Macworld Forums: Garageband Interface Problem - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Garageband Interface Problem

#1 User is offline   tommyrich 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:52 AM

I have my accoustic electric guitar hooked up to my Mac desktop. Garageband Version 6.0.4(427.84) is running. The problem is that the battery (9 Volt) in my guitar pick-up drains to (0 Volts) in about 3 hours. Is there a setting problem for the input jack that I haven't configured properly? I have placed a fully charged battery in my guitar and left it overnight and the charge remains the same, so there is not a shorting problem on the pickup. Hopefully someone may be able to help. Thanks for your efforts.

#2 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:53 AM

Tommy, I am just trying to come to grips with your question, i am not a user of garage band, or a guitar , but when you say you battery drains within 3 hours, is the guitar plugged in during this , versus your second test were that battery stayed charged. On the second test was the guitar still plugged into your mac ?

Because it was unplugged, i would say you have found your answer, the plug i am guessing your guitar is plugged into will be a USB port, which will constantly check back and forward, multiple times per second, to make sure what ever devise is plugged in, is actually communicating with that port, Hence each time it does this, it steals a small about of battery power away from your guitars battery. My guess would be after a few hours, your battery will go flat, just like any other type of device AKA, wireless Mice, and keyboard, over a period of weeks.
Come on 20K

Ken

#3 User is offline   tommyrich 

• Group: Members

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:54 AM

View PostKen Gracey, on 16 September 2011 - 07:53 PM, said:

Tommy, I am just trying to come to grips with your question, i am not a user of garage band, or a guitar , but when you say you battery drains within 3 hours, is the guitar plugged in during this , versus your second test were that battery stayed charged. On the second test was the guitar still plugged into your mac ?

Because it was unplugged, i would say you have found your answer, the plug i am guessing your guitar is plugged into will be a USB port, which will constantly check back and forward, multiple times per second, to make sure what ever devise is plugged in, is actually communicating with that port, Hence each time it does this, it steals a small about of battery power away from your guitars battery. My guess would be after a few hours, your battery will go flat, just like any other type of device AKA, wireless Mice, and keyboard, over a period of weeks.

Thanks for your reply to my post Ken. The only time the battery discharges is when it is plugged into the audio input port on the back of my desktop, (not an USB port). During the second test the guitar was not plugged in.

#4 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

After sleeping on this for a while, i am not really too sure how the actual app, could effect the charge on the guitar.

I am wondering if the actual discharge is being caused, by the mac hardware its self, drawing power away from the guitar ? its sounds a lot more fathomable than a piece of software, have you checked with the guitar manufacturer, if they have had this problem come over there desk before.

Being an electric guitar, you may find there might be a Firmware update for it, that could solve the problem.
Come on 20K

Ken

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users