• You cannot reply to this topic

Does The New 'ipad' Make Brand Sense? What's in a name? Apparently not a '3'

#21 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Did I just hear you say poor workers ? So you are conceding that apple pays people peanuts ? And maybe just maybe apple are not the shinning example of corporate greed, you have been blinded by ?

Damn Brian if this place is going to become blinded by fanboy fanatics, and anybody who has an opinion that, does not follow the hype that apple spills out, I think the forums, will be interesting with only you and Jamie, telling each other how wonderful apple products are.

Damn even apples own forums, get people on there telling apple there products are rubbish and faulty, but let's set up a policy, that if somebody has an evil thought about an apple product or design, they are sent to the salt mines.

In future, we will change the name from Mac world, to Communist world.

And if you think I am to blame, for the lack of posts on here, I will take a week off, lets see if you fanboy fanaticism, can set new posting records, well the clock is ticking... so give it your best shot.

See you in 7 days
Come on 20K

Ken

#22 User is offline   Islandhead 

• Man with the big zucchini
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:IT, Mountain Biking, Gardening, Reading

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

I don't believe I have been negative about Apple products. I own quite a few and like what they do, how they do it and the fact they work nicely together. I have said however that I don't subscribe to the fanatical and see my tech as tools for the job rather than anything else (style icon, fashion statement or whatever)

I don't think most people have been overly negative on this forum and I don't believe that's why there aren't many posters but that's another story.
~ Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. ~ Winston Churchill

#23 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers ...but am no expert .

IMAc Intel 2.9GhZ Icore i5; Ipod Classic 120GB now reconverted to Iphone5. Ipad air. Love cooking and gardening and travelling and animated discussions.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hey guys, Tassie is full of Apples at the moment and you should calm down, chill and come here doing a few pickings. The choice is great and you may find a few rotten ones in between the succulent ones.

While Apple is doing some great and superb products, the sun does not shine out of their "?!',%^#.

They do have sometimes some crap products, they are not immune. So, we must acknowledge the good and the bad. Forums do just that. People for and people venting their frustration at times for the not so good items. You have to take the lot.

Brian, i love some Apple products, there are genius working there it is true, but you can't say of a company that ALL they do is great....a little moderation will go a long way.

Ken, don't worry the storm will pass, the wind will drop and it will be back to normal.

With a great cheer from the Apple State.
If you don't ask, there will be no answer!
Curiosity has immense benefits for all!

#24 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

IMAc Intel 2.9GhZ Icore i5; Ipod Classic 120GB now reconverted to Iphone5. Ipad air. Love cooking and gardening and travelling and animated discussions.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

By the way Brian, i hope i am normal!!! Even if i exercise my right to be different.

Also, lucky not everybody agrees on everything. What a dull world it would be!

#25 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

Haha. I think everyone needs to take a chill pill. I've enjoyed this discussion. Great to see the passion coming out in different ways - including criticism. like lovers spurned :D

For my part I've moderated my views on Apple. My household is 100% Apple, but I recognize it is what it is.

The walled garden isn't for everyone for sure, but it's part of the appeal for me (funny, I hated it with Telstra, but that was different.) It's easy to use.

I think the over-blown hype is damaging, but Apple is a victim of it's own success in this - this thread is proof of that. We expect insanely great revolutionary products every year which is totally unrealistic, but Apple encourage that expectation. Apple has always delivered what we didn't know we want and we're waiting for that one more thing. Steve is gone folks, it's over. That doesn't mean Apple wont stay sharp, it just wont be revolutionary.

But there's still nothing quite like an Apple event, even with Steve gone. I thought Tim did a great Jobs.

I don't see Apple as a corporate saint or a sinner. I think it's an easy target for anyone with an axe to grind but Cook is improving it's human rights and charity profile. Neither is it my friend - it wants my dollar plain and simple. It gets it because it makes better products than anyone else on the market.

And I can't say I'm disappointed by the iPad, but I wasn't expecting more than was delivered (less in fact). I thought maybe a quad core CPU. Whoopdie chook! What we got was the best screen on the market (I was a retina display sceptic) and what seems to be a breakthrough in battery technology. Now THAT's amazing, but no one cares coz it's not sexy. And I still say the iPad is just a pane of glass. Even if there is still more amazing to come, it's not the iPad. Like the iPhone we had that revolution. You'll need to look elsewhere.

Here's a thought - what have others tried that hasn't worked that Apple can take and make great? That's where to look for any potential revolution.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#26 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

Once again Alex... Your responses are magnificent.

See folks... Constructive feedback.
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#27 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

Ta again Brian.

Here's an article on the history of Apple's naming conventions. Some nice pics of Apple's line through the years, too. http://dlvr.it/1JFMq8

I found this paragraph interesting: "With the shift to Intel processors announced in 2005, Apple's product names got even simpler, with "the new iMac," "the new Mac mini," and new series of MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, Xserve and MacBook Air models, none of which drew attention to the generation of their Intel processor, nor features such as a 64-bit architecture, DisplayPort or Thunderbolt."

It makes sense to follow this naming convention with the iPad given Apple's view that the iPad is, in fact, a PC replacement (they haven't referred to it as a 3rd device for a while now and for many people this is the only computer they need - I wonder if it's success took even Apple by surprise. With an annual release cycle it's simple enough to refer to iPad (2012 model) if one needs to be that specific. I predict they'll go the same way with iPhone. Then they'll have consistency across all product lines. Don't forget that in a year or two all iPhones and iPads will have retina displays. The differences become minor after that - better camera, irrelevant faster processor, Siri.

Compare this to other vendors which have a bewildering array of confusing products and product numbers. I looked up Samsung's website the other day and it's incredible how many models they have and 3 operating systems - WinPhone, Android and Bada. With only 3 models in a line it greatly simplifies matters for Apple and it's customers.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#28 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

View PostBrianB, on 10 March 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

I've been quiet the last day or so as I am over the negativity.

I agree with JZ.. Not many people hang around here because of the negativity.

It's ok to have an opinion, but every time a new product is released its the same cycle all over again..... Slamming Apples products and negativity. It gets boring after a while and not pleasant.

If you think the negativity is boring you should try the unrelenting Apple love. :432405569_ed9ab95ef1:
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#29 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Cinema, soapboxing, writing, reading, coffee.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

Wowser. What started as a post in response to Apple's latest event has turned into something very different than was intended.

Let me start by saying I'm ny no means an Apple hater,. And I would certainly hope that my initial post was not 100% whinge-worthy. It's because I love Apple that I have an emotional investment in any event/announcement/release that takes place. If I hated the brand, I wouldn't care either way. No matter the name, screen or size.

Let's not drag Tasmania into this argument, with allegations of extra appendages and oddities. I grew up there and I'm normal....right? Riiigggght? Okay, possibly a bad example. Even still, the Apple island is innocent in all of this.

I'd like to play therapist for a few paragraphs, and suggest that all of these impassioned responses actually have very little to do with Apple or any of its products. Its the forum and the direction that it's headed that has unsettled us. I, too, wish we had greater numbers, more posts and a variety of responses. I start threads whenever possible and I try to initiate a dialogue and engagement in the hope that new members will join and stay. I don't believe it is through lack of trying that numbers – and morale – are low.

The best way I know how to get through a muddle like this is just to keep on keeping on. We can lay blame and point to attitudes and arguments as contributing factors, but that's not the cause and it won't be the effect. Forums are made up of all sorts, that's what makes a community and it's what sparks a conversation, just like this one.

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink - we are all on here because we love the space and we'd like others to jump on board. So let's keep trying, and hoping. Also keep in mind that numbers don't always reflect value. Contributions on here may seem underwhelming, but judging from what you all have to say about the space, it means something to you. It certainly means something to me. Even if the new iPad's 'old' name does not ;)

G

#30 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

Well said Grace!

#31 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:• Apple Inc.
    • Sony
    • Nintendo
    • Pixar
    • Star Wars
    • Superman
    • Reading
    • Food - Cooking
    • Photography
    • Design
    • Great Coffee

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

i would like to clear up where i stand on this whole directions of the forums.

First of all in my opinion these forums are for Apple Junkies and Apple newbies.

I don't mind discussing the highs and lows of apple and love nothing more then helping out new comers to Mac, iPod, iPhone and iPad.

But I will no longer respond to negativity, as I said I don't mind discussing the good and bad points of a new product but won't bother with the slamming of Apple.

And as this thread has drifted off to no mans land as do many other threads, it's time we keep the threads true and constant and not turn them into a wrestling match.

Again this is my opinion and how i like to use the forums, I come and visit the as often as my lifestyle and work permits.

here's to the AMW forums getting back on trackPosted Image
jz
"It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" - Steve Jobs

#32 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Here here JZ!

#33 User is offline   golfer 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Gynocology

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

If you were to go back through the archives to when I was a VERY regular poster, you will find a thread where I mentioned that one of the reasons I was posting less was that threads constantly went off topic, and being anal, it drives me crazy! If I see a thread heading about a certain topic and click on it to read the posts, I damn well expect to read posts about the topic at hand, not several deviations that end up in dribble. Keep threads to the intended topic and you will find people responding. I am still in regular contact with several past posters and know why several left these forums, and of the reasons for leaving, one was definitely threads going off topic.

#34 User is offline   Jim 

• Cruizin
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:My Mac
    Collecting Watches
    Custom built engines
    Documentaries of the universe
    Call of Duty
    Sci Fi movies

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

View Postgolfer, on 13 March 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

If you were to go back through the archives to when I was a VERY regular poster, you will find a thread where I mentioned that one of the reasons I was posting less was that threads constantly went off topic, and being anal, it drives me crazy! If I see a thread heading about a certain topic and click on it to read the posts, I damn well expect to read posts about the topic at hand, not several deviations that end up in dribble. Keep threads to the intended topic and you will find people responding. I am still in regular contact with several past posters and know why several left these forums, and of the reasons for leaving, one was definitely threads going off topic.

I am guilty of this myself, I am so sorry this has been in the minds of past members and current, i just didn't know how bad this was frowned upon, it won't be happening again I can assure you, and the forum members.
iMac 27-inch Late 2012 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7....3tb time capsule..128gig 4g wifi iPad Air...iPhone5...3rd gen Apple tv...iPod

#35 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

It's one of the laws of physics. The longer a thread, the more chance it will go off topic :huh:

#36 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Interesting point Golfer.

Let's all try harder to stick on Topic. And Golfer, please stick around and post more..:)

#37 User is offline   arcanedevice 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

View PostJZŽ, on 13 March 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

First of all in my opinion these forums are for Apple Junkies and Apple newbies.

That's one of the good things about AMW Forums - it pretty much is just a bunch of folk who appreciate everything that Apple does in their own unique way.

I don't mind discussing the good and bad points of a new product but won't bother with the slamming of Apple.

But that will always be inevitable. No matter what the topic of the forum is, there will always be something 'negative' that can be found in any discussion - I'd even put money on the fact that it is inevitable that even you JZ will eventually find *something* about Apple that you really don't like that makes you question the company. For example, I was really put off Apple by their initial insistence to keep its environmental policies hidden back in the day, but I'm now really glad that they've opened that up and actually promote it! I can't help but wonder how much of that may not have happened had their not been the public slamming...

it's time we keep the threads true and constant and not turn them into a wrestling match.

Well as a regular reader and sometime poster who is also constrained by work and other commitments, I'd actually be disappointed to see the 'wrestling match' disappear from the forums. For me, part of what makes a great forum - and AMW is an example of this and why I keep coming back - is the ability to discuss differing points of view without turning into personal attacks on individuals. Sure, you might not agree with comments that people make about an organisation or its products, but I've not seen any disputes turn into a focussed attack on an individual here, which is a credit to the members!

And on a final note, I reckon the negativity towards Apple is great - Apple is one of the few companies that truly does deliver products that their users want and need, and the negativity towards their existing products helps them bring those product enhancements to market.

#38 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

If it was unrelenting love on these forums the conversation would dry up pretty quickly!

#39 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Gracer, i was not being derogatory towards Tassie, I just love the place.

I was enjoying the feel of the forum a lot and the fun that it was and also the clues that members have contributed when Needed. But boy! did not expect such a storm.

I accept the jokes, the negativity, the positive, and off course meanderings. It is part of it all. There is no point to take things personally. It does not work. It is acrymonious and not productive.

Pretending to put a brave new face and always be positive does not work. Let's move on and do what you guys do best.....be fun, off topic, on topic, and above all we all like Apple products at times otherwise we would not be there.

#40 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

As I suspected - Apple have started referring to the refurbished units on their store by their generation. Even the iPad 2 is called "iPad 2 (second generation). I'm not sure how many first generation units they'll move - you can pick a 16 Gb wifi + 3g or a 32 Gb wifi only for $10 more than the cost of the base iPad 2. Doesn't make sense to me, but presumably a market for them at that price still.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users