Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Camera Lens

#1 User is offline   michaelw7291 

• Group: Members

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Hi

I did end up bying a Cannon 550D after reading the posts i did take the advise and puchased a Cannon EF 50 f/1.8 II.

I am now looking at purchasing another lens and I do not know if I am being a little lazy but the advise I have got of there has always been good and direct.

This is my first DSLR camera so am still learing and have been around a few of the camera shope and have been advised to look at purcasing a Tamron 18-270, which i have been told I will never want to take off the camera. Not sure if it just sales talk or not. I have been quote $630.00 for a new one and have seen second hand ones for from about $400.00 upwards,

I have around $600.00 to spend with and like most would like to get the best value for dollar. Any advise offered will be greatly appreciated.

My niece is getting married in late September and I would like to be able to get some great photos for her and friends and family that attent. I have no ambition to be the wedding photographer.

Thanks Michael

#2 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The world and the things in it.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Hi Michael,

I happen to have a Nikon DSLR, and a few nice lenses which all have their uses, but at least 80% of the time I use my Nikon 18-200 lens. The Tamron you are looking at is similarly specified, but a longer zoom of course.

I consider myself to be very much a snapshooter rather than photographer, and I take a lot of snapshots with that lens!

Flick back on some of my daily photos at http://sunshinecoastdaily.blogspot.com or pick a month at random between April and September (for a wider range of tourist shots) at http://bitingmidge.blogspot.com to get an idea of the flexibility of this lens. It's really my standard "walkaround" that I use for everything. It's not the nicest lens on the market, and has lots of compromises with speed, distortion etc, but the photos usually get the message across.

Be very careful shooting weddings with this lens as it can trap you into "using the zoom" to frame shots, and unless you know what you are doing, if you use a focal length of less than say 35mm you can get some weird distortions happening by exaggerating perspective.

The nice thing is that if you get this lens, you can get some prime lenses quite economically later on if you feel you need to plug some holes in the focal range.

Cheers,

P

#3 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

It's a very wide focal length, which is good in itself, but these lenses do come with a few issues. They're not as fast - which means they don't let in as much life which means longer shutter times in low light. They can have quality issues such as purple fringing and distortion. Bulk may also be an issue but I'm not familiar with that lens in particular. It really depends what you want to do with it. Personally I prefer two lenses as they have less of these issues. But entirely depends on your needs and preferences.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#4 User is offline   michaelw7291 

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

Hi Guys

Thank for you replies. I had a look at some of the photos on the links provided and the look great.

I am really just interest in people thoughts and a good walk around second lens, like I say this is my first DSLR camera so am really after making a hobby more than anything

I am not quite sure by what Xenophus means by Personally I prefer two lenses as they have less of these issues

Thanks Michael

#5 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

I mean rather than an 18-200 I use something like an18-50 and a 50-200, or something like that. The downside is you have to muck around swapping lenses, the upside is the wider lens will usually let in more light.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#6 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

Hi Michael,

I have a Canon 7D and I have the exact lens you were shown, the Tamron 18-270mm.

It is a good lens and is really good value for money. The quality of the picture it takes is pretty good too.

I would say though that the quality of the picture is compromised because it's not a fixed focal length lens and it's trying to cater for a variety of focal lengths instead of just 1 focal length or a smaller focal length range. I have noticed that sometimes the image isn't as sharp as I would like it to be, but I come from a graphic design background and I'm a bit of a perfectionist and scrutinize these things. Also as Alex said, it's not a fast lens, meaning it's not great in low light situations.

It's called a travel lens, as you can take it away on holidays with you, and not have to bother with carrying different lenses with varying focal lengths, as this lens caters for a wide range of focal lengths.

If you're not a professional photographer, this lens will suit you perfectly.

If I had the budget I would personally buy the Canon L series lenses. They are very expensive professional lenses, and the quality is superb, but now I'm dreaming...:)

I bought the Tamron Lens online from a company called Topbuy. Their website is www.topbuy.com.au. They are reputable and reliable. I also bought the Canon 7D body from them as well. Also the prices they offer are cheaper than in the shops.

Check out the link below which is the lens on Topbuys site.

http://www.topbuy.co...B008-p67982.htm
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#7 User is offline   michaelw7291 

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hi Guys

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am not a professional at all, this is my first DSLR and hopefully will become a great hobby. I think I will go with the lens until I get better at it.

Just on a side issue, I am really happy with what I have got and will buy later. My sister was looking at getting the 550D (twin lens) as well. One of the girls I work with is selling her 40D with a EFS 17-85 lens. She wants $500.00 for the whole lot including camera lens and everything that came in box. I know the Cannon 550d with lends is a bit more expensive. My sister is wary or price and from what we can see the 40D would be OK. She is like me very new to this and some sites say go with with 550d and some say go with the 40D it all persoanl preference. Any thoughts.

Thanks Michael

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users