• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Poll-Cast

#1 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cinema, soapboxing, writing, reading, coffee.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

New poll up on the homepage for all you keen voters.

We've talked about the new iPad on the forum pages a lot, so I know you all have opinions on the following topic Does the new iPad disappoint or impress?

Cast your poll vote and let's see.

In the past it's often easy to foresee the most popular answer, but I'm not sure it's as clear this time around.

What do you think?

G

#2 User is offline   Dave Bullard 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

Disappointed. It's a really good tablet compared to non-Apple ones, but not as good as it should be.

My wife & kids want the 2 back! (No kidding ...)

Cheers
Dave

#3 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

What more were you looking for Dave??

I admit I like the iPad 2. Even though the new iPad is only 1mm thicker, you can still feel the weight difference.

It would be great if they could make a retina iPad at the same thickness of the iPad 2.
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#4 User is offline   Dave Bullard 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

It's more about what's wrong than what's missing, Brian. I don't like the extra weight, the heat (though admittedly it isn't hot all the time), the ridiculously slow recharge times, the fact they haven't adapted the LTE antenna for different markets ...

But what else would I have liked? Siri instead of Dictation, haptic feedback would have been nice, true multitasking (though that's an iOS issue),

It's a great product in every other sense, but overall I don't think it's enough of an improvement over the iP2.

Cheers
Dave

#5 User is offline   arcanedevice 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'm just wondering when I'm going to get my email from Apple advising I can get a refund - not that I'm going to, of course. It was made pretty clear in the week before that 4G wouldn't work in Australia, and I recall being handed something at launch anyway that specified as such.

It would be nice though if Apple did provide me with a small store credit in recognition of the error though. I'm cheap - even $20 would satisfy me, and I'd be sure to spend 10 times that anyway...

#6 User is online   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

As Dave points out the iPad 3 is fine, but it could have been tweaked a bit more, but then of course extra tweaking is not what apple is about these days, it's more about staying an inch or two in front of there competition, not reinventing the wheel like they used to do, when they were a much smaller company trying to survive.
Come on 20K

Ken

#7 User is offline   golfer 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Gynocology

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Can't believe some of the dribble I'm reading here. If the retina screen is not innovative enough to be considered more than staying and inch or two in front of the competition then it's time for me to go back into hibernation.

#8 User is online   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

What we are saying is the retina display is nice, but it's not a ground breaking feature ?
Come on 20K

Ken

#9 User is offline   golfer 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

View PostKen Gracey, on 30 March 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

What we are saying is the retina display is nice, but it's not a ground breaking feature ?

It's not? Has it ever been done before at this size? No. Enough, I know you're just trying to get posts up but this is just stupid, and I'm getting even more angry by writing to justify something that has never been available in this form before as innovative. Cya.

#10 User is online   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

The iPad should of had Siri or something, the retina display is neither here nor there, if they put the retina display on the iPad before the iPhone !

Yes it would be a big deal, but now the iPad is simply playing second cousin. The iPad and the iPhone simply mimick each other these days.

O and I won't post a full reply to your post count comment, or else you will be on my case about taking the subject off topic again.
Come on 20K

Ken

#11 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The world and the things in it.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

View PostKen Gracey, on 30 March 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

The iPad should of had Siri or something, the retina display is neither here nor there, if they put the retina display on the iPad before the iPhone !

Umm... Apple only need to make it different enough to suck another few million sales, then they'll tweak something else and suck another few million sales. It's not a difficult concept.

What is difficult for me to get my head around is the relentless need for more on behalf of everyone who has one.

Last year the iPad two was (to borrow from my Chinese friends) the Great Leap Forward, as indeed was the iPhone 3gs. Both are perfectly adequate gadgets and for those of us who waited for specific needs to be met (gps in the phone, camera in the iPad) would need a much more compelling reason to buy other than "it's the latest thing".

My iMac is now five years old, it's a little slow processing monster video now, but is still perfectly adequate, yet I've never been disappointed when a new iMac model is announced because it wasn't "different" enough.

There is no need for Apple to ever produce another ground breaking device, they've proved their point, control the music, video and software industries as well... what more do they need?

Consumers certainly don't actually "need" anything more, so why are you spoiled kids crying out that you do? What can a new iPad have that will contribute to your life in a positive way? Siri? I have a wife to talk to. Retina screen? Oh pullleeaase! It's lovely, but unless you've got a graphic portfolio to show off, why don't you just buy a 50" LCD tele and be done with it, it'll cost you less than an iPad after all. You know you want one.

Cheers,

P

#12 User is online   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

Now hang on a minute there Pete !!!!

So you are the culprit that bought all my grumpy pills, i knew somebody cleaned the store out.

But anyway back to the subject at hand, as you rightly to say apple have gone from the great innovative company it once was, into a company that just tweaks things from time to time, to keep us coming back for more, its obviously a formula that works, look at the iPad 3 sales figures.

I have not bought an iPad 3 simply because it wasn't a big enough upgrade, to entice the Amex card out of my wallet, my iPad 1 still works like a dream, runs all the apps i need, and i was able to upgrade it to iOS 5.1, so what more do i need ?

I wonder, from all the people here that have bought one, whats the difference?

The camera ? lets see so you pull a 9 inch tablet out of your pocket to shoot pictures ? Pleeeese

The faster processor ? so you can now surf Facebook faster ? give me a break

The bigger battery its a bonus ? even though it only charges to 90% :italiamac_rolleyes:

The retina display, books are easier to read, and the text is super crisp when you blow it up... Buy a pair of Glasses i think you need them

O the super hot battery heats up and slowly fries my ugly bits.... No comment :P
Come on 20K

Ken

#13 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

View PostKen Gracey, on 31 March 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

Now hang on a minute there Pete !!!!

The camera ? lets see so you pull a 9 inch tablet out of your pocket to shoot pictures ? Pleeeese

You may find this hard to believe, but my beloved (who doesn't have pockets) uses the iPad as her primary camera. Every time she cooks a meal or a grandchild does something cute, there's a photo being emailed to someone or other!

Cheers,

P

#14 User is online   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Yeah but I am sure she doesn't carry it in her hand bag, and pulls it out every time she wants to take a family pic to email back ?
Come on 20K

Ken

#15 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers ...but am no expert .

IMAc Intel 2.9GhZ Icore i5; Ipod Classic 120GB now reconverted to Iphone5. Ipad air. Love cooking and gardening and travelling and animated discussions.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

I really agree with you there Peter on a few points...this mad race to ever possess, hoard, accumulate, stockpile( ever thought of the rubbish?)

Apple make some great , innovative beautiful and fantastic products, there is no need to keep on having the next one and the next one. The never ending buying.

And I am with Ken here also. My Ipad 1 is great and still functions like a dream. Do lots of reading on it and take it with me when I travel.

View Postbitingmidge, on 30 March 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

Umm... Apple only need to make it different enough to suck another few million sales, then they'll tweak something else and suck another few million sales. It's not a difficult concept.

What is difficult for me to get my head around is the relentless need for more on behalf of everyone who has one.

Last year the iPad two was (to borrow from my Chinese friends) the Great Leap Forward, as indeed was the iPhone 3gs. Both are perfectly adequate gadgets and for those of us who waited for specific needs to be met (gps in the phone, camera in the iPad) would need a much more compelling reason to buy other than "it's the latest thing".

My iMac is now five years old, it's a little slow processing monster video now, but is still perfectly adequate, yet I've never been disappointed when a new iMac model is announced because it wasn't "different" enough.

There is no need for Apple to ever produce another ground breaking device, they've proved their point, control the music, video and software industries as well... what more do they need?

Consumers certainly don't actually "need" anything more, so why are you spoiled kids crying out that you do? What can a new iPad have that will contribute to your life in a positive way? Siri? I have a wife to talk to. Retina screen? Oh pullleeaase! It's lovely, but unless you've got a graphic portfolio to show off, why don't you just buy a 50" LCD tele and be done with it, it'll cost you less than an iPad after all. You know you want one.

Cheers,

P

If you don't ask, there will be no answer!
Curiosity has immense benefits for all!

#16 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers ...but am no expert .

IMAc Intel 2.9GhZ Icore i5; Ipod Classic 120GB now reconverted to Iphone5. Ipad air. Love cooking and gardening and travelling and animated discussions.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

Truly it does not impress nor disappoint because i am not going to buy a new one for the sake of a new one. So it is irrelevant for me at this stage. If I were in the market for something new and my Ipad1 would stop then it will be a different story.

View Postgracer, on 29 March 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

New poll up on the homepage for all you keen voters.

We've talked about the new iPad on the forum pages a lot, so I know you all have opinions on the following topic Does the new iPad disappoint or impress?

Cast your poll vote and let's see.

In the past it's often easy to foresee the most popular answer, but I'm not sure it's as clear this time around.

What do you think?

G

If you don't ask, there will be no answer!
Curiosity has immense benefits for all!

#17 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostKen Gracey, on 31 March 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

Yeah but I am sure she doesn't carry it in her hand bag, and pulls it out every time she wants to take a family pic to email back ?

I'm afraid she does! :blink:

Apple have a greater understanding of their market than you or I I'm afraid.

She has a perfectly good little Olympus clicky cam, AND I spent $50 on a camera adaptor for the ipad but no, the iPad just comes anywhere. How else are you going to show people pictures of the boat over dinner? And no, I 'm not kidding about that either! :italiamac_redface:

Cheers,

P

#18 User is offline   Dave Bullard 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

The point I'm trying to make is that the iPad III is a great tablet ... but it's not enough of an advance over the iPad 2 to justify the upgrade, and any new product from Apple in the hugelt competitive tablet market can't afford to have as many negatives as this one does. Golfer, I don't think the Retina screen is enough in itself.

Cheers
Dave

#19 User is offline   golfer 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

To each his own.

#20 User is online   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

It seems to be the most underwhelming apple product in a long long time.

Like I have said previously, if you have an iPad 1 and it's still going strong, there is little reason other than bragging rights to buy one.
Come on 20K

Ken

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users