Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Safari cookies reappear Help & Tips

#1 User is offline   Ralphee 

• Group: Members

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

Hi,

I am using the latest version of Safari and have noticed for a while now that even though I delete a lot of cookies, after a while when I check again - they're back! I use the "Remove" button and then the "Done" button. I've checked shortly after doing this and they're gone, but later on they are back again. Is this weird or what. I don't use "Remove all" as I don't want to have to always fill in all log-in details at some sites I regularly visit.

Any advice appreciated.

Ralph

#2 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

More than likely not so weird at all, cookies, i don't loose to much sleep over, once a month wipe'em out,

no problem

What cookies are you getting that bother you????? or is it they just turn up and you have no idea where they are coming from, that would annoy the crap out of me.

One thing would be a process of elimination

1/ Take a screen grab of the offending cookies

2/ Clear all cookies

3/ Go to each web site you frequently visit one at a time and note which cookies come in

4/ By doing the above you will eventually find the cookies that bother you and identify the site from which they come from.

Also some of the others might correct me here, but I don't think by removing cookies will effect your login details, I thought the data is kept in registry files, but i could be wrong on this.....

Mick
"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

#3 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

I don't think I have ever deleted a cookie in my life, cookies are more of a benefit than a pain, simply because if I am going to a site regularly, I would rather see an add for computer related stuff ( based on my cookie history) than adds for bras, undies, and ugg boots.
Come on 20K

Ken

#4 User is offline   Islandhead 

• Man with the big zucchini
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:IT, Mountain Biking, Gardening, Reading

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

That's an interesting way of looking at it Ken. I've always deleted mine religiously but now you've made me think
~ Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. ~ Winston Churchill

#5 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

What i made somebody think ? Don't make me look i am making sense on here, I will never live it down, o the shame :whistle:
Come on 20K

Ken

#6 User is offline   Islandhead 

• Man with the big zucchini
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:IT, Mountain Biking, Gardening, Reading

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:06 PM

Hahaha sorry Ken, what was I thinking ;)
~ Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. ~ Winston Churchill

#7 User is offline   Ralphee 

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

Mick - There are 1000 or so cookies, looks like from every site I have ever visited. Nothing sinister, I just like to maintain my privacy and reduce the amount of unnecessary clutter on my computer. As I said, I find it strange that I can delete things and they reappear later. I have now done a "Remove All" and will see if they come back.

Ralph

View Postklytia, on 05 May 2011 - 08:43 PM, said:

More than likely not so weird at all, cookies, i don't loose to much sleep over, once a month wipe'em out,

no problem

What cookies are you getting that bother you????? or is it they just turn up and you have no idea where they are coming from, that would annoy the crap out of me.

One thing would be a process of elimination

1/ Take a screen grab of the offending cookies

2/ Clear all cookies

3/ Go to each web site you frequently visit one at a time and note which cookies come in

4/ By doing the above you will eventually find the cookies that bother you and identify the site from which they come from.

Also some of the others might correct me here, but I don't think by removing cookies will effect your login details, I thought the data is kept in registry files, but i could be wrong on this.....

Mick

#8 User is offline   Ralphee 

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:21 AM

Well, they're back. I turned everything off overnight, checked this morning and there were no cookies. Signed into BigPond and got a few cookies from there. Downloaded and read a few emails. Checked cookies again and they're all back, from sites all around the world, some I visited many months ago. So what is happening (or not)?

Ralph

View PostRalphee, on 05 May 2011 - 11:46 PM, said:

Mick - There are 1000 or so cookies, looks like from every site I have ever visited. Nothing sinister, I just like to maintain my privacy and reduce the amount of unnecessary clutter on my computer. As I said, I find it strange that I can delete things and they reappear later. I have now done a "Remove All" and will see if they come back.

Ralph

#9 User is offline   Jim 

• Cruizin
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:My Mac
    Collecting Watches
    Custom built engines
    Documentaries of the universe
    Call of Duty
    Sci Fi movies

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:37 AM

How are you removing the cookies...if your going through the cookies folder it might not be enough.

Have you tried to reset safari option, clear the cookies from this option and history, not only that but if you have any web pages stuck down in top sites and bookmarks they will always come back on start up, depending on much you want to remove these cookies you may consider a full reset, however this will wipe your logins for sites and you will have to start again.

Anyway clear history and cookies and cache in safari reset, turn on private browsing this will help you reduce your cookie collection.

I don't use the feature of safari to store login information,
I use a password manager and wipe(reset)safari once a.month to keep my Mac fresh.

Anyway hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iMac 27-inch Late 2012 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7....3tb time capsule..128gig 4g wifi iPad Air...iPhone5...3rd gen Apple tv...iPod

#10 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

This just came in from MacUpdate, might be of interest to you, hope this might help link below...

cookie stumbler

Mick
"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

#11 User is offline   Ben_ 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

There might be some information of use here. Not sure why they would be reappearing, I don't use Safari, I use Firefox. I have only ever deleted individual cookies a couple of times if I have had problems with a website and they seem to stay deleted in Firefox.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users