Macworld Forums: The end of MobileMe - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The end of MobileMe Will iCloud replace all of the functionality of MobileMe

#1 User is offline   pisapis 

• Group: Members

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

iCloud looks lovely. I have been a subscriber to the Apple "cloud" since inception and previous changes to the services makes be worry about what will be replaced and what will be discarded. For instance, I haven't seen a reference to what will happen to domain hosting or home page hosting after June 2012. Has anybody else seen anything about that?

#2 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

I would be looking for another web page solution. Apple have dropped iWeb - it's legacy software now. No official word, it's just happened.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#3 User is offline   pisapis 

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

Thanks Xenophos. I will have to look for another hosting solution - such a shame. I did/do enjoy iWeb too.

#4 User is offline   Greumach 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:All things mac, Celtic music and culture, Bible study, Bicycle Riding and the great outdoors.

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

View Postpisapis, on 07 June 2011 - 02:49 PM, said:

Thanks Xenophos. I will have to look for another hosting solution - such a shame. I did/do enjoy iWeb too.

Dropped iWeb??? Oh no!! it's been the only way I've been able to successfully create and maintain a website! Thats terrible news.
Graham in Tassie

#5 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

I may have spoken a little too soon - they just put through a minor update. But it didn't have any updates in the last iLife release - don't remember the one before that. And it's not available on the Mac App Store - which pretty much means it's only a legacy iLife product now. I doubt we'll see any more boxed software products coming out of Apple so my money is on it being dead.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#6 User is offline   Tim Grey 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

Hmmm - this really does seem like a weird move on Apple's behalf. Getting rid of a service altogether is a pretty surprising decision from a company that wants to be able to provide something for every part of your life...

But, Apple appears to be doing this, and posted a FAQ about iWeb and iDisk closing up shop in 2012. They'll keep operating until then, but Apple's suggesting that people begin migrating their iWeb stuff before then – the company's posted an article about how to do that here

Given the detail about how to move to another web hosting service, I'd imagine Apple's not planning on replacing iWeb with anything else...

Odd.

#7 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

So what's going to happen with all the files on iDisk? Are they going to migrate over to cloud Tim? I have a heap of stuff on iDisk, was using it regularly, still are, 2012 is just going to wipe out everything on the servers, surely not.....
"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

#8 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

I would say they will just shut the server down Mick, and between now and then you better have it backed up some place else.
Come on 20K

Ken

#9 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

My thinking is that it should all be migrated to Documents in the Cloud. But who knows. I'm sure Apple will email everyone letting them know what to do with their files before they shut down the servers.
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#10 User is offline   Tim Grey 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

I don't think they're going to go to Documents in iCloud... It's my understanding that Apple programs - your iLife suite, for example - will automatically back up to iCloud. But there hasn't really been word of a Dropbox-style locker for miscellaneous files. Apple's been concentrating on iCloud 'just working' which I think means that you don't have to think about its existence whatsoever. Rather, your stuff will just happen to be on any computer/device you happen to be on.

In any case, Apple's own supports site is indeed saying that iDisk will be dumped and deleted on June 30, 2012. Its suggesting that you back-up all your iDisk stuff on this here tutorial...

At this stage, it's smelling like a bit of a cynical attempt to encourage you to use Apple software over other programs - ie, your Pages documents will be backed up but your word files won't....

Let's hope this isn't the case.

#11 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

My understanding is there'll be an api for devs, so it's really up to them to make use of iCloud - but I could be wrong and I have no doubt your cynicism is justified. All the same, I think it's a savvy move on Apple's part, it's quite unique - is anyone else doing anything like it? And with services like Dropbox and all the other cloud storage options, they're probably figuring they just can't compete meaningfully.

#12 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

View PostTim Grey, on 19 July 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

I don't think they're going to go to Documents in iCloud... It's my understanding that Apple programs - your iLife suite, for example - will automatically back up to iCloud. But there hasn't really been word of a Dropbox-style locker for miscellaneous files. Apple's been concentrating on iCloud 'just working' which I think means that you don't have to think about its existence whatsoever. Rather, your stuff will just happen to be on any computer/device you happen to be on.

In any case, Apple's own supports site is indeed saying that iDisk will be dumped and deleted on June 30, 2012. Its suggesting that you back-up all your iDisk stuff on this here tutorial...

At this stage, it's smelling like a bit of a cynical attempt to encourage you to use Apple software over other programs - ie, your Pages documents will be backed up but your word files won't....

Let's hope this isn't the case.

This was my understanding of Documents in the cloud as well Tim. But I brought this up in another thread and some of the guys said I was wrong and that it will work like Dropbox.

Personally I agree with you as during Steve Jobs keynote there was no mention of it working like Dropbox. There was just mention of it backing up your pages, keynote and numbers documents.
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#13 User is offline   Tim Grey 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

View PostBrianB, on 19 July 2011 - 09:46 PM, said:

This was my understanding of Documents in the cloud as well Tim. But I brought this up in another thread and some of the guys said I was wrong and that it will work like Dropbox.

Personally I agree with you as during Steve Jobs keynote there was no mention of it working like Dropbox. There was just mention of it backing up your pages, keynote and numbers documents.

Yeah, Brian, and that support document only seems to lend weight to that point of view. There's nothing about how you'll be able to export your documents to a new service, only that you should back up your stinkin' documents because they can't stay there...

#14 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

View PostTim Grey, on 20 July 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

<br />Yeah, Brian, and that support document only seems to lend weight to that point of view. There's nothing about how you'll be able to export your documents to a new service, only that you should back up your stinkin' documents because they can't stay there...<br />

The thing that bugs me is the cost, not only in time and financial aspect of purchasing MM to utilize the cloud, I've paid to have my files put there, now with the flick of the switch, they will be gone. Ok I have copies, it's not the point though,

being the miserable person that I am, I growled at Telstra today for hitting me with two charges to relocate our telephone service, one for telephone one for ADSL, had a whinge and they relented and I saved $50.00, now if I rang Apple, would they refund........ Doubt it.......you just have to suck it up and go with the flow.....
"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

#15 User is offline   Tim Grey 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

View Postklytia, on 20 July 2011 - 06:08 PM, said:

The thing that bugs me is the cost, not only in time and financial aspect of purchasing MM to utilize the cloud, I've paid to have my files put there, now with the flick of the switch, they will be gone. Ok I have copies, it's not the point though,

being the miserable person that I am, I growled at Telstra today for hitting me with two charges to relocate our telephone service, one for telephone one for ADSL, had a whinge and they relented and I saved $50.00, now if I rang Apple, would they refund........ Doubt it.......you just have to suck it up and go with the flow.....

That's a very good point. Just goes to show that storing stuff on the cloud isn't as secure or permanent as companies would have you believe. All these services will become obsolete at some point (as we've seen with MM), and you'll just have to migrate again...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users