Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple Earnings

#1 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cinema, soapboxing, writing, reading, coffee.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

Morning all,

As I'm sure you're all aware Apple's earnings call for the first quarter of 2012 took place a couple of hours ago.

Here's a recap of what was announced: http://www.macworld....-quarter-43150/

Thoughts on what came out of the conference call? Were you surprised or were the numbers what you thought they might be?

I was hoping for a tiny clue on an Apple TV set, but to no avail. Tim Cook only revealed that the current Apple TV would be added to in the future and referred to it as a "hobby" still.

G

#2 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

I'm pretty happy! And trying to figure out why since I'm not a share holder... I think because I want my chosen platform to do well and the more people using it the more usable certain features become (iMessages and Find My Friends, for e.g.) and the more chance new initiatives like iBooks textbooks have of succeeding. And of course it validates my purchase decisions!

As for the details of the call... kind of surprised but not really. Apple consistently hits it for a six but I did wonder if the Kindle Touch would make a tiny dint. Evidently it has a completely different market. Interesting that they shipped a record number of Macs but Cook says the iPad is cannibalising Mac sales (but more PC sales). That bodes well.

iCloud as a strategy for the coming decade - I'm definitely going to watch this space. I reckon the next iteration of iWork (although I suspect it won't be sold as a suite anymore) will have proper iCloud integration - a la iPhoto/Aperture with Photostream.

Two significant phases ahead of Apple now. Fulfilling the Jobs roadmap without Jobs present (note that iBooks textbooks has Steve's fingerprints all over it, as will the rumoured Apple TV and probably this year's iPhone and iPad) and then in 4 or 5 years starting to roll out a completely post-Jobsian company. Going to be an interesting decade for Apple enthusiasts.

I was reflecting on how, if Apple disappeared in some kind of cataclysm tomorrow, Jobs' legacy would be evident in nearly every other computing device on the market. Every Android device, post-PC tablet and ultraportable is his legacy.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users