Running Windows on a MacPro?

#1 User is offline   OldMacDonald 

• Group: Members
  • Interests:My Family.
    Outdoor anything.
    60s & 70s V8 Fords.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

Greetings all,

I have moved across from the PC world into the parallel universe of Apple and I can say unreservedly. Wow. I even asked a chap in an Apple Store why it appears to me that Apple creates and provides things that solve or prevent problems when to my mind the other crowd did not. The reply was simple, instantaneous and I am sure not rehearsed. "Apple makes software, phones, computers etc and Microsoft makes money."

I now have a problem I am unsure of how solve. I need to run an engine management program and it requires MS Windows XP and several older versions.

I understand that there is a Windows for Mac program but where to buy?
Will running Windows open my Mac to a virus risk?

Any other tips or suggestions much appreciated.

Steve

#2 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

Welcome to the forum Steve, Here's a link that might help PARALLELS FOR DESKTOP 6, there is also Boot camp assistant in your Applications>utilities, here's the link to Mac 101,

There are plenty of forumites who use these programs, i don't, I keep my Mac clean of anything to do with the dark side...:rolleyes:

Some of the others will chip in, i am sure....

Mick

Again Welcome, feel free to participate we are a friendly lot... :hi:
"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

#3 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:32 AM

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forums.

You can run Windows on your Mac. There are a couple of options.

Bootcamp is included with Mac OS X. (Well, 10.5 onwards.) The problem with Bootcamp is that you need to either boot up in one OS or the other.

The other option is a virtualisation program that runs from within Mac OS itself. VMWare and Parallels are the two most prominent examples, although there are others.

I have not used any of the above methods much. Mainly because I have no need, and an intense dislike, for Windows.

VMWare and Parallels are widely available. If you don't have a local software shop, then the Apple website has VMware, Parallels Switch, and Parallels.

The virus question is a bit trickier. Yes, running Windows will open up your Mac to viruses. But I am not sure how far beyond your Windows installation they can penetrate. Somebody else should be able to provide more detail.

That's a very basic overview, but hopefully it helps get you started.
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#4 User is offline   arcanedevice 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

View PostOldMacDonald, on 29 March 2011 - 09:02 AM, said:

I understand that there is a Windows for Mac program but where to buy?

VM Ware Fusion and Parallels are the two major players if you want to run Windows without losing Mac functionality and environment. I find Fusion slightly more 'user friendly' in setting up a new machine, but that comes down to preference. They both run pretty much the same but I like the fact that with Fusion you can change some of your machine settings while the machine is still open. Parallels may do the same, but I haven't found the option for it in my limited sessions with it. You can get them online or through most Mac resellers or the Apple Store. I believe that Fusion were running a rebate program up until 31/3, while Parallels was available at 50% off through the MacUpdate promo bundle but that might have closed now.

View PostOldMacDonald, on 29 March 2011 - 09:02 AM, said:

Will running Windows open my Mac to a virus risk?

In short, the answer is yes. Technically the Mac will be open to Windows nasties if you share cross-platform files (ie, Office etc), but you can restrict the impact by turning of file sharing between your two machines. Fortunately, both products above include a 'complimentary' subscription to different AV products but they are fairly basic so don't rely solely on them.

#5 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

Steve welcome to the forums, I see you are referring to automotive software on your Mac, I am assuming you are not talking about Efi diagnostic software ( I can't imagine you sitting a Mac pro box on somebody's seat ) so I am guessing you are talking about mechanic or workshop, or one of the other well known programs most mechanics use.

If the program is mechanic, just be careful when installing it on another computer, as petroject won't let you install it on anything but a pure PC, and usually one running DOS, or win 95. If it's one of the other programs, you won't have a problem.
Come on 20K

Ken

#6 User is offline   OldMacDonald 

Outdoor anything.
    60s & 70s V8 Fords.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, suggestions and advice folks,

My need for running the windows based engine management program (Motec M800) is great but not as much as maintaining a clean Mac so I think I will look at an alternative. I have an old PC laptop that with a good clean and purge should suit my needs I think. Must remember to have my needles before touching it though. :)

Cheers
Steve

#7 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:45 AM

Steve if you are running Motec software on it, any of the above emulation software suggested wont be a problem.
Come on 20K

Ken

#8 User is offline   OldMacDonald 

Outdoor anything.
    60s & 70s V8 Fords.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:20 AM

Thanks Ken,
Have been thinking about how I will use the Motec software and since I will be both uploading and downloading both programs and maps etc I thought it would be better to have the flexibility of my Mac to do so.
I will now check out both programs.
Thankyou again.

Steve

#9 User is offline   jaelle 

• Interests:photography, cycling

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

I've just loaded Windows 7 onto my MacBook Pro 13" Core i7.

Is there any way when using the trackpad to get the equivalent of a right click menu? I can scroll up and down, and two finger up and down, but that's it. Is there another key I can use to get the right click function, or am I now stuck with using a mouse?

Hope someone can help me with this, would be much appreciated.

.... problem solved

#10 User is offline   lemoon 

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

Well, you can run Windows on the Mac, here are some tips might do some help for you: http://www.vmware.co...n/overview.html
http://www.everymac....ows-on-mac-faq/
http://store.apple.c...e/guide/windows

#11 User is offline   jaelle 

• Interests:photography, cycling

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:41 PM

thanks for those links lemoon, reading them now :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users