• You cannot reply to this topic

Media Event

#1 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

Apple will be holding a media event on September 8, which basically means they are launching something new and exciting, for us to spend our hard earned cash on.

Now an educated guess would say it's going to be the iPhone 5, but does anybody think there may be something else up apples sleeve, maybe 2 new iPhones ? Or a bunch of updated iPods?

What's everybody hoping and wishing for !
Come on 20K

Ken

#2 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:33 PM

Well Ken, I suppose I have just about everything Mac I want, but you know as much as I want to say no to a new iPhone 5 I have already convinced Lisa that since she & "Toileted" her's it might as well be handed down to our youngest daughter (the one that has the MBP and doesn't smash electrical equipment).So in saying all that it's more than likely I will end up with a new i5 in September.
"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

#3 User is offline   JamieD 

• (geekus cynicus extremis)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I geek therefore I am!

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:25 AM

iPhone 5 and the new iPod Pico (which I suspect will be a redesigned iPod shuffle - think some kind of hybrid of the current shuffle and nano)

Oh, and the release of iOS 5 and iTunes 10.5

#4 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:16 AM

Once again I am getting really excited. I can't help myself...:)

Now, even though I think the iPhone 5 won't be the biggest jump from the 4, I still want it. But being stuck right in the middle of a contract with Telstra, it probably won't happen. I wonder if they will upgrade me...hmm I'll have to wait and see.

Also looking forward to iOS 5.

Also new iPods of course.

The maybes or pipe dreams:

Perhaps a new Magic Mouse to be released???

Apple TV set.. Yes a real Apple TV

iPad 3.. Ha ha just kidding...

Um... Apple Toaster, Fridge and Microwave oven!
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#5 User is offline   rachp 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

I'm sure it will be an iPhone 5 but I hope they ship immediately. My partner is complaining her 3GS is acting up and her plan ran out last month so she can upgrade and I will give her my iPhone 4 and I get the new one :) she's not a geek like me and we've been doing it since the first iphone so I always get the new one hehehe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

Now Rach, as a geek head, why are you not at the apple store in southland ?
Come on 20K

Ken

#7 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

Isn't there an iPod event every September? I'd expect iPhone 5 and a bunch of new iPods. And, of course, iOS 5.

Just in time. I'm nearly out of contract with 3 and want to move to Telstra so may just bite the bullet and pay a small contract cancellation fee to do it early. Phone is becoming more important for work and 3 doesn't cut it where I am.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#8 User is offline   Jim 

• Cruizin
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:My Mac
    Collecting Watches
    Custom built engines
    Documentaries of the universe
    Call of Duty
    Sci Fi movies

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:01 AM

View PostBrianB, on 13 August 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

Apple TV set.. Yes a real Apple TV

I have been so keen to see this from Apple, I tend to agree thou, pipe dream, but doesn't stop me wishing for it, just wish they would get onto it sooner the later.

View PostXenophos, on 13 August 2011 - 08:26 PM, said:

Isn't there an iPod event every September? I'd expect iPhone 5 and a bunch of new iPods. And, of course, iOS 5.

Just in time. I'm nearly out of contract with 3 and want to move to Telstra so may just bite the bullet and pay a small contract cancellation fee to do it early. Phone is becoming more important for work and 3 doesn't cut it where I am.

I am out of contract in october with Three, release of iPhone 5 would be the perfect to start for me with a better carrier, I am over it with Three.

So Iphone 5 is first on the wish list with iOS 5 at least.
iMac 27-inch Late 2012 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7....3tb time capsule..128gig 4g wifi iPad Air...iPhone5...3rd gen Apple tv...iPod

#9 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:45 AM

Telstra briefly flirted with being competitive last year, but this year, unfortunately, it looks like going back to the ol' Telstra.
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#10 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

I have been with Telstra for more years than i would like to admit too, but this year when the iPhone 5 hits, I will buy mine out right. I refuse to be tied to another rotten telstra contract, after I replaced my wifes phone 2 weeks ago, ( samsung) and the phone lasted 3 days, when i took it back they said it needed to be sent back, for repair :angry: I said what a 3 day old Phone you have got to be #@$#@# ME !!! so i tried for option #2 cancel the 3 day old contract, hand back the phone and go to Optus, sure you can do that but you have to pay $1500 to get out of the contract.. even more :angry: I pulled my credit card out to pay the contract out, and the wife managed to talk me out of paying off EVERY phone I had with the big T, which was somewhere is the facility of 6k. So back to the subject at hand I want an iPhone 5, and NO Telstra will never get me on another Contact as long as i LIVE !!!! End of rant :P
Come on 20K

Ken

#11 User is offline   rachp 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

View PostKen Gracey, on 13 August 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

Now Rach, as a geek head, why are you not at the apple store in southland ?

I did think about it. A friend that works at Southland said the line was huge but everyone sounded happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:48 PM

[quote name='Ken Gracey' date='14 August 2011 - 10:06 AM' timestamp='1313280374' post='71564']<br />I have been with Telstra for more years than i would like to admit too, but this year when the iPhone 5 hits, I will buy mine out right. [quote]

I seem to remember saying this before, the best option is to buy the handset outright the "plan" is to take your cash, when will people wake up to this fact if marketing spin?
"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

#13 User is offline   Jim 

• Cruizin
  • PipPipPip
    Collecting Watches
    Custom built engines
    Call of Duty
    Sci Fi movies

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

View PostKen Gracey, on 14 August 2011 - 11:06 AM, said:

I have been with Telstra for more years than i would like to admit too, but this year when the iPhone 5 hits, I will buy mine out right. I refuse to be tied to another rotten telstra contract, after I replaced my wifes phone 2 weeks ago, ( samsung) and the phone lasted 3 days, when i took it back they said it needed to be sent back, for repair :angry: I said what a 3 day old Phone you have got to be #@$#@# ME !!! so i tried for option #2 cancel the 3 day old contract, hand back the phone and go to Optus, sure you can do that but you have to pay $1500 to get out of the contract.. even more :angry: I pulled my credit card out to pay the contract out, and the wife managed to talk me out of paying off EVERY phone I had with the big T, which was somewhere is the facility of 6k. So back to the subject at hand I want an iPhone 5, and NO Telstra will never get me on another Contact as long as i LIVE !!!! End of rant :P

We are going to look at some of the big players this time and Telstra was going to be one of them, however if it's going to end up like that and the debacle it was for the Internet and land line I will give it a wide birth.

Three wasn't to bad in the beginning, however it seems to be getting worse with connection dropouts and so on. Last month Jane went into one of these FM radio compitions, like most she had to listen to the radio for a couple hours per day and everyday for a month, she has about 2gig download per month, anyway to cut a long story short our bill cycle is $60 per month, a bill came from three $1200 bucks last month, In hindsight yes it was her fault and fair dinkum playing the radio on your phone rips your limits to pieces real quick and a lesson learned, the part that was difficult was trying to get three to help us find what was doing it , as the wife was clueless at the time and to say the least I had the fricken sh@"ts about it all.

Anyway with no help from three, bad connections and a couple of palm offs with warranty issues early in the piece, we are going to move on.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iMac 27-inch Late 2012 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7....3tb time capsule..128gig 4g wifi iPad Air...iPhone5...3rd gen Apple tv...iPod

#14 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:36 AM

Honestly Jim,

I will never sign up on a telco contract ever again, no matter who its with, you are a mile in front, simply paying full price for the phone on your credit card, paying the same amount back each month, as the repayment option the telco's are going to charge you anyway , which is usually about $25.00 to 30 bucks, and be free of the mongrels and can move to any provider you like at the drop of a hat, plus getting better download limits, and cheaper calls, because you own the handset.
Come on 20K

Ken

#15 User is offline   Mychael 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Flying, sailing, Classic cars. Playing with computers (Mac/PC). iphone fan & now ipad owner.

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

Mentioned this in another post but anyway. ios5 of course and as my phone contract runs out later in the yr hoping for an iphone5 but with a larger screen. If not then I'll keep my 3gs which is still working well and pristine clean.

Don't know if many of you follow the whirlpool forums but there is a lot of chat about poor Optus service. Now I've been with Optus for many yrs and found them acceptable without being remarkable in their coverage but lately they really seem to have gone down the toilet.

I bought myself a Telstra prepaid card and though it's tedious whenever I see no/poor signal with my Optus carrier I swap sims and so far every time the improvement has been 100%. Goes from 2 bars no 3g to full bars and 3g.

Even if it means keeping my 3gs I'll be porting over to Telstra just for the coverage.

So long as my current phone keeps working reliably and copes with ios5 then I'm under no pressure to upgrade. In fact if it starts to get wonky after only 2 yrs I'd be pretty unhappy.

#16 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

View PostMychael, on 15 August 2011 - 11:16 AM, said:

Mentioned this in another post but anyway. ios5 of course and as my phone contract runs out later in the yr hoping for an iphone5 but with a larger screen. If not then I'll keep my 3gs which is still working well and pristine clean.

Don't know if many of you follow the whirlpool forums but there is a lot of chat about poor Optus service. Now I've been with Optus for many yrs and found them acceptable without being remarkable in their coverage but lately they really seem to have gone down the toilet.

I bought myself a Telstra prepaid card and though it's tedious whenever I see no/poor signal with my Optus carrier I swap sims and so far every time the improvement has been 100%. Goes from 2 bars no 3g to full bars and 3g.

Even if it means keeping my 3gs I'll be porting over to Telstra just for the coverage.

So long as my current phone keeps working reliably and copes with ios5 then I'm under no pressure to upgrade. In fact if it starts to get wonky after only 2 yrs I'd be pretty unhappy.

Mychael, I was with optus for 2 years when i had my iPhone 3G, and they sucked.... their 3G coverage was pathetic and whenever i needed the coverage, i never had it.

I switched to Telstra last year when the iPhone 4 came out and their coverage is awesome. I will never go back to any other telco after experiencing Telstras amazing coverage.
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#17 User is offline   Jim 

• Cruizin
  • PipPipPip
    Collecting Watches
    Custom built engines
    Call of Duty
    Sci Fi movies

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

View PostKen Gracey, on 15 August 2011 - 09:36 AM, said:

Honestly Jim,

I will never sign up on a telco contract ever again, no matter who its with, you are a mile in front, simply paying full price for the phone on your credit card, paying the same amount back each month, as the repayment option the telco's are going to charge you anyway , which is usually about $25.00 to 30 bucks, and be free of the mongrels and can move to any provider you like at the drop of a hat, plus getting better download limits, and cheaper calls, because you own the handset.

O dear, crunched the numbers last night, play today pay tomorrow will be thrown out the window come October.

We will play with a couple of telcos after the contract is up I think...6 years with three, gotta get with the program and see what else is for offer...performance issues and so on.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users