Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Top Mates Will Get You Out Of Anything

#1 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cinema, soapboxing, writing, reading, coffee.

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:20 AM

Hip-happy Monday.

Yup, the coffee JUST kicked in.

I wanted to share some news of the quirk variety with you this morning...

Pepsi Max have just launched an app for 'Aussie blokes' to spend more time with their mates with a chance to net themselves $30,000.

Every man's dream, right?

To get started, you need a Facebook account and the app, called Top Mates (you can download here).

Here's how it works: Top Mates actually creates a fake excuse to disguise where you are and what you're doing. And your alibi is backed up with evidence in the form of pictures and SFX.

Your sneaky little excuse is then automatically synced to your mates' own device – so if anyone asks if you really were 'stuck saving a near-dead cat from an-about-to-fall tree' your friends know to back you up.

Plus, the more you lie, the more you get. Checking-in with your mates will unlock new levels and bonus content. The download itself puts you in the running to win the 30K.

Okay, Pepsi Max, props for coming up with something entirely left-of-centre. I have one gripe, however.

What about women needing to escape the tyranny of their own relationships? Don't we also work and need a break from time to time?

The app was launched on the back of research that found seven out of 10 Australian men want to spend more time with their mates but are plagued by work and home commitments.

Here's my own conducive theory: Men are not entirely different to women. If men are feeling this way, I bet there are some female counterparts who can sympathise.

Wondering if I can still be eligible for the moolah if I download the app in protest of its gender-demographic audience?

What do you guys think? Will you get on board and fib to win?

Love to know your thoughts!

G

#2 User is offline   JamieD 

• (geekus cynicus extremis)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I geek therefore I am!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

Sometimes I think that women need it more than men do. Being a man it is almost an "expectation" that we can do this, but there is no such luxury for women.

#3 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Cinema, soapboxing, writing, reading, coffee.

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:37 AM

Yes and also if your relationship is that bad that you need to create a network of lies, incriminating everyone around you wouldn't a break up be the better, less technological option?

I'd probably download it for the novelty factor, perhaps that's Pepsi's intention behind it?

#4 User is offline   JamieD 

• (geekus cynicus extremis)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I geek therefore I am!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

I hope it's just for novelty factor as if I man can't be "man" enough to be honest with his partner then he really doesn't deserve to have one!

#5 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

What's that old saying men are from mars and woman are from Venus :P
Come on 20K

Ken

#6 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

I must be one of the 3 in 10. I had the good fortune to marry someone I still like being with more than anyone else after 16 years. And if either of us want to hook up with friends we don't need to make a lame excuse!
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#7 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

Spot on Alex, my wife's friends are my friends, and visa versa, and I will go just a smidgen better than you, it's my 31st wedding anniversary tomorrow ( yeah I know you get less for murder) and we have been together 36 years, exactly 2 days after our anniversary :D

So I guess the app is not for me either :italiamac_redface:
Come on 20K

Ken

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users