Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: Quick Handbrake Question - Macworld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quick Handbrake Question

#1 User is offline   BrianB 

  • Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,490
  • Joined: 13-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lane Cove, Sydney
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:45 PM

I was wondering when you rip a DVD in Handbrake and then you import it to your iTunes library, do you then delete the original you imported, or is there a way to rip the DVD and have it automatically added to your iTunes library, so you don't end up with 2 movie files. As you are probably aware when you add a movie file to your iTunes library it makes a copy of it and puts it in the relevant folder, so you end up with 2 files the same, the original and the one you added to iTunes.
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!
0

#2 User is online   JamieD 

  • (geekus cynicus extremis)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,366
  • Joined: 28-July 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dunedin, NZ
  • Interests:I geek therefore I am!

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

I don't believe that there is but from memory if you convert using Handbrake then tag and put into iTunes using iFlicks then it can delete the original file after putting it in to iTunes and you have the advantage that everything it tagged correctly for that day in the future when you get your Apple TV
0

#3 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

  • Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,673
  • Joined: 02-April 12
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

I import to itunes and delete the original.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."
0

#4 User is offline   BrianB 

  • Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,490
  • Joined: 13-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lane Cove, Sydney
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

View PostDragonFire, on 16 September 2010 - 04:25 PM, said:

I don't believe that there is but from memory if you convert using Handbrake then tag and put into iTunes using iFlicks then it can delete the original file after putting it in to iTunes and you have the advantage that everything it tagged correctly for that day in the future when you get your Apple TV

Thanks Jamie. Can you please explain to me what you mean about tagging the file? I was also trying to find the comprehensive instructions you wrote about ripping DVDs and putting them into iTunes, but I can't find it. Do you remember where you wrote it?
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!
0

#5 User is offline   Geoffals 

  • Power user
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: 22-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melbourne
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Technology, Movies, Family

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:25 PM

I keep my movie files on a separate folder so that I can access easily with my Beyonwiz PVR. Also my iTunes folder is on the internal drive so i really don't have the space on that drive for a lot of movies. When importing to iTunes I uncheck the box that asks if you want to make a copy... in effect iTunes just references the original handbrake file on the external
drive which I have connect all the time.
0

#6 User is online   JamieD 

  • (geekus cynicus extremis)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,366
  • Joined: 28-July 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dunedin, NZ
  • Interests:I geek therefore I am!

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:33 AM

View Postbornstein75, on 16 September 2010 - 11:19 PM, said:

Thanks Jamie. Can you please explain to me what you mean about tagging the file? I was also trying to find the comprehensive instructions you wrote about ripping DVDs and putting them into iTunes, but I can't find it. Do you remember where you wrote it?


Tagging files is adding information to them that includes the name of the movie/TV episode along with a short description and cover art which enables it to "look nice" in iTunes, on Apple TV etc. It's kind of like adding album artwork to music in iTunes but a little more comprehensive as it enables you to easily see if a TV episode is the one you are looking for as it now contains the season and episode numbers along with a title, description/synposis and artwork enabling you to easily see at a glance if this is what you are looking for,

The basic instructions I wrote in another thread on ripping/converting/tagging can be found here
0

#7 User is offline   BrianB 

  • Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,490
  • Joined: 13-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lane Cove, Sydney
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for this... :D

Just a few other questions. There are so many ways to do the same thing, sometimes I wonder what really is the best way to do it. I've now looked at Ripit and you can actually convert the DVD you rip into the appropriate format...Apple TV, Iphone etc...so why would you first create a disk image of the DVD and then run it through Handbrake, when you can just skip the Handbrake step and just use Ripit?

Also does Rip it rip encrypted DVDs like Handbrake with VLC?
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!
0

#8 User is online   JamieD 

  • (geekus cynicus extremis)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,366
  • Joined: 28-July 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dunedin, NZ
  • Interests:I geek therefore I am!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

I personally don't use RipIt but did test its "rip and convert" option but it lacked the granular control I wanted. With Handbrake I can make sure I rip the Dolby Surround sound track and put it into the AppleTV compatible container and it also seems to rip at higher bitrate giving a better picture.

Both RipIt and Mac DVDRipperPro (MDRP) use their own algorithms to rip the encrypted DVDs. Personally I use MDRP as I find it more reliable and slightly faster on my Mac.

The reason that I rip to image then convert is to save wear and tear on the DVD drive in the Mac and for speed - on the newer Macs if you try to rip and convert at the same time I have read that it does the ripping in 1 x speed ie. a 2 hour movie will take at least 2 hours to rip and convert.
0

#9 User is offline   BrianB 

  • Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,490
  • Joined: 13-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lane Cove, Sydney
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:57 PM

Thanks once again.

Just another question. Have you used Mac The Ripper? I'm just looking for a free option to save my DVDs as a disk image before running them through handbrake.
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!
0

#10 User is offline   Dylstra 

  • Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,780
  • Joined: 09-February 08

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:47 PM

MacTheRipper is a funny one. I haven't used it in a while. From memory the free version is 2.x (2.4.5?). But if you have Leopard or later you'll need a 3.x version. Which required joining a forum and donating.

If you can get MacTheRipper, then it works pretty well. It does have the occasional problem with encrypted DVDs. From memory, there is also no way to control the output size. Which, depending on what you want to do with the output file, can be troublesome and space-consuming.
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is
0

#11 User is offline   BrianB 

  • Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,490
  • Joined: 13-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lane Cove, Sydney
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for the input Dylstra

I just realized how cheap I'm being. DVDPro only costs $10. Ha ha.. I think I can afford that..:)
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!
0

#12 User is offline   BrianB 

  • Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,490
  • Joined: 13-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lane Cove, Sydney
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

I've tested DVD Ripper pro and it works great...I've also tested Ripit and it grinds my computer to a halt...everything slows down...really bad bit of software.....so I guess DVD Ripper pro is the way to go.

Just another question...once I have created the disk image using DVD Ripper pro...if I wanted to use that disk image to make a copy/burn onto another DVD, so i have a backup of the DVD, how do I go about doing that? I've tried using Toast, but Toast says that it doesn't recognise the disk image file?
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!
0

#13 User is online   JamieD 

  • (geekus cynicus extremis)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,366
  • Joined: 28-July 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dunedin, NZ
  • Interests:I geek therefore I am!

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

View Postbornstein75, on 20 September 2010 - 11:44 PM, said:

<br />I've tested DVD Ripper pro and it works great...I've also tested Ripit and it grinds my computer to a halt...everything slows down...really bad bit of software.....so I guess DVD Ripper pro is the way to go.

Just another question...once I have created the disk image using DVD Ripper pro...if I wanted to use that disk image to make a copy/burn onto another DVD, so i have a backup of the DVD, how do I go about doing that? I've tried using Toast, but Toast says that it doesn't recognise the disk image file?


Rename the file to end in .iso and see if that helps. From memory Toast needs to see it as an iso file
0

#14 User is offline   actionmarker 

  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 25-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Port Macquarie

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:28 AM

View PostBrianB, on 15 September 2010 - 10:45 PM, said:

I was wondering when you rip a DVD in Handbrake and then you import it to your iTunes library, do you then delete the original you imported, or is there a way to rip the DVD and have it automatically added to your iTunes library, so you don't end up with 2 movie files. As you are probably aware when you add a movie file to your iTunes library it makes a copy of it and puts it in the relevant folder, so you end up with 2 files the same, the original and the one you added to iTunes.

Hi Brian,

I know this ones months after you originally posted.

I don't know if you are aware, but the current versions of iTunes does have an automatically add feature hidden away in it.
I noticed it I think in version 10.1 or so.
When you rip anything, movie music, etc if you rip it to the /Users/---/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Automatically Add to iTunes folder, the next time you open iTunes, the files there are, as it says, automatically added to iTunes.
I rip my DVDs using Handbrake directly to this folder and once complete open iTunes and the movie automatically gets loaded into the movies folder and deleted from the original folder. This way there are no duplicates that you have to get rid of later.

The only catch that I have seen, is if the files are added to this folder when iTunes is running, will be added to a subfolder called something like 'not added' and you have to manually move them out of the sub folder to get them into iTunes.

A
0

#15 User is offline   Dylstra 

  • Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,780
  • Joined: 09-February 08

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

Awesome!! Thanks for the tip.
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is
0

#16 User is offline   actionmarker 

  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 25-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Port Macquarie

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

No problems.
0

#17 User is offline   BrianB 

  • Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,490
  • Joined: 13-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lane Cove, Sydney
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

View Postactionmarker, on 17 June 2011 - 01:28 AM, said:

Hi Brian,

I know this ones months after you originally posted.

I don't know if you are aware, but the current versions of iTunes does have an automatically add feature hidden away in it.
I noticed it I think in version 10.1 or so.
When you rip anything, movie music, etc if you rip it to the /Users/---/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Automatically Add to iTunes folder, the next time you open iTunes, the files there are, as it says, automatically added to iTunes.
I rip my DVDs using Handbrake directly to this folder and once complete open iTunes and the movie automatically gets loaded into the movies folder and deleted from the original folder. This way there are no duplicates that you have to get rid of later.

The only catch that I have seen, is if the files are added to this folder when iTunes is running, will be added to a subfolder called something like 'not added' and you have to manually move them out of the sub folder to get them into iTunes.

A


Thanks for that tip..:)
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users