 pans out. I think the two are a lot closer than when I switched from Vista, which was a dog. But I haven't used W7 nor tested W8 so can't really comment. Obviously app selection favours Windows. It may be 6 of one/half a dozen of the other, but integration of iOS and OS X is getting better all the time.

Generally I think the Apple ecosystem is better.

Wow thanks! :) exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. It's kinda sad the Microsoft has to pay devs to make apps lol.

thanks,
xenicraft

#7 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

View Postxenicraft, on 21 April 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

Wow thanks! :) exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. It's kinda sad the Microsoft has to pay secs to make apps lol.

thanks,
xenicraft

In fairness to them it's a chicken and egg thing. Platforms are about apps. No one will buy Windows while there are few apps. Developers won't make them while no one's buying. MS have the cash reserves so it's a smart move on their part. It's purely a symptom of them being late to market with a decent phone OS.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#8 User is offline   xenicraft 

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

View PostSome Random Bloke, on 21 April 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

In fairness to them it's a chicken and egg thing. Platforms are about apps. No one will buy Windows while there are few apps. Developers won't make them while no one's buying. MS have the cash reserves so it's a smart move on their part. It's purely a symptom of them being late to market with a decent phone OS.

Ah yes.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users