• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advice on new mobile

#1 User is offline   Ben_ 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

Ok, I am hoping to upgrade my mobile soon. Ideally I would like an iPhone 4 but the budget doesn't stretch that far! On my current plan ($29 cap with Three) there are a few options, but I am trying to choose between the Samsung Jet and the Blackberry Storm 1 9500.

Does anyone have either of these phones and can comment on them, particularly in terms of battery life and call quality. I am looking at a touch screen model but the most important features for me are battery life, call quality and a good organiser with reminders etc. Mac compatibility is a secondary requirement but is more of a bonus really. I wouldn't mine being able to download a few free apps and install them either.

Here are the pros and cons of each phone as I see it:

Samsung Jet:

Pros:
Fast processor
Nice screen
Reasonable battery life

Cons:
Proprietary software with limited number of available apps
No support for iSync or any mac software that I can find

Blackberry Storm:

Pros:
Good organiser (I think)
Mac compatiblity (I think)
Nice screen

Cons:
Laggy interface from what I have read
Strange way of selecting things (the screen depresses to click like a glass trackpad)
Battery life? It is supposed to have a good battery but I have read posts by people who say they get poor batter life from their Storm.
No WiFi - WiFi is a bonus for me but it would be nice I guess
Poor built in browser - again, not a huge priority

I am leaning towards the Storm at the moment but would appreciate any input!

#2 User is offline   JamieD 

• (geekus cynicus extremis)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I geek therefore I am!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

Having set up something between 50 and 80 Blackberries over the last 2 years I would highly recommend against the storm. The interface is very hard to use: touch the item (if it senses properly) and then press down the entire screen to activate it. When you press the screen down it often loses the selection of what you are pressing and you have to try again. The Bolds and Curves don't suffer from this problem but are a slightly more basic phone although they do have good screens and do handle email pretty well and have reasonable battery life and call sound quality. I can't comment on the Samsung having never used one.

Have you considered buying a second hand iPhone 3G or 3GS from someone who wants to upgrade to an iPhone 4 and use this in the meantime until the iPhone 4's come down in price?

#3 User is offline   Ben_ 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info DragonFire. It's a shame, the Storm looks like potentially a great phone, just a shame they got the touchscreen so wrong.

At this stage I wasn't going to purchase a phone outright. I just can't justify the expense so I was going to pick a phone that came for $0 on my current cap plan. That is why I am so limited in which phone I can choose.

I'm still not convinced about the jet so maybe I'll hold off on upgrading and see if any other phones become available.

There are some other phones available. I can get the Nokia E71 which is apparently a good phone but it looks bulky with it's full qwerty keyboard. There is a Nokia X6 but that doesn't seem like the best phone either.

I wanted an Android phone but all they have on my plan is the LG optimus which didn't get good reviews. I really like the Samsung Galaxy but it is also out of my price range.

Other than that there is the LG mini, Nokia 6700, 2730 or the n97 mini.

From Sony Ericcson there is the Xperia X10 or X10 mini pro.

There are a few others but that's about it.

#4 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

I'm on a tight budget too, but I made room for an iP4. What I didn't make room for was all the extra apps and music I was buying because it was so easy. :(
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#5 User is offline   Ben_ 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:46 PM

I'm leaning towards the Nokia N97 mini now. It seems like a pretty solid phone. Not quite as flash as an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy but will hopefully fulfil my needs for now.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users