• You cannot reply to this topic

Apples Greatest Threat It's self, and plus Tim Cooks vision

#1 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

As somebody who has been in business now for 20 years, I found this post very thought provoking, most people will probably disagree with this guys comments, but personally I think he is spot on the money.

Thought provoking

Please read, all the way to the end, and see if you agree or disagree, before telling me I am apple bashing again...

Oops, could one of the admins, please change the heading to, apples greatest threat, and Tim cooks vision ( the plus was a boo boo) thanks.
Come on 20K

Ken

#2 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

Um... I thought you had left the forums???
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#3 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests: Apple Inc.
    Sony
    Nintendo
    Pixar
    Star Wars
    Superman
    Reading
    Food - Cooking
    Photography
    Design
    Great Coffee

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

I do disagree partially. The better apple products are the more it pushes the competitor. The better the competitors product the apple will push technology to make there own better. Without strong competition we'd all be using crappy Microsoft products.
And Samsung making the screens for apple, well two things. Apple would have hell patented out of their ideas. Stopping the competitors from making them. also the contract for Samsung to make the screen s for apple would be huge. Far to much money for Samsung to throw away by stealing apples ideas.
jz
"It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" - Steve Jobs

#4 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Didn't you also argue at one point that it's nigh on impossible for a company to do everything itself? :P

At any rate, I don't see it as that much of a threat. Sure those companies might be building Apple devices, but they couldn't manage it without Apple. And so while they may very well start building their own devices they won't have the necessary vision to keep up with Apple. Or probably the cash either.
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#5 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers ...but am no expert .

IMAc Intel 2.9GhZ Icore i5; Ipod Classic 120GB now reconverted to Iphone5. Ipad air. Love cooking and gardening and travelling and animated discussions.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Brillant article Ken, thanks. So true also. :good:

I have said these sorts of things for years..It is a huge mistake to outsource products because the results are obvious. Apple is not immune. China is hungry for new technologies and they have long long long term vision I am sure of that. If us in the west think about short terms profits, the Asians/Chinese are looking at 50 year down the track. I think for the sake of profits we are blinded with short terms outcomes.

By the way Brian, Ken said that he was not participating for a week only if I remembered correctly. :blink:

View PostKen Gracey, on 18 March 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

As somebody who has been in business now for 20 years, I found this post very thought provoking, most people will probably disagree with this guys comments, but personally I think he is spot on the money.

Thought provoking

Please read, all the way to the end, and see if you agree or disagree, before telling me I am apple bashing again...

Oops, could one of the admins, please change the heading to, apples greatest threat, and Tim cooks vision ( the plus was a boo boo) thanks.

If you don't ask, there will be no answer!
Curiosity has immense benefits for all!

#6 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Competitors can copy all they like. At the end of the day they aren't Apple and don't have the simplistic beautiful ecosystem that Apple has.

A product is one thing, but the software is what also makes a product successful. That's something a competitor can't copy.

Let's say Samsung made a tablet exactly like the iPad.. It will be running Android...need I say more.

I have wondered why Samsung don't make the same screen as the iPhone and iPad.. But I realised Apple has patents on its designs and therefore can't be copied without ramifications.

I also think alot of successful products have brand association..so if a competitor came out with an equally good product, it's the brand and it's association to the products they make, which is what make them successful... Not just the fact that they make good quality products.
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#7 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

OTOH, Apple has a large war chest and could probably buy or build a few factories if it felt the need. But that's a recent phenomenon and it wouldn't have had that capacity until the last year or two.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#8 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Oh, and great to see you back Ken!
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users