Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: Ipad Sale Day Tomorrow - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ipad Sale Day Tomorrow Who's getting one?

#1 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cinema, soapboxing, writing, reading, coffee.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

The time has come, well, close enough to it. Third-gen iPad goes on sale tomorrow at 8am.

Will anyone trek to a store and line up to get one?

I asked the same question on Facebook today and received some pretty nonchalant feedback, to say the least. Many people are going to the resellers for theirs while others don't seem too interested in getting one at all.

Hot tip for you: The Good Guys are letting customers reserve the new iPad and will match Big W's $849 price tag for the 64GB 4G model.

By the way, when you compare how people are gearing up for tomorrow's launch to last year's iPad 2 release, it doesn't compare at all. There was much more hype last year and people camped outside Apple Stores days in advance of the big event.

Maybe I'm not alone in my belief that the usual buzz surrounding Apple product launches just isn't here this time around. And looking to the future: Compare tomorrow's sale with that of iPhone 5 and I predict the latter will outweigh the former a hundred times over.

What do you guys think?

G

#2 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

While the screen is amazing, there's nothing really new, I suppose. I mean, retina display is on the iPhone. It's not really any faster, etc. Those with an iPad 2 (me) are probably satisfied to wait, those with a 1 who want to upgrade can wait a few weeks. What's happened with the iPhone the last couple of years (I don't remember) by way of comparison?
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#3 User is offline   arcanedevice 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

View Postgracer, on 15 March 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Will anyone trek to a store and line up to get one?

Initially I would have said yes, but having gone through the specs in detail there isn't a great deal to make this a 'must-have'. So I now don't see the urgency in upgrading - although I WILL be upgrading - and am prepared to just rock up and take a chance this time. Besides, Australian retailers are notorious for ballsing-up pre-order processes.

the usual buzz surrounding Apple product launches just isn't here this time around.

One of the biggest selling points for the 'new' iPad is the 4G capability, but that will be a no-show for Australia. The other big bonus is the retina display but I don't think that is as big a promotional point as Apple like to think beyond the geek market - ask your average punter on the street what it is and most wouldn't know / care. And like Xenophos said, it just isn't the game changer that past enhancements have been.

#4 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

View Postarcanedevice, on 15 March 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

The other big bonus is the retina display but I don't think that is as big a promotional point as Apple like to think beyond the geek market - ask your average punter on the street what it is and most wouldn't know / care. And like Xenophos said, it just isn't the game changer that past enhancements have been.

I agree but I think once people see it things will start to change. Everyone (reviewers) who sees it loves it and can't go back - bit like the iPhone only this is a 24.6cm screen - that starts to make a difference. I think it will be a case of early adopters leading demand.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#5 User is offline   Islandhead 

• Man with the big zucchini
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:IT, Mountain Biking, Gardening, Reading

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

I won't be getting one as the upgrade from my iPad 2 I have isn't enough for me (if I still only had my iPad 1 I would definitely be in the queue)

I'm impressed with what I have heard about the retina display from online reviews, but lack of 4G in Australia is a real disappointment (yes yes, i know its not Apples fault, but I'm still disappointed)

Will definitely be interested in the iPad 4 though :)
~ Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. ~ Winston Churchill

#6 User is offline   Dave Bullard 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Yeah, all true, arcanedevice. I'm getting one for work, but not sure I'd be upgrading from my iPad 2 if I wasn't doing this gig.

That said, new kit is ALWAYS good! :yahoo:

Cheers
Dave

#7 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

There's not much hype and excitement for this launch.

Check out the photo below...this is the line up outside the Sydney Apple Store in George Street at 2pm today...not many people there. Although the guy at the front was camping out there since yesterday, so he's keen.

The iPhone 5 launch is going to be massive!

Posted Image
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#8 User is offline   golfer 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Gynocology

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

When talking about lines and hype for this iPad as opposed to the last one, you all seem to forget that last time you could not pre-order and get delivery on release day. You either lined up or you didn't get one. This time the lines will definitely be less as I for one lined up last year because there was no option. This time I've already received my invoice and shipment advice and know that i will get it tomorrow without having to spend hours in a queue. So don't read anything into the lack of lines or hype, just wait and see the sales figures and you'll realize the same demand was there.

#9 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

True Golfer - and they've sold out online. Delivery is 2-3 weeks.

#10 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Good point Golfer. I didn't realise you couldn't pre order one last year.
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#11 User is offline   Greumach 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:All things mac, Celtic music and culture, Bible study, Bicycle Riding and the great outdoors.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

Pre ord is great for those who don't have a store nearby to line up against. Not that I would anyway.
Mine should be here on the 23rd.

Bit OT, but a mate said he would buy my ipad2, one place ion the US offering to buy iPads reckon mine in worth $290 US FOKR 32gb wifi in good nick.
http://www.gazelle.c...ifi/313267-gpid

I would hope for a bit more than that.
Graham in Tassie

#12 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Cinema, soapboxing, writing, reading, coffee.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

Got to say I think it's pretty impressive that Big W was selling them so cheap! That's big competition for buyers who aren't fazed by missing out on the 'Apple experience' and want a bit of a discount. I think that's going to be a shift we see more as Apple products become more mass market.

G

#13 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Grace - they'd have to be selling them at a loss at that price wouldn't they?

#14 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

I just thought I would add to Brian's picture, me being the country guy had the opportunity to have a night in Sydney, before I go home to paradise, just staying one street away it's was like a kid in a lolly factory, drawn in by the thought of seeing the latest marvel that caused all the chaos on the forum, I just had to see one. The line up was growing as the evening wore on....

I was more fascinated with the actual architecture of the building.......

Apple Sydney Store

Posted Image
"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

#15 User is offline   Greumach 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:All things mac, Celtic music and culture, Bible study, Bicycle Riding and the great outdoors.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

View Postklytia, on 16 March 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

I just thought I would add to Brian's picture, me being the country guy had the opportunity to have a night in Sydney, before I go home to paradise, just staying one street away it's was like a kid in a lolly factory, drawn in by the thought of seeing the latest marvel that caused all the chaos on the forum, I just had to see one. The line up was growing as the evening wore on....

I was more fascinated with the actual architecture of the building.......

Apple Sydney Store

Posted Image

Given the tricky lighting, that is a very nicely exposed photo.
Graham in Tassie

#16 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

Thanks, it was just at the right time of the day, edited with A3, great program for the average user
"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users