• Group: Members
  • Interests:My Mac
    Collecting Watches
    Custom built engines
    Documentaries of the universe
    Call of Duty
    Sci Fi movies

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

As of not so late ago i purchased a "my escape" Navman 5" screen for Jane, well lets just say she has my old one and i'm using this for a awhile., anyway about 5 or so years when i picked up my older one you cannot run the software to retrieve maps run Nav desk on a Mac unless you got windows and Parreles and so on.

It just :censor: me off that by now they would have came up with something to help out Mac users that use these products like myself to be able to use my macs software to engage with my Navmam, and yes, i tried Garmin,Tom Tom as well butt to me they don't cut the grade so to speak, connecting to the Mac is good thing with Garmi,TOM TOM but i find NAVMAN MUCH BETTER.

You know like the other day i picked a new receiver, pioneer are smashing the advertising of these things, tags like, airplay, iPad docking, stream music from your Mac to your deck the whole advertising theme of the deck they have used nearly every item from apples mobile and pads market and connectivity to it, well I opened my box and to my surprise and wadda ya no, all the Fricken disks are all for windows from XP,Vista,Windows 7 basted PC's all the easy set up guides are on them, firmware connectivity,basically everything you need to set it up and some i am sure,,,,,,,,,,,and I know you can get around some things, you do get a book to help, which is not that organised to be honest [ to many refer to this page then back and foreword and on and on and on.

Sorry for the winge, It's just annoyed me thats all.
iMac 27-inch Late 2012 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7....3tb time capsule..128gig 4g wifi iPad Air...iPhone5...3rd gen Apple tv...iPod

#2 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:42 AM

I hear you loud and clear Jim.

My dream is one day Macs dominate everywhere including the business world.

And then there will be no more stupid PC installation disks!
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#3 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:16 AM

Hence why I only buy Tom Tom, I bought a 5 inch Go Live tom tom last week, and the thing is BRILLIANT, and thats not over stating how good it is, it has its own neat little app, that appears in the menu bar to update it.

But I did feel some of your frustration, about 4 weeks ago, when i bought a new modem, and yes in this day and age, it came with PC disks, which really stunned me, so i guess being a mac user, is still seen as rare in this day and age.
Come on 20K

Ken

#4 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

Wait until you try and use the ATO's e-Tax program. :italiamac_bottom:
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#5 User is offline   Jim 

• Cruizin
  • PipPipPip
    Collecting Watches
    Custom built engines
    Call of Duty
    Sci Fi movies

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

View PostBrianB, on 06 January 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

I hear you loud and clear Jim.

My dream is one day Macs dominate everywhere including the business world.

And then there will be no more stupid PC installation disks!

Pioneer even go as far as having Apps available for the iPad/IPhone to use in the home environment to use in conjunction with their equipment, I use my 3gs to airplay music to the amplifier without even having to go threw iTunes on the mac or any other app, just IOS5 on the phone, it is simply brilliant, I just can't see why you would do an half assed job getting a cop out with the install disks, its not like Apple is that far off mainstream that they couldn't at least include it as well.

View PostKen Gracey, on 06 January 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

Hence why I only buy Tom Tom, I bought a 5 inch Go Live tom tom last week, and the thing is BRILLIANT, and thats not over stating how good it is, it has its own neat little app, that appears in the menu bar to update it.

But I did feel some of your frustration, about 4 weeks ago, when i bought a new modem, and yes in this day and age, it came with PC disks, which really stunned me, so i guess being a mac user, is still seen as rare in this day and age.

I was able to test bed the Tom TOM live 5" series for a couple of days prior to a purchase and i will admit Tom Tom has far more attractable features than most nav devices, the magnetic car mount is such a cool idea and live traffic updates were far quicker than Navman at the time, but you would expect that if you had to fork out the subscription fee every year, the app for the mac is a winner for sure, it just works every time, however i went with what i knew, not only that but Tom Tom couldn't even find my home address, so that was a bit of a put off, so anyway, 3 years map updates 2 years warranty, free traffic updates an a cash back return for my old Navigator all pivots on having frickin Windows, I don't know, its like my reply to Bry ,its not like Apple is that far out of mainstream there wouldn't be a profitable market wanting for it.

I will have to cruze Ebay for for a clapped out windows machine to hook the Navigator up to for now, I can tell you this much i won't be forking out for parallels to run windows on my Mac, nothing wrong with parallels its the windows part that :censor: me.
iMac 27-inch Late 2012 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7....3tb time capsule..128gig 4g wifi iPad Air...iPhone5...3rd gen Apple tv...iPod

#6 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

Yeah i am loving the Tom Tom jim, I really am, the voice commands are really cool, its just like using siri ( just not as refined), but i am sure it will get there, the live traffic is not bad 29.00 per year, so less than a cup of coffee a month, to get home and hour early, is a real bonus.
Come on 20K

Ken

#7 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

I simply bought the TomTom app.

#8 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

The Tom Tom app, is ok for the casual user, but for somebody like myself who drives some days up to 700 Kim's, you really can't beat something that, stuck to your window, that talks to you in the back ground, without interrupting a phone conversation.
Come on 20K

Ken

#9 User is offline   arcanedevice 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

View PostDylstra, on 06 January 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

Wait until you try and use the ATO's e-Tax program. :italiamac_bottom:

Ha ha. I'm actually on a user panel for the ATO and the question that comes up the most in our group is when the Mac version will be available.

Sadly we get the usual brush off from them, even when the question is about what annoys you the most...

#10 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

Every year after completing my tax return the program offers an opportunity to provide feedback.

And boy, do I provide feedback.

#11 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:40 AM

Ahh the joys of having simple tax return, even with MYOB, doing my BASS, and payroll, and being able to place it all on a CD for my accountant, I still have to pay him 6k plus to lodge it. Maybe they could bring e tax out for business, and save me a small fortune :D
Come on 20K

Ken

#12 User is offline   Jim 

• Cruizin
  • PipPipPip
    Collecting Watches
    Custom built engines
    Call of Duty
    Sci Fi movies

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

Kind of a small fix thou, found a clunker to help with my navigator, Toshiba m300 protege with winXp for a price of a free lunch(fish and chips) when I am not using it for map downloads it will come in handy as a door stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users