• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HDMI output to DVI input question

#1 User is offline   Ben_ 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

This question isn't directly related to any Apple product but maybe someone can help me here anyway.

I have been given a box called an Imation Media Link. It's one of those things like the WD devices that lets you play video files stored on a portable hard drive on your TV.

The problem is, I don't have a suitable input to plug it into. I was also given the TV a couple of years ago and it's a bit busted. I only have 2 normal inputs on the tv, one composite input that is broken and one working component input. The component input has my set top box plugged in so that's out. But it does have a VGA port and a DVI port. Now, the Imation box has Component or HDMI. I thought that I could use a HDMI cable with a HDMI to DVI converter and plug it into the DVI port.

Here's what I'm not sure about:

The box outputs via HDMI at 480p, 576p and upscales to 720p or 1080i. The DVI port, however, accepts input at resolutions of 640x480, 800x600 or 1024x768.

Will it work plugging it in this way? I don't know what the exact resolutions of 480p etc. are and if they are compatible with the input resolutions of the TV.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users