Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: Mc Keeper/antivirus And Imac - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mc Keeper/antivirus And Imac Are they really compatible?

#1 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Computers ...but am no expert .

IMAc Intel 2.9GhZ Icore i5; Ipod Classic 120GB now reconverted to Iphone5. Ipad air. Love cooking and gardening and travelling and animated discussions.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

Been having Mc keeper for a few months now, and there have been some serious problems with updating their antivirus and other functions that they sell with it.

Tho, a real nice little software, all the hyp on their website is a little over the top. Every time I close my computer, I have to reinitialise the whole programme. Meaning the antivirus is no more up to date and shuts down. All the function buttons go back to zero and it takes ages to re do it. A real bummer! :jawdrop:

Their service centre is quite good, so I contacted them and told them about this re- occurring problem. They sent me a new version for free! Will try it and keep you posted.
If you don't ask, there will be no answer!
Curiosity has immense benefits for all!

#2 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The world and the things in it.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

I am fascinated by the Mac AV market.

I don't use any. I understand that one day (maybe soon) that will mean complete catastrophe for me, but I am yet to be convinced that the software vendors have a solution that will protect me from something that has not yet been invented.

Having said that, I don't steal software, I don't email documents in other than PDF format, and I don't use Microsoft software that may transmit macro viruses.

What am I missing?

Should this be a reader's help letter?

Cheers,

P

#3 User is offline   Dave Bullard 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

Nice result, pegi!

As for me, I'm like bitingmidge in that I've never used an anti-viral program on my Macs.

Neal Wise is currently writing a feature for our April issue on the state of Macs/Lion vs viruses, malware & the like. I'm looking forward to reading it, as Neal is with assurance.com.au, a company that not only gives security advice and reviews, but also writes really nasty stuff to do the testing with!

Cheers
Dave

#4 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

As a side note, I am don't use mackeepers virus component, but I am a big fan of there software, it works like a treat.
Come on 20K

Ken

#5 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

IMAc Intel 2.9GhZ Icore i5; Ipod Classic 120GB now reconverted to Iphone5. Ipad air. Love cooking and gardening and travelling and animated discussions.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

Today after the installation it seems to work fine. The 2012 version seems to do fine.

I will be awaiting eagerly on that report by your friend Dave and see what gives.

Peter this is not only an anti virus but does a lot more. Like find duplicates files on your computer and today I liberated about 8.2 GB of useless bits. cleans cache and binaries. Backup is quite good. And I must say their support is number one!

yea, I find it quite neat and user friendly apart from that problem that I had with it to start with. I did have some malware that it picked up the other day. Mac is not really above board. Not as bad as Windows but the odd problem does creep up.

Thanks for the answers you guys.

Cheers
Gigi

View PostKen Gracey, on 16 February 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

As a side note, I am don't use mackeepers virus component, but I am a big fan of there software, it works like a treat.

#6 User is offline   arcanedevice 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

View Postbitingmidge, on 16 February 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

I am fascinated by the Mac AV market.

I've always been fascinated by it as well - I've run Windows products for years without AV and never had a problem or scare at all, so I'm really intrigued by how much these companies market their products as 'compulsory'. Even more so now that Symantec have been caught out by hackers stealing their code and therefore making the product effectively useless.

#7 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

View Postpegi, on 16 February 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

Peter this is not only an anti virus but does a lot more. Like find duplicates files on your computer and today I liberated about 8.2 GB of useless bits. cleans cache and binaries. Backup is quite good. And I must say their support is number one!

I shall investigate. My previous experience with a clean-up application was not as happy as I would have hoped. It found thousands of files of course, but the deletion of them was not a simple thing without actually checking that each one was not some vital system component!

View Postarcanedevice, on 17 February 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

I've always been fascinated by it as well - I've run Windows products for years without AV and never had a problem or scare at all, so I'm really intrigued by how much these companies market their products as 'compulsory'.

And then of course there's the likes of my sister in law, who has just had her PC machine "rebuilt" at a cost of $200.00 by a tech who found "hundreds" of viruses and pieces of malware residing on it, despite here relatively simple (and AV protected) habits. I can't help but wonder if that's just another way of separating people who know no better from their money. I shudder at how much people spend on this sort of "expert" advice!

Cheers,

P

#8 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Pete i an guessing you are referring to Spring Cleaning, which sort sprung clean the lot :P
Come on 20K

Ken

#9 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostKen Gracey, on 17 February 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

Pete i an guessing you are referring to Spring Cleaning, which sort sprung clean the lot :P

That's the one. Mongrel thing. Is this other gear better?

Cheers,

P

#10 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

On day2 of running Mc keeper it is doing a great job. :) :italiamac_sun:

I must say, I don't know where you go or don't go guys so you don't pick up malware or trojan. When I had my PC/Windows some of the emails that I received at times were just laden with malware or viruses. + Stolen idendity! I did also have some rubbish the other day on my MAC.

I would DEFINITELY have some sort of protection on any computer. :)

View Postbitingmidge, on 17 February 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

That's the one. Mongrel thing. Is this other gear better?

Cheers,

P

#11 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

I think spring cleaning caught a lot of people out, it was it was like using Drano, to clear a tickle in your throat.
Come on 20K

Ken

#12 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

Yea, DRAINO is great for the sink! ONLY. McKeeper is actually doing a great job. Never used any of the others. So can't say really......

View PostKen Gracey, on 18 February 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

I think spring cleaning caught a lot of people out, it was it was like using Drano, to clear a tickle in your throat.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users