Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: Syncing Ios Devices With Two Different Pc's - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Syncing Ios Devices With Two Different Pc's Syncing my work calender with my home iPad

#1 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

Just wanted to feedback a tip, which might be obvious to others, but wasn't obvious at first to me.

I have iPhone and iPad which sync with my home Mac as that is where all my stuff is (music, photos etc...). But, I use both devices at work, and most importantly, I need to sync the calenders with my work Windows XP based Outlook calender.

When you connect the iOS device at work you get the message saying this device is synced with another version of iTunes, do you want to cancel, or wipe it! You certainly don't want to do the later, so click cancel.

Then in the device options in iTunes uncheck all the sync options except 'Sync calender with' and select 'Outlook' in the drop down box. You can then press 'Sync' and it will sync your iOS calender with the Outlook calender, without effecting anything else on the device. It works for contacts also.

The initial warning message no longer appears for my iPhone, but annoyingly continues to appear for the iPad for some reason.

If anyone knows another way of syncing a Mac-based iOS device with Windows Outlook, share it, as work may block my access to iTunes one day.

#2 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests: Apple Inc.
    Sony
    Nintendo
    Pixar
    Star Wars
    Superman
    Reading
    Food - Cooking
    Photography
    Design
    Great Coffee

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

You can sync your Microsoft, email, calendar and reminders wirelessly using Microsoft exchange. Just go into settings on your iOS device click on Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Click on add account then click on exchange, enter your details and all your Microsoft Calenders, Mail, etc will be there

jz
jz
"It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" - Steve Jobs

#3 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostJamieZ, on 04 January 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

You can sync your Microsoft, email, calendar and reminders wirelessly using Microsoft exchange. Just go into settings on your iOS device click on Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Click on add account then click on exchange, enter your details and all your Microsoft Calenders, Mail, etc will be there

jz

Thanks, I tried that but ran into some missing info I dont know under 'Server'. This is a govt-based email, is there somewhere in Outlook I can look where it will tell me what the correct server details are? the email address is myname@nt.gov.au

I suspect the govt server security will block me somewhere here, but I'll give it a go if i can have a stab at the server details.

#4 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests: Apple Inc.
    Sony
    Nintendo
    Pixar
    Star Wars
    Superman
    Reading
    Food - Cooking
    Photography
    Design
    Great Coffee

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

You'll have to talk to your IT guy

jz
jz
"It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" - Steve Jobs

#5 User is offline   arcanedevice 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

View PostVulch, on 05 January 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

is there somewhere in Outlook I can look where it will tell me what the correct server details are?

As JZ said, best to ask your IT guys to avoid breaching any protocol - govt can be strict on that - but you could also try looking at the settings on your Outlook client to see what server is being used. To do this, from your Inbox, click on Tools > Account Settings then highlight your email address and click Change. What should appear is the the Exchange server that is providing your email services.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users