Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: Why You Will Never Need To Upgrade To A New Ipad Every Year - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why You Will Never Need To Upgrade To A New Ipad Every Year

#1 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

To all the dissapointed people out there over the New iPad...the ones who put Apple down, the ones who think Apple aren't innovative anymore, the ones who generally like to stir things up...the ones who think they know better, or could do better and never do...

Read this article as it will put everything into perspective...as well as further clarify what Alex, Jamie and myself have been saying everytime Apple releases a new product.

Why You Will Never Need To Upgrade To A New iPad Every Year
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#2 User is offline   Islandhead 

• Man with the big zucchini
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:IT, Mountain Biking, Gardening, Reading

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Quite an acidic post so early in the morning Brian.

Good link though, thanks.
~ Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. ~ Winston Churchill

#3 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

I agree completely. As I've been saying, the revolution has happened. The retina display was a breakthrough we knew was coming but, apart from some geeky tech no one cares about, there's nowhere left to go from a UX perspective. I still think the battery is the unsung hero of the device. But from now on hardware improvements will be incremental and revolve around battery life, size, speed and camera. The next big leap will be a light field camera which will be awesome.

The big news, as always, will be apps, which are partially dependent on hardware.

We may see a 7" this year (I'm more inclined to believe) and I think there will be room for a 13" and/or 15" before long - if implemented right for the desktop. But this isn't really news - just marketing.

Connectivity has a ways to go. Apple has been innovative in some areas and retarded in others but I think there can be improvements in device to device communications. But again, this isn't ground breaking. At best Apple will just overlay current tech with a great UI (provided they're up to it post-Steve).

NFC, of course.

I expect retina displays to be ported to the macs. The 10" Air is a prime candidate. Pixels don't need to be as dense as the iPad because of viewing distances.

What of the future? I've already mentioned Lytro camera and NFC, but these aren't really news. It's a case of when, not if. Flexible display? We need to fix the battery issue before that is a realistic proposition. Maybe some kind of fold-up device could work, but I don't see Apple doing that. 3D/holographic displays? Pfft.

But don't expect anything soon. Applications will be the story.

Thinking about it, this raises another issue. Our expectations have risen, leading to disappointment, but also we can imagine the future more. No one expected the iPhone and the iPad even took everyone by surprise. But are we at the point where we've become so used to seeing 'amazing' that it no longer amazes us? What's normal today was sic fi just 10 years ago and we are getting used to progress.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#4 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

I think i will have a " nerdgasm" :yahoo:
"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

#5 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers ...but am no expert .

IMAc Intel 2.9GhZ Icore i5; Ipod Classic 120GB now reconverted to Iphone5. Ipad air. Love cooking and gardening and travelling and animated discussions.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Hi, great article Brian and very well put indeed. And may I say so without shame that it is spot on even if I put it down before.
Thanks for the link.

Also Choice mag has rated the Ipad 2 as the best ...No: one of 37 tablets available in Oz. But we knew that already that is why we are lovers of Apple.

The second best is an Acer and Samsung with 10 pts behind Apple with 83%.
If you don't ask, there will be no answer!
Curiosity has immense benefits for all!

#6 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Yes the new iPad is cool, but it's a sales flop, you can virtually walk into any store, and walk out with one, without breaking unto a sweat, my sons work got 60 in on release day, and they still have 40 left almost a week on.

So it may ave a pretty display, and a bigger battery but it's not breaking any sales records, now I understand why Big W discounted them by $50 bucks.
Come on 20K

Ken

#7 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Maybe Ken. We'll see. The TNT driver who delivered my ATV today said they delivered 3000 in Perth Friday, with more today.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#8 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

I got my ATV last Wednesday, my little buddy JZ help me set it up, ATVs are selling like hot cakes, but iPads not so much.
Come on 20K

Ken

#9 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

Here we go again... Ken going Blah Blah Blah.....

#10 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

I think it's a consequence of being available for pre-order online. The Apple store is still showing shipping in 1-2 weeks (in stock for the iPad 2). Christmas would have been a big season for the iPad and most iPad 2 owners (and even a lot of 1st gen owners) wouldn't feel the need to upgrade. In yesterday's conference call Tim Cook mentioned it was a record breaking weekend. It seems they got a bit ahead with inventory this time, also. So it may not have been as big as last year, but that hardly makes it a flop.

#11 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

Well every picture on every site i have seen so far, there has not been the excitement or the crowds of any other apple new release.

YES it will sell, i am not going to say it won't, but i think it will be a slow ramp up, not the pandemonium of previous apple events, it just wasn't ground breaking, enough to draw large crowds.

Apple have become smarter over the years, they no longer have to produce insanely great products, they just need to make incremental improvements to stay ahead of the game, nothing more nothing less.

O and BB, not all of us own or want to own Rose Coloured glasses, to see apples new products through.
Come on 20K

Ken

#12 User is offline   golfer 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Gynocology

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

View PostKen Gracey, on 19 March 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

Yes the new iPad is cool, but it's a sales flop, you can virtually walk into any store, and walk out with one, without breaking unto a sweat, my sons work got 60 in on release day, and they still have 40 left almost a week on.

So it may ave a pretty display, and a bigger battery but it's not breaking any sales records, now I understand why Big W discounted them by $50 bucks.

Good to see in your few days break that you didn't lose your knack for talking crap TL. Apple just announced that over three million iPads were sold on the first weekend, and AT&T confirm that with their record activations. Read that again TL, three million sold in the first weekend..... What a failure!

#13 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers ...but am no expert .

IMAc Intel 2.9GhZ Icore i5; Ipod Classic 120GB now reconverted to Iphone5. Ipad air. Love cooking and gardening and travelling and animated discussions.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

Hey guys have a look at this demo of Ipads

Would this shatter our views?

http://www.redmondpi...concrete-video/

View PostKen Gracey, on 20 March 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

Well every picture on every site i have seen so far, there has not been the excitement or the crowds of any other apple new release.

YES it will sell, i am not going to say it won't, but i think it will be a slow ramp up, not the pandemonium of previous apple events, it just wasn't ground breaking, enough to draw large crowds.

Apple have become smarter over the years, they no longer have to produce insanely great products, they just need to make incremental improvements to stay ahead of the game, nothing more nothing less.

O and BB, not all of us own or want to own Rose Coloured glasses, to see apples new products through.

If you don't ask, there will be no answer!
Curiosity has immense benefits for all!

#14 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

Fantastic, they MOVED 3 million units out of inventory, does this actually mean they sold 3 million units and have the cash in the bank, I doubt it.. moving 3 million units is a lot different to selling 3 Million physical units.
Come on 20K

Ken

#15 User is offline   Greumach 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:All things mac, Celtic music and culture, Bible study, Bicycle Riding and the great outdoors.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

Good article and I agree with it.

I am buying the new iPad because I love the iPad, it has a big place ion my life.......and because I can!
I'm selling my ipad2 to a friend who wants one but cannot afford a new one.

So he benefits and I do too.

In the past I have passed on one or two year old iMacs and MacBooks to my children. One son is already waiting for me to upgrade the MBP I bought last year 😜
I guess this sounds like I'm justifying my new purchase, not that I care, I love Apple products and trust completely that they are quality products.

On a side note, my local Testra Business rep. Keeps stirring me about his 4G tablet. So what? Nothing comes close to iPad and iPhone, end of!
Graham in Tassie

#16 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Lol, Ken. Not going down without a fight! But Wired is saying they sold 3 million. http://bit.ly/FPYvJD.

#17 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

Alex you know me by now, if you can't beat them with logic baffle them with BS
Come on 20K

Ken

#18 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

No Rose coloured glasses here.... Just a regular Apple fan wanting to discuss Apples products instead of bashing them and their sales performance. (And yes, I know Apple aren't perfect, nothing is.)

By the way, there is a difference between the word 'Sold' and 'Moved'.

#19 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Come on kiddies, Ken, it's time for you to have a afternoon nap now, Brian, go the Valium, it works, I might order mine tonight.....

"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

#20 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Brian, I am just calling it as I see it, I personally don't care if apple say they have 1 or 1 million units , good luck to them, I am just saying you can walk into any store in town and buy one
Come on 20K

Ken

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users