Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mounting Support For Local Designs

#1 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cinema, soapboxing, writing, reading, coffee.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hi there one and all,

How is everyone? I've been a bit out of action lately but back with a vengeance with some product news to share. We were recently introduced to Ultima: The World's Finest Universal Smartphone Holder/Mount for your car. The project has been 2 years in the making and is currently featured on kickstarter.com - a wonderful site for exposing new and emerging local talent to the market.

This mount is pretty spiffy, I have to say. I don't even drive but I still want one. Maybe I could mount it onto a tram window during the daily commute?

What I like best about the design is that it is A) slim and unobtrusive; well-designed to match the aesthetic of the iPhone; and best of all it's homegrown. Take a look and show your support by sharing it with friends and family.

Who uses a mount in their car for their iOS devices, by the way? Are there other brands that you think are worthy of a mention?

Happy Thursday too if anyone is Melbourne-based or visiting the area this weekend be sure to check out the St Kilda Festival. It'll be my first time going but I hear it's an amazing event.

G

#2 User is offline   Dave Bullard 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

Just got the new The Wallee Headrest to try out in the car as well. The makers, Alon Tamir's StudioProper, are another Aussie (Melbourne) success story based on top design.

Will report back when I've actually hooked it up.

Cheers
Dave

#3 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The world and the things in it.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

I don't want to be a knocker, but I don't understand why anyone would use a car cradle that didn't have at the very least, a charging facility built in.

That's a beautifully sorted bit of design but it's ignoring the fact that to keep the phone charged, a big black cable is going to be trailed across the dashboard and down to the ciggie lighter.

I reckon my Belkin tunebase is about the best thing I've bought in a while. It travels the world with us, pops into the ciggie lighter of any rental car (and the dashboard of our boat) so we can keep the Sygic maps talking to us, or the Navionic ones doing the same thing, and at the same time we can listen to music and talk hands free if we want to make a call.

Oh, I carry a few of those little white adhesive snap clippy things to hold it steady against a foreign dashboard.

Cheers,

P

#4 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

View Postbitingmidge, on 09 February 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

I don't want to be a knocker, but I don't understand why anyone would use a car cradle that didn't have at the very least, a charging facility built in.

Because I want the device closer to eye height (well, higher up the dash), particularly when using maps, and the cig lighter is too low. Hence the need for cables.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#5 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The world and the things in it.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostXenophos, on 12 February 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

Because I want the device closer to eye height (well, higher up the dash), particularly when using maps, and the cig lighter is too low. Hence the need for cables.

Fair call! :)

P

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users