Macworld Forums: Converting From Pc To Mac - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Converting From Pc To Mac Using External HD

#1 User is offline   Mabel 

• Group: Members

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

I want to move all files on my PC desktop to a new Macbook Pro using an external hard drive. Do I need an external HD specific for Macs or will any one do? Will I be able to move my Outlook Express address book and emails into Mac Mail? Is there anything else I need to consider?

#2 User is offline   arcanedevice 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

Hi Mabel
Most external drives now are fine for Macs but you will probably need to format it first using Disk Utility as they are usually formatted for NTFS which Macs can't natively read.
Alternatively if it is a brand new Mac you can use the Migration Assistant without the need for an external drive. This is probably the better option for a first time user because it will walk you through everything you want to transfer, including your contacts and emails etc.

#3 User is offline   Mabel 

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

Thank you. If I want to use the external HD as a back up and only transfer SOME of my files from PC to Mac, can I do that? ie, can I use the Migration Assistant to transfer selected files, and then transfer all the files from PC to HD for backup? Can a baby boomer with limited technical expertise manage this????

#4 User is offline   arcanedevice 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

Migration Assistant lets you choose what to transfer, so you can do everything, or just a few selected things. It is a very simple process - just follow the prompts.
An external HD will be great for backing up as well, just use Time Machine. You can learn more about them both with this guide http://www.apple.com...port/switch101/ as well as the 'learn the basics' video on the Mac page of the Apple site.
Or just keep asking your questions here - the friendly folk are more than happy to help you make the most of your mac...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users