• You cannot reply to this topic

Ios 5.1 Manual Update

#1 User is offline   clinton1550 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hiya fellas, long time no see eh?

I have a problem, my iPhone decided to restore itself while I was at work. I couldn't do anything to fix it because I needed A) a Wi-Fi network or B) a computer with iTunes installed. So I've been walking around for the last five hours with a nice glass paperweight in my pocket that does little more than tell the time and make emergency calls.

Anyway, I'm home now and I still haven't fixed the problem. I can't activate my iPhone on the iPhone itself because it's not connecting to the activation server and I can't restore the iPhone through iTunes because, eh, stupid iTunes is being stupid.

Now, does anyone know where I can find the iOS 5.1 update on the Apple Support site? I've looked and I can't find it. I need to download the update package and install it manually, it's my best shot at fixing this.

Many thanks in advance.
Steve Jobs is not dead, he's driving around in the desert with Elvis and Jesus in a gold plated Cadillac.
Unsanely Great | The Exastential Podcast | Twitter | Flickr | Google+

#2 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Clint - is this any good to you? Can't vouch for it.

http://mac.softpedia...-Firmware.shtml
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#3 User is offline   golfer 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Gynocology

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

Something must have gone amiss somewhere, because Dan Warne tweeted today that both his and his wife's iPhones, on different networks, had both deactivated. Clinton, perhaps worth checking some apple forums to see if there is a trend rather than think its just you.

#4 User is offline   clinton1550 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

View PostXenophos, on 15 March 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

Clint - is this any good to you? Can't vouch for it.

http://mac.softpedia...-Firmware.shtml

I've been sent this link through twitter http://gdeluxe.com/i...download-links/ It's a collection of iOS device software updates going back to iOS 4, all linked directly to Apple so I've gone with that.

View Postgolfer, on 15 March 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

Something must have gone amiss somewhere, because Dan Warne tweeted today that both his and his wife's iPhones, on different networks, had both deactivated. Clinton, perhaps worth checking some apple forums to see if there is a trend rather than think its just you.

Hrmm, very strange. I'll have a look around the forums to see if anyone else is having trouble.
Steve Jobs is not dead, he's driving around in the desert with Elvis and Jesus in a gold plated Cadillac.

#5 User is offline   clinton1550 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Good news! I've successfully restored my iPhone!

This was the only thing I found on Apple Support about the iOS 5.1 update now can anyone see a link to actually download it? Because I can't.

Next question, does anyone know Tim Cook's email address? I want to send him some feedback.

#6 User is offline   Islandhead 

• Man with the big zucchini
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:IT, Mountain Biking, Gardening, Reading

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Great news Clinton, so how did you do it in the end?
~ Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. ~ Winston Churchill

#7 User is offline   Dave Bullard 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

Hey Clinton

Long time no see! Tim's at tcook@apple.com. He seems to be quite good at replying.

And yeah, can't see a link there. Must ... go ... through ... proper ... channels.

Cheers
Dave

#8 User is offline   clinton1550 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostIslandhead, on 15 March 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

Great news Clinton, so how did you do it in the end?

I downloaded the appropriate iOS SW update package from this site, then option-clicked the "Restore" button in iTunes and selected the package. From there it was a normal restore. I backed up my iPhone last night so I haven't lost anything.

When I tried updating iOS through iTunes, iTunes first insisted that the software needed to be updated, then insisted that it was up to date!

#9 User is offline   clinton1550 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

View PostDave Bullard, on 15 March 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

Hey Clinton

Long time no see! Tim's at tcook@apple.com. He seems to be quite good at replying.

And yeah, can't see a link there. Must ... go ... through ... proper ... channels.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks, I'll get my thoughts in order so I'm not yelling at him. I'm just annoyed that I couldn't fix this problem without a Wi-Fi network or a computer. PC free setup my foot! Where's the "Just make the phone work, I'll sort the rest out later" button huh?

#10 User is offline   clinton1550 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for you help last week guys, seven days with a working iPhone and loving it. I swear the battery life has dramatically improved now too, it only lost 20% for the entire day yesterday and I had 3G and Bluetooth turned on.

Now, it would be remiss of me not to do some self-promotion while I'm here, if you want to find out exactly what happened to my iPhone last week, have a listen to the Exastential Podcast (Where were the doomsday warnings?). If you don't want to find out exactly what happened to my iPhone last week, have a listen anyway. :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users