Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: Unlocking an iPhone 3G after contract finished - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unlocking an iPhone 3G after contract finished

#1 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

Does anyone know how to get their original iPhone unlocked after their previous contract has expired.

Having upgraded to an iPhone 4, my old 3G which was with Optus appears to still be locked as I tried inserting a Telstra Sim into it and it doesn't work. So how do I go about unlocking it?

Do you think Optus can do it for free for me seeing as though that phone is out of contract?
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#2 User is offline   golfer 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Gynocology

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

Yes, I did this a few months before jumping to Telstra. I rang Optus and said I was going overseas and wanted to use a local sim card and it was unlocked within 48 hours at no charge.

#3 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

Thanks golfer...:) but now the phone has no Sim card in it, so how can it be unlocked?

Do you find Testra better? I bet you do...:)

#4 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

If you've cancelled your Optus contract you might have to JB it.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#5 User is offline   Steve Jobs Junior 

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

Hi 'bornstein75'
I have the new iPhone 4 and my old 3G which my wife wanted was out of contract,I just rang Optus customer service and they unlocked it over the phone dead simple and no charge
Cheers steve

#6 User is offline   rick 

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

I have just gone through the process of unlocking an optus phone. You need to know the optus phone number as the only way that optus can unlock the phone is to link the phone number with the phones imei number. I didn't know the number so I had to buy a $120.00 pre-paid sim and then optus unlocked it, it took about 5 minutes on the phone to a call centre person (I found one that really helped me, and explained the process). He rang me to help with the unlocking then rang back after I restored the phone through itunes, to check if all was ok, it was.

So if you have the expired optus number then you are half way there.

Good luck.

#7 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

Thanks guys, but what if the phone has no sim card in it? Do I now have to get a pre-paid sim to pop into the phone so they can unlock it?

#8 User is offline   rick 

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:24 AM

Do you still know the phone number that was used for that phone? If so, when you ring optus tech support you give them the number and the imei number and then they can unlock it. Once they have done their part you need to connect to itunes and restore the phone. Ask tech support if you need a sim card to do the restore through itunes. Once you have done the restore you should get a message advising "Congratulations your phone has been unlocked" then you can put in any carriers sim card.

#9 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:12 AM

Thanks Rick...but i just realised I threw out the original sim card that was in that phone.....did that have the imei number on it?

#10 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:17 AM

Just realised the imei number is in the preferences on the phone...so it should be fine for me to get it unlocked. Thanks Rick.

#11 User is offline   jessi 

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostBrianB, on 03 August 2010 - 09:03 PM, said:

Does anyone know how to get their original iPhone unlocked after their previous contract has expired.

Having upgraded to an iPhone 4, my old 3G which was with Optus appears to still be locked as I tried inserting a Telstra Sim into it and it doesn't work. So how do I go about unlocking it?

Do you think Optus can do it for free for me seeing as though that phone is out of contract?

Hi you can easily unlock your iphone3g by using remote unlock method. If you need remote unlocking service you can visit this site Onlinegsmunlock.com here you can get the service and unlock your iphone3g easily. After unlock your mobile you can put telstra sim card and any other sim card in your iphone3g mobile.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users