Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: Apple refuse to help with failed WD hard drive - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple refuse to help with failed WD hard drive

#1 User is offline   hazza 

• Power user
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:10 PM

Hi

Has anyone here ever had an issue with Apple (online store) refusing to assist them with failed third party products?

I bought a WD Mybook Studio when I bought a mac mini from them last year (July). One of the drives in the Mybook studio has failed. I called Apple who told me to call WD, so I did. WD are fine and accept that it needs replacing and have given me the authorisation to send it back to them for a replacement; catch is that it needs to be sent to the US.

To send this back to the US and insure it is going to cost me about $80. Now to me this is not my issue as it's within 12 months of purchase and the product has failed - Apple should take it back and resolve it themselves with WD. They are saying that they won't do anything about it as it's outside of their 14 day 'policy'. Had I purchased it in store it would be a different matter - they claim I can't compare as they're different companies; whatever, they may be different companies but they're still basically Apple and the fact is I bought the product from them and they have a duty to remedy the fact that the product is now faulty and within warranty. I actually don't think their policy matters, general consumer protection should.

I don't mind posting it back myself, the fact is that I don't think I should be out of pocket for a faulty product Apple sold me. All I really want is the postage to be covered by them - I'm not asking for a refund........

Any thoughts or similar issues from anyone? I'm not impressed and it will definitely make me think twice about ever buying a third party product from them again in the online store!

Thanks

Hazza

#2 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

Not flash service, but as a side note, I have been through 2 of those external drives, most of them lasted 4 to 6 months, after that I tossed them in the bin.

But back to the subject at hand, depending on how much you paid for it, if it wasnt much more than the cost of the return freight, I would cut your loses and toss it out, and chalk it up to experience.
Come on 20K

Ken

#3 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

I would ring Consumer Affairs or whatever that department is now called. I have a feeling that the vendor has a responsibility on products they have sold.
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#4 User is offline   arcanedevice 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:17 AM

View Posthazza, on 11 April 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

Now to me this is not my issue as it's within 12 months of purchase and the product has failed - Apple should take it back and resolve it themselves with WD.

Correct. The company that sold you the goods are responsible for making good provided you are within the warranty period provided by the manufacturer. Even if the warranty had expired, they are still responsible if the item is not fit for purpose or does not meet expected life. Just out of interest, when did you buy the product (ie, how close to the 12 months is it).

View Posthazza, on 11 April 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

They are saying that they won't do anything about it as it's outside of their 14 day 'policy'.

Their policy has no legal standing against the national and state based consumer protection laws - they cannot exclude warranty coverage just because their policy says so. Get onto your local Consumer Affairs who will rectify this for you and make them compliant. Most likely, Apple will have to swap the item out and it is then up to them to resolve with WD.

Let's just hope you got a person with limited knowledge and that this is representative of Apple overall.

#5 User is offline   hazza 

• Power user
  • Pip

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for your responses all.

The drive is 9 months old and was a $400 drive which is why I was feeling a bit put out.....

Good news is though, Apple have decided they are going to replace it for me and take up the warranty issue themselves with WD, so I'm happy now and have faith back with Apple!

#6 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

How on earth did you convince them to do that ?
Come on 20K

Ken

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users