• You cannot reply to this topic

Programming for iOS

#1 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

Well I got keen and started downloading lectures from Stamford University through iTunes U. The course is about learning to program for iOS.

It's very interesting, but 2 lectures in and all I have to say is that it's bloody confusing and I think I'm going to forget trying to learn to write iPhone and iPad Apps.

Has anyone else wanted to give it a go and learn??

I believe I would first need to learn C and C++ as well as Java, to get a grasp on programming and the Objective C language.... Something which I don't have the time or patience to do.

I just really admire all the developers out there who can create these Apps after exploring what's involved in developing them.
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#2 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• AMW Legend (R.I.P)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:42 PM

You won't get anything from those lectures unless you master Objective C. As you have stated that you don't have the patience to do so I suggest that you desist from downloading the course.
Mick

#3 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:01 PM

I won't be downloading anymore MickD.

Do you know Objective C??

#4 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

Well done Brian for giving it all a go, I did some programing years ago and found it really hard to understand, but now I wouldn't even tackle it, my hat goes of to you for trying. Self taught at many things, as well as remote post grad stuff is always tricky....

Mick
"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

#5 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:24 PM

I got iPhone Programming for Dummies through the local library.

I found doing the layout stuff was quite fun. A lot like using Pages, actually. But the coding stuff was really confusing. The only coding background I had though was some HTML from back around 2002/3, so I wasn't really expecting to keep up. However, I did feel a bit aggrieved when in the introduction to this 'dummies' book it assumed a pretty good knowledge of C++ (I think that's the one from memory). The title really should have been iPhone Programming for Experienced Coders.
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#6 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

You a brave man Brian, trying to rap your head around that stuff, My son did three years of school on programming, and after he qualified, he gave up... and decided selling macs was a lot easier than programming macs.
Come on 20K

Ken

#7 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:19 PM

Yep... I think selling them would be a lot easier and more enjoyable.

Or just using them is a joy.. That's where I'll leave it...:)

#8 Guest_Dreama_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

i just ordered a book "the complete idiots guide to iPhone app development" - yes im a complete idiot :rolleyes:

#9 User is offline   TattooedMac 

• Mr Encryption
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Aussie
    Mac Aficionado
    Beta Tester #iOSDeveloper
    Photographer ~ #CogFrogStudios
    Aperture & NIK Plugins
    #Kickstarter Backer
    #HTML & #CSS

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Thought i would revive a old thread and give my take on it :italiamac_rolleyes:

View PostBrianB, on 16 April 2011 - 09:27 PM, said:

Has anyone else wanted to give it a go and learn??

Yes i have. I have a lot of time on my hands atm, and am teaching myself so i can get my idea onto the App Store.

I believe I would first need to learn C and C++ as well as Java, to get a grasp on programming and the Objective C language.... Something which I don't have the time or patience to do.

You are correct. Im teaching myself C first sat that is the foundation of Obj-C. I started leaning Obj-C through Udemy online course and those through iTunes U, BUT found the iTunes U courses where old. Meaning they where using Xcode 4 for Lion and now we are up to Xcode 4.6.2 for ML and it is a lot different. You are following on and suddenly you can't find something or Apple have made things easier in the latest .v, but not knowing that and trying to follow on through the courses makes it hard. Like they made a change with the viewController and tableViewController . . . I to stopped trying to MAKE MY App and have gone back, way back to learning C by itself and Cocoa.

I just really admire all the developers out there who can create these Apps after exploring what's involved in developing them.

Yes same here. Being in the Dev Forum in the Developers Portal, some of the questions asked, just totally confuse me, but still someone comes through with the answer to the problem. A lot of Devs, have done it up and all through their schooling years, becoming Computer Engineers leading to Programming, but it takes a lot of nouse to know what you need to know.
Im stoked when i get a bug, then after some playing around find the answer, compile and run it and it works. I have made a few simple Apps one from a Template, but made it like the retro Galaga/Space Invaders. Fun, challenging and totally satisfying once you get the hang of it :)
Posted Image

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
2012 13" MBP i7 - 10.9 Mavericks…..iPhone5 - 7.0.3…….iPad Min i - 7.0.3…….ATV2 - 5.2.1…….3TB TimeCapsule…….3x Airport Express…….PPC G3 Blue & White 450 MHz

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users