Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Social Media Gone Awry In Business

#1 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cinema, soapboxing, writing, reading, coffee.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

Just posted a feature on the site this morning, about handling social media stuff-ups at work. Interesting topic and an all-too-often occurrence.

This guide outlines what to do and how best to respond when mistakes are made – pretty handy, in my opinion...

Which brings me to my daily ponderance: What are your experiences with social media in business? I ask this from a business and consumer's point of view.

Do you use social media at work, for example? What company Facebook pages do you like? Favourite tweet?

G

#2 User is offline   arcanedevice 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

Hi Grace

There's a slight error in your link - you've got the http:// listed twice. Apart from that, it's a great article even though I'm strongly against the use of social media for the workplace.

#3 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Cinema, soapboxing, writing, reading, coffee.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

Oh thanks! Just edited this now.

Why are you so against social media in business? Seems to be unavoidable these days, to make any kind of impact...

#4 User is offline   arcanedevice 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

Hi Grace

I could spend hours explaining everything that is wrong with social media, but in a very short answer it is the control (which is different to security / privacy) of my own information that I dislike/

View Postgracer, on 10 November 2011 - 07:33 PM, said:

Seems to be unavoidable these days, to make any kind of impact...

It may be unavoidable, but it still needs to be targetted. It's interesting that you mention making an impact - a lot of research shows that most people just view it as spam / advertising so I'd suggest that it isn't having the impact that people think it does.

I know from a discussion I had on the weekend about this that people do tend to change their opinion of organisations that try to 'use' social media to engage with customers.

#5 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

After seeing my teenage daughters going through Facey, and a host of others i have basically kept away from this form of media.

Work colleagues have wanted in the past to add me to their pages but i decline. I even declined my father in law for sometime!

Now there is Linkedin, it's a way of other work related people to keep in touch, still don't like it but there seems to be some ground swell happening of late on this site,

so all in all, don't like the idea of this type of comm's.

Much prefer a phone call any day.....
"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

#6 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

I only maintain my Facebook account to be controversial and progressive. Twitter is my real social media. (I'm also controversial and progressive there, but it's more diluted with regular stuff. And Twitter is more controversial and progressive than FB anyway, so really it's hardly noticeable.)
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#7 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

I do some training on using social media in business. A couple of anecdotes.

1. I know of one business that sees 50% of their online sales come from their Facebook Page which has e-commerce functionality added. Not too shabby.
2. North West Airlines (I think) in the US became aware of a disgruntled twitterer on one of their flights. Because they were monitoring Twitter they sent staff to meet him at the arrivals gate (with a big sign with his name on it), apologised profusely and offered him free flights. His "I hate NWA" tweets turned into "NWA is the best ever" tweets.
3. A colleague has rustled up training opportunities through Linked In.

It's not for all businesses, but business people have to deal with it.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#8 User is offline   Greumach 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:All things mac, Celtic music and culture, Bible study, Bicycle Riding and the great outdoors.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

I don't like Facebook, a while back I deleted everything. Later on I accidentally entered by old password and guess what, everything was still there!! every post, every photo, every "friend"!!

So recently I tried just having a business page, but it seems impossible to do that without creating a normal account first, but then log on as a "page". Still working it through it.
Graham in Tassie

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users