Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lightroom Pixlemator

#1 User is offline   michaelw7291 

• Group: Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone had any thought on Lightroom (Full version $205.00) as against Pixelmator $29.99 in itunes and Apperture.85.00 in itunes. I am not sure what get extra in Lightroom for all that extra money. Never really having used any of the above I would just be tempted to go with Pixlemator for 29.99 but it other think it is better to spend 85.00 on Apperture I may be guided by that. Please bear in mind I have only just got a 550D

Aslo what does this mean " This recommendation, however, should be taken with a grain of salt since it doesn't always make sense to compare a pro DSLR with a entry-level DSLR. " Reason I ask is was looking on the net at a Cannon 60d as against a Nikon 5100 and from what I can read a Nikon 5100 is a basic DSLR and 60D is a semi pro DSLR but they gave the Nikon a better review.

Thanks
Michael

#2 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

They're different. I use both Aperture and Pixelmator.

Lightroom is equivalent to Aperture. Probable LR is more advanced but I've never used it (I guess it takes Photoshop plugins). But at that price I wouldn't bother with LR unless you're a Photoshop user or want it to do something specific.

Basically, Aperture is for advanced (advance amateur/pro level) adjustments to photos and has excellent photo library management (as does LR). There is significant overlap but they're really different tools.

Pixelmator is roughly equivalent to Photoshop and you can use it for more than photography - stuff like digital art. Unlike Photoshop it doesn't have plugins but there is more than enough functionality for amateur use.

I use Aperture far more than Pixelmator.

Just depends what you want to do with it.

As far as reviews go - they will consider each camera within it's class. The Canon may be a better camera than the Nikon, but not as good as other cameras in it's class. Depends on the generation of camera, etc. as well.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#3 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The world and the things in it.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

As SRB says Lightroom and Aperture are competing products, I know pro photographers who swear by one or the other. They are both used for cataloguing photos as well as adjustment (like a grown up version of iPhoto).

I too use Aperture. I suspect that Lightroom has more advanced adjustment features although I suspect that Aperture will get an upgrade eventually which will bring it into line. For years they seem to have been leapfrogging each other.

I also have Pixelmator, but can't say that I've really made the switch from Photoshop Elements - just can't find my way around it as easilty.

Cheers,

P

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users