Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slow Boot Up With Lion Looking for utility software to help out

#1 User is offline   vladimir 

• Group: Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

Hi everyone,

Since i've upgraded my iMac from Snow Leopard to Lion, the computer takes a lot longer to boot up. Once i log in, no issue, everything works as good as or better (faster) then before. However, it is very slow to boot up, displaying the white screen with apple logo and little circular time for a few minutes. I am guessing that there is some sort of conflict with perhaps incompatible software, but how do i find out what is causing the problem? I have downloaded "Mac Cleanse" from AppStore and it discovered that i had a "broken" version of Total Finder, which it removed from the system. This has only marginally improved the boot up time, though i haven't sat here with a stop watch. Is there another software/utility that can analyse the system better and find out/fix the issue? Or did i make a mistake altogether upgrading to Lion? My system is Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD.

Thanks,

Vlad

#2 User is offline   GraphicX 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Photography, Fishing, anything Tech & Mac related !!

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:19 AM

this is potentially way off but late last year in the macworld magazine they had a tutorial on installing an ssd to a macbook pro. during the process of backing up the old hdd & then copying it back to the ssd they experience slow boot times due to issues with 'boot caches'. there was a utility they used to clear these old boot caches & correct it but i can't remember what it was called (sorry not at home to get the mag out & check for you).

as i said it could be way off but it does sound very similar to the issue you're experiencing with your load time.

#3 User is offline   vladimir 

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Through a lot of online research i found a solution to this problem and it was a lot simpler then i thought. I had to go into Settings and "tell" iMac to use the HDD to boot up. Apparently, sometimes iMacs get confused if you're upgrading to Lion and you have your Time Machine drive connected. In my case, iMac was "forever" trying to boot up from the backup drive, not the HDD.

It now boots as i always experienced under Snow Leopard - quick !

Vlad

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users