• You cannot reply to this topic

Chromebook

#1 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:14 PM

This is a very interesting concept launched by Google. Perhaps this is the future of computing.

Pity about the name ' Chromebook'. The 'book' part sounds very familiar.

Article here
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#2 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:25 PM

Not sure Brian, as more and more people chew up mobile bandwidth, I can honestly see it slowing Down, secondly if you are going to use the thing when traveling, what happens when you pull up in a small town, you are lucky to be able to make a phone call never name trying to get an Internet signal.
Come on 20K

Ken

#3 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

Totally agree with Ken. An idea ahead of its time, although been coming for ages. I would find having all my tools on the internet very frustrating - too much latency and speed issues. I think Apple is heading the right way.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#4 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:02 PM

It's probably the future, but internet access will definitely be an issue.

That's what I don't get about all this cloud music storage. You're going to need alot of bandwidth to access your music in the cloud when you're on the go. I guess it could come in handy sometimes though.

I can just see the Telcos and ISPs rubbing there hands together in the joy of making more money out of it.

#5 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

Maybe. Or sweating over capacity constraints. A la Vodafone, and I'm hearing murmurings that Telstra is becoming congested at peak times in the CBDs.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#6 User is offline   media-sorcerer 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:too many to mention,

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:57 PM

So what? Everyones going to just toss there os out the window and switch to having it all online in a browser? you have to be kidding,i want my apps,media and whatever local,and not dependant upon an internet connection whatsoever,in fact,in light of the rucus recently with sony,who in there right mind would trust some server somewhere with our valuable data,yes they call it the "future" of computing,but they have been wrong before.
The so called chrome book looks like its devoid of functions without a connection,is overpriced compared to other similar netbooks,underpowered,and with the price of data these day,beyond affordable,insulting really.If the cloud is supposed to be the future,then it will be fraught with nothing but frustrations,just ask sony customers who now have the potential to have money stolen,and all the hassle,no,this is not the future,its just google trying to have full control of all you do in computerland. no thanx!
ps good post too btw thanx!
i woke up and i was breathing,another good day!!!

#7 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:47 PM

View PostXenophos, on 13 May 2011 - 12:47 PM, said:

Maybe. Or sweating over capacity constraints. A la Vodafone, and I'm hearing murmurings that Telstra is becoming congested at peak times in the CBDs.

I was at the Ashes test in Perth last year and I barely had any internet access on my phone. Had trouble sending text tweets, and none of the pics I tried to send would go through.
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#8 User is offline   macingman 

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

This type of computing would be every where in 20 years time, just not now. The Chromebook seems more like a concept or experiment rather then an actual product.

#9 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:37 AM

View Postmacingman, on 15 May 2011 - 12:17 AM, said:

This type of computing would be every where in 20 years time, just not now. The Chromebook seems more like a concept or experiment rather then an actual product.

I think Apple have got it all spot on.

You are right, it does seem more like a concept.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users